Who will be the next Celtic manager?

The next Celtic manager  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I think that Celtic fans may well be disappointed when they discover that more than half their players are only there because of Big Ange. Celtic will find out shortly that they will have a load of unhappy players who will be looking to move on. 

I can’t imagine the likes of Carter-Vickers, O’Reilly, Hatate, Jota & Kyogo will be wanting to hang around Scotland too long, even more so now that the man who persuaded them to come to Scotland, has left.

Luckily for them, The Rangers have a spiv in charge 

58 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

It would be fine if their 'style' had any substance to it. The Bodo games - from what I remember - Celtic had the vast majority of the ball and Bodo just picked them off. Again, that's defensive frailty. Bodo weren't some low budget swashbuckling side. 

The climb down from that particular poster on Brendan Rodgers - in the space of a week - is fucking hilarious too.

Which is why we should be paying the £2 mil to get Knutsen.

The style does have substance and he’s done it while spending well and developing the players. A few of that side that battered us have moved on to bigger clubs such as Solbakken who went to Roma.

Brendan Rodgers will win us the league, Knutsen will do that too whilst I believe making us much more effective in Europe.

52 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I can’t imagine the likes of Carter-Vickers, O’Reilly, Hatate, Jota & Kyogo will be wanting to hang around Scotland too long, even more so now that the man who persuaded them to come to Scotland, has left.

Luckily for them, The Rangers have a spiv in charge 

I know I’m from Annan and you the mighty Dons but do you not think that the next manager Celtic appoint might just have a plan ? As you correctly say hes only competing against a man that make Arthur Daley sound intelligent.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

It would be fine if their 'style' had any substance to it. The Bodo games - from what I remember - Celtic had the vast majority of the ball and Bodo just picked them off. Again, that's defensive frailty. Bodo weren't some low budget swashbuckling side. 

The climb down from that particular poster on Brendan Rodgers - in the space of a week - is fucking hilarious too.

Exactly. I get the whole idea of wanting to play well in Europe and get the results as well, but you need to be pragmatic. The Celtic response to their 3-0 defeat to Real Madrid summed it up. There is absolutely no shame in being battered by Real, but it was verging on delusional the way some went on about a good half an hour.

Walter Smith played probably the most eye-bleeding style of football I can remember seeing in Europe, but in 2008 he recognised what our strengths were (defending) and played to suit it. You need to adapt in Europe.

11 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yes but ultimately he failed at Liverpool and Leicester hence why he was sacked.

I was being serious - what clubs at the top level fear him ? Just interested to know your thoughts.

I don't think any clubs at the top level fear him or Celtic, but I do think Rangers fear him and he's the last person they want to see back at Celtic Park. 

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I think that Celtic fans may well be disappointed when they discover that more than half their players are only there because of Big Ange. Celtic will find out shortly that they will have a load of unhappy players who will be looking to move on. 

Not sure there is any evidence for this. There's no suggestion of division, disruptive behaviour or unhappiness in the dressing room. That said if players do want to go that's just football isn't it. They all have at least two years on their contracts so if they do go then we'll make money on them and reinvest it. 

10 hours ago, AJF said:

Surely your first sentence is the point?

It feels as though you’re turning your nose up at playing effective football just because of the style.

Celtic don't have the players to sit in and hold teams at bay for 90 minutes. We're asking for trouble if we do that. If we attack then at least we'll give them something to think about. I'm not saying go gung-ho and go for the throat every time, but come on. Season tickets, champions league tickets, cup tickets and everything else - it's a fortune. Nobody wants to pay for all that to watch their team park the bus and hope for the best.

9 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Which is why we should be paying the £2 mil to get Knutsen.

The style does have substance and he’s done it while spending well and developing the players. A few of that side that battered us have moved on to bigger clubs such as Solbakken who went to Roma.

Brendan Rodgers will win us the league, Knutsen will do that too whilst I believe making us much more effective in Europe.

Agreed.

Especially when I got him @ 14/1 

32 minutes ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

Celtic don't have the players to sit in and hold teams at bay for 90 minutes. We're asking for trouble if we do that. If we attack then at least we'll give them something to think about. I'm not saying go gung-ho and go for the throat every time, but come on. Season tickets, champions league tickets, cup tickets and everything else - it's a fortune. Nobody wants to pay for all that to watch their team park the bus and hope for the best.

The last thing any manager should be concerned with is the opinion of a fan when considering which approach gives them the best opportunity to achieve a good result. It’s literally their job and they’ll be judged more harshly if they fail to adapt to the situations requirements.

At times it isn’t pretty but in general, how many times will a Celtic fan need to go through it a season? Not very many.

Arguably one of Celtic’s most famous results of recent times, the win against Barcelona, was the result of parking the bus and being clinical with the few chances you might create.

Nicholson and McKay apparently away out to Majorca for talks with Rodgers.

Can see the interview unveiling Rodgers now, he will be telling us the ghost of Bertie Auld visited and told him he must come back 🙄

Edited by Jinky67

If it is Rodgers I really hope it backfires. The appointment won't be a popular one with a lot of Celtic fans. Despite his obvious qualities as a manager, a couple of poor results early on could see pressure mount on him quite quickly.

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

If it is Rodgers I really hope it backfires. The appointment won't be a popular one with a lot of Celtic fans. Despite his obvious qualities as a manager, a couple of poor results early on could see pressure mount on him quite quickly.

He is more popular than someone like Maresca considering his lack of experience and poor showing with Parma.

I think how Ange left has softened the feeling towards Rodgers and most fan polls seem to be in favour of him coming back (this could also be due to the other names being mentioned) but as you mention he won’t be popular with everyone however results can quickly sway opinion.

Edited by Jinky67

2 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Nicholson and McKay apparently away out to Majorca for talks with Rodgers.

Can see the interview unveiling Rodgers now, he will be telling us the ghost of Bertie Auld visited and told him he must come back 🙄

Message got garbled in transmission. They're off to Tannadice to negotiate a deal with Goodwin.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Brendan Rodgers here for 10 (games) in a row. 

Would have liked a bit more water under the bridge before Rodgers came back but we would foolish not to go for him now if he's open to it. There will be uberwanks in our support moaning about him constantly which will do my head in a bit. Whoever it is I hope it's soon as I'm bored of a new bookies favourite every day already.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

He is more popular than someone like Maresca considering his lack of experience and poor showing with Parma.

I think how Ange left has softened the feeling towards Rodgers and most fan polls seem to be in favour of him coming back (this could also be due to the other names being mentioned) but as you mention he won’t be popular with everyone however results can quickly sway opinion.

Yep, that's fair. I guess I was meaning he as a person, rather than a managerial appointment, isn't the most popular so hopefully that works against him.

It doesn't matter who Celtic bring in. If they are successful, they will be away down South within 2-3 years. 

Out of the names mentioned so far, Rodgers is the outstanding candidate.

"he will be away as soon as the first offer comes in"   - That applies to whoever comes in and does a good job.

6 hours ago, AJF said:

Yep, that's fair. I guess I was meaning he as a person, rather than a managerial appointment, isn't the most popular so hopefully that works against him.

As a person he’s a narcissistic, lying fucker so can’t imagine there will be too many that will hang on his every word.

As a coach well it would be churlish to dismiss what he done previously and the number of players who he improved especially McGregor.

The expectations of him will be higher than when he left, the squad is better and he will be expected to improve on what Ange built. Let’s see if he’s up to it.

And if DD is flashing the cash he should get wee KT up the road too 😉

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

And if DD is flashing the cash he should get wee KT up the road too 😉

You,re either dreaming, delusional or drunk! You couldna afford him nowadays.

22 hours ago, AJF said:

And who would these "couple of poor results" be against?