2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Brora moved their game v Lossiemouth to Golspie on Wednesday at 7.5hrs notice.

Sad to see once proud clubs reduced to the footballing equivalent of a travelling circus.

For all of Brora's faults that doesn't bother me, just trying to get the game played. Buckie on the other hand asked to play tomorrow's game in Lossiemouth, and now want to give 5.5 hours notice in case they want to move it back to Buckie, that's properly taking the pish. 

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Brora moved their game v Lossiemouth to Golspie on Wednesday at 7.5hrs notice.

Sad to see once proud clubs reduced to the footballing equivalent of a travelling circus.

Can you imagine the uproar if this happened in the SPFL

10 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Tayport, Fort William and Golspie Sutherland are also licensed; although unless there are masses of points deductions for other clubs, aren't going to be winning any leagues.

Aye of course I meant of the teams in the running to win leagues

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Screws things up for the fans too, you need to book an earlier train for Buckie because of the bus connections at Elgin, 

Why would you need to book a specific train to go from Inverness to Elgin? 

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would you need to book a specific train to go from Inverness to Elgin? 

If you book in advance it can be cheaper to book a specified return to Aberdeen than an anytime return to Elgin. And there can be all sorts of reasons why leaving earlier than expected causes problems, especially when Buckie asked for the game to be played at Lossiemouth.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If you book in advance it can be cheaper to book a specified return to Aberdeen than an anytime return to Elgin. 

Not buying that as a legitimate grounds for complaint one bit. Either jump on the train regardless or take the L for an obvious nonsense workaround to save a tiny amount of money.

Neither outcome is Buckie's problem here - although other causes for complaint are valid.

3 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

Aye of course I meant of the teams in the running to win leagues

Cheers for the info.

Are alot of teams working towards licences to get into Highland League or are most not arsed about getting promotion?

I'm assuming floodlights and ground improvements are the stumbling blocks for most tier six in Highlands?

36 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Cheers for the info.

Are alot of teams working towards licences to get into Highland League or are most not arsed about getting promotion?

I'm assuming floodlights and ground improvements are the stumbling blocks for most tier six in Highlands?

Someone will have a definite list but I have heard Dyce and most of the usual suspects at the top end of the midland league have enquired. There doesn’t seem to be much interest apart from maybe Bridge of Don from the North Juniors and no one new in the North Caledonian are anywhere near. (Watch as Halkirk or Orkney go and get themselves one now)

The biggest barrier I think in the NCL is building a wall around the pitch, most clubs don't have the ownership rights to do that, far less the money for it and everything else involved. There are some cracking grounds, Bunillidh Thistle have a great place to watch football with a top notch social club, sadly in abeyance but hopefully back next season, zero chance of licensing though. Golspie have no interest in moving up so in the medium term it's only a return for Fort William as an unlikely prospect, unless Strathspey Thistle find an opponent for the play offs, in which case I think they'll be a lot harder to beat than most people suspect.

54 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Someone will have a definite list but I have heard Dyce and most of the usual suspects at the top end of the midland league have enquired. There doesn’t seem to be much interest apart from maybe Bridge of Don from the North Juniors and no one new in the North Caledonian are anywhere near. (Watch as Halkirk or Orkney go and get themselves one now)

I had planned to go to watch Orkney at Rockworks Park before they moved to a school cage in Kirkwall, fuckthem... 

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I had planned to go to watch Orkney at Rockworks Park before they moved to a school cage in Kirkwall, fuckthem... 

It's been weird for a while. They had the park (I assume Rockworks) just off the ferry that looked perfect to grow from, never played there and they hardly seem to have played a home match on the island since. 

Just now, Quentin Taranbino said:

I read an article with Loch Ness saying they would jump at chance of promotion to HL and have looked at ground sharing possibilities with Caley or the rugby club 

Take that with a LARGE pinch of salt. Although Loch Ness seem to have their shit together more than Inverness Athletic ever had tbf

2 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I read an article with Loch Ness saying they would jump at chance of promotion to HL and have looked at ground sharing possibilities with Caley or the rugby club 

Could be wrong but I don't think the Rugby club would meet entry level criteria, it's a very expensive cage with a fancy social club. 

2 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

If you get a chance to read about Inverness City and the hassle they had trying to get somewhere to play Junior League football in Inverness. 

A groundshare makes it more possible but there is no chance they will be allowed sufficient availability of the park to be a licensed team there... imo

Just now, Spyro said:

If you get a chance to read about Inverness City and the hassle they had trying to get somewhere to play Junior League football in Inverness. 

A groundshare makes it more possible but there is no chance they will be allowed sufficient availability of the park to be a licensed team there... imo

The thing that did City in was choosing the North Juniors rather than the NCL. The NJ had tighter ground rules but loads of cage style grounds (which were acceptable) in Aberdeenshire when there were next to none around Inverness. Now they're all the rage. Inverness Athletic are now on the ground that the North Juniors didn't find acceptable for City, a cracking pitch in North Kessock, although it could have been the neighbours complaining about the bad language, my memory's fading.. 

The shinty pitch at Inverarnie had potential but I don't know what happened there... Then Muir of Ord, which could be a decent ground.

Out of the NCL, Tain have the park, land and space but are only just there and will be just looking to stabilise and Halkirk moved across the road too for more space. I don't know if any of them have got round to moving the changing rooms though

Edited by Spyro

10 minutes ago, Spyro said:

The shinty pitch at Inverarnie had potential but I don't know what happened there... Then Muir of Ord, which could be a decent ground.

Out of the NCL, Tain have the park, land and space but are only just there and will be just looking to stabilise and Halkirk moved across the road too for more space. I don't know if any of them have got round to moving the changing rooms though

I've heard Halkirk is a shithole with no changing rooms, a farmer had a brief period of enthusiasm but lost interest. Never been though so don't take this as gospel, keep hoping Clach get drawn against them in the North Cup but it's always fucking Brora. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've heard Halkirk is a shithole with no changing rooms, a farmer had a brief period of enthusiasm but lost interest. Never been though so don't take this as gospel, keep hoping Clach get drawn against them in the North Cup but it's always fucking Brora. 

They seem to have brief spurts of enthusiasm, next I'm reading they are taking a year out! They are like the daft village team from Caithness who's only purpose is to piss off Thurso and Wick, I've always liked them for that!

Brora is grim, give me Golspie any day for a game. 

I've been to the ground once but there wasn't a game. You are correct though, it's a group of houses in the middle of the Caithness wilderness and 2 lined fields that are cut a bit shorter than the ones the sheep are in.