Clyde Season 23/24

I've seen the talk about desperately needing experience to succeed a hell of a lot of late, but there's not a huge difference between what are probably our strongest XIs then and now (using age at time of first appearances):

Currie 24-25 Leighfield
Cuddihy 22-19 McCulloch
Rumsby 24-28 Sula
Lang 21-19 Dunachie
McNiff 26-25 Lyon
McStay 22-26 Cuddihy
Grant 21-21 Scullion
Rankin 35-18 King
Banks 17-18 Leslie
Syvertsen 20-18 Stevenson
Goodwillie 29-29 Rennie

Average age: 23.7-22.4

Rankin is the big outlier there; in terms of actual first team football played, King is miles ahead of Banks, while Scullion is ahead of where Grant was. Ideally we'd have a couple of better experienced options, no doubt, but it's not like there's some massive crisis and it's a full team of wee boys who aren't ready for this level. Dunachie has taken to it like a duck to water, McCulloch is steadily improving and then the trio of loanees all look to be prospects of varying degrees who will serve us well. Plenty experience elsewhere as well with the likes of the Grant brothers, Parry, Forbes and Carswell also kicking around (obviously some of them aren't very good players, but their experience will still rub off on the younger ones).

54 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

To be fair that was one teenager in a team of relatively experienced pros

In reality Banks didn’t get much minutes on loan with us and the fact that he played a man of the match full game v Annan at Broadwood clouds many peoples memory of his loan period

Currently we have 40% of the squad who are teenagers which regardless of their ability is too much for L2 level

You need a core of good experienced pros who have played 300+ games at this level and above to succeed

This is a touch re-writing of the history books in my opinion.  5 starts, 10 sub appearances, 1 goal, 4 assists at 17 years old and came to a team that were already winning more than not.  Scott Banks played a large part in our success that season, he did far more than just rip Annan apart that day.  

This new batch of youngsters do not have the same luxury of coming to a winning team, that's for sure.  

I get some of our fans frustration regarding Gunn and lack of experience etc, but this window will not provide what we are looking for in terms of a Rankin for example. 

Not seen him obviously, but I’d much rather have the likes of Gunn than some of the “experienced” jobbers like Sean Higgins or Robert Jones around the club. I think it’s a start of a longer term plan and let’s see where we are between now and January before we spit the dummy out entirely. 

With the returning injuries now and likes of Ray Grant in a few weeks we are in a much better place than a month ago.

Yes I’d love an additional striker, but those are not easy to come by, however we are where we are just now, I think it’s baby steps in our recovery to be honest.

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I get some of our fans frustration regarding Gunn and lack of experience etc, but this window will not provide what we are looking for in terms of a Rankin for example. 

Not seen him obviously, but I’d much rather have the likes of Gunn than some of the “experienced” jobbers like Sean Higgins or Robert Jones around the club. I think it’s a start of a longer term plan and let’s see where we are between now and January before we spit the dummy out entirely. 

With the returning injuries now and likes of Ray Grant in a few weeks we are in a much better place than a month ago.

Yes I’d love an additional striker, but those are not easy to come by, however we are where we are just now, I think it’s baby steps in our recovery to be honest.

Sadly it is not baby steps that were required in this window for purchasing layers and for borrowing players. The board has put us joint bottom of the table of league 2. The numbers for season tickets well down, the Bully Wee fund well down, I would imagine the lottery numbers similarly down, attendances shocking. The Club is in demise at least from a fans willing to continue financially supporting this shitshow and now we have a benefactor, donator -call him what you will who is championing and insisting on a climb back up the leagues and who has apparently doubled his fiscal commitment recently (already been told it's millions) and this is what we get to haul us up the leagues.

Yes two very promising kids, but playing with a squad who can't buy a win....someone produced stats recently that were depressing, something like a handful of wins in 70 games........two kids and the return of Martin Rennie and Ray Grant are not in my opinion going to suddenly turn us in to a promotion winning squad under an inexperienced manager, no matter how we would all like that to be the case.

This window was the Boards chance to really show us that with the new money, they really meant business. They have failed in my eyes to achieve this. Well, its over to them now....what else can the humble fan do? A well intentioned, if perhaps bungled attempt to overthrow the Board appears to have failed and the Board have cleverly come out of the situation looking stronger and even more untouchable. 

Time now for them to step up...maybe the new asst manager will be very good, maybe with the help at Board level of Alan Maitland as has been rumoured, will help....but it is their time to prove themselves now, as fans and supporters are most definitely voting with their feet due to the utter rubbish on the park and the embarrassment the fans suffer week on week at the results.

Oh and Crown Point is due to be announced very soon, with us being told we have to submit more information.....how does one interpret this? Our "comprehensive and robust" application wasn't so comprehensive and robust after all? Or it gives GCC more valid reason to decline us? Or, we really are in with a close shout and our bid needs tweaking?

Hmmmmm.......I am not convinced we are going to be successful, what evidence of experience can Clyde produce that would convince GCC that we could operate a site like CP successfully?

Anyhow...it's time to sit back and watch the Board prove to us all they are justified and correct to fight as they have done recently for their seats on the Board and the honour of running a once proud Football Club.

5 hours ago, Right turn Clyde said:

Sadly it is not baby steps that were required in this window for purchasing layers and for borrowing players. The board has put us joint bottom of the table of league 2. The numbers for season tickets well down, the Bully Wee fund well down, I would imagine the lottery numbers similarly down, attendances shocking. The Club is in demise at least from a fans willing to continue financially supporting this shitshow and now we have a benefactor, donator -call him what you will who is championing and insisting on a climb back up the leagues and who has apparently doubled his fiscal commitment recently (already been told it's millions) and this is what we get to haul us up the leagues.

Yes two very promising kids, but playing with a squad who can't buy a win....someone produced stats recently that were depressing, something like a handful of wins in 70 games........two kids and the return of Martin Rennie and Ray Grant are not in my opinion going to suddenly turn us in to a promotion winning squad under an inexperienced manager, no matter how we would all like that to be the case.

This window was the Boards chance to really show us that with the new money, they really meant business. They have failed in my eyes to achieve this. Well, its over to them now....what else can the humble fan do? A well intentioned, if perhaps bungled attempt to overthrow the Board appears to have failed and the Board have cleverly come out of the situation looking stronger and even more untouchable. 

Time now for them to step up...maybe the new asst manager will be very good, maybe with the help at Board level of Alan Maitland as has been rumoured, will help....but it is their time to prove themselves now, as fans and supporters are most definitely voting with their feet due to the utter rubbish on the park and the embarrassment the fans suffer week on week at the results.

Oh and Crown Point is due to be announced very soon, with us being told we have to submit more information.....how does one interpret this? Our "comprehensive and robust" application wasn't so comprehensive and robust after all? Or it gives GCC more valid reason to decline us? Or, we really are in with a close shout and our bid needs tweaking?

Hmmmmm.......I am not convinced we are going to be successful, what evidence of experience can Clyde produce that would convince GCC that we could operate a site like CP successfully?

Anyhow...it's time to sit back and watch the Board prove to us all they are justified and correct to fight as they have done recently for their seats on the Board and the honour of running a once proud Football Club.

Crownpoint is nothing more than a distraction.The board should focus all their energy trying to avoid relegation.Todays game will determine if we have turned the corner.The lad we signed from Morton on paper might make a difference time will tell.

27 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Seemingly Dylan Duncan came on and scored twice for Cowdenbeath today and got motm. Yet when he’s at us he looks like he’s never played 11-a-side before. 

They were playing a west of Scotland team, basically the level he came from. 

17 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

They were playing a west of Scotland team, basically the level he came from. 

Not sure I would back us to beat Kilsyth rangers at the moment. In fact the looming Scottish cup draw is giving me the fear already. Best we can hope for is a fellow league 2 side to minimise the embarrassment factor of our inevitable exit.

I wish to accuse our chairman of the following crimes against our once great club.

1. Bringing DG back to the club damaging the clubs reputation and costing us much needed capital.

2. Taking the club away from broadwood to that shithole at Hamilton and the team have to train at other locations.The chairman negotiated this deal.

3. Trying to Float the dream of a new stadium at crownpoint when the club are in real danger of getting relegated out the league to the lowland league.

4. Appointing Jim Duffy and allowing him to bring all they duds to the club.

5. Appointing Jim Duffy as the role of director of football after an uninspiring time as manager.

6. Allowing Jim Duffy to appoint McLean as manager.

7. Failure to sack McLean after Saturdays nightmare result which we are now adrift at the bottom of league2.

If the chairman had one once of decency he would sack the manager and then resign himself. I now rest my case.

11 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

I wish to accuse our chairman of the following crimes against our once great club.

1. Bringing DG back to the club damaging the clubs reputation and costing us much needed capital.

2. Taking the club away from broadwood to that shithole at Hamilton and the team have to train at other locations.The chairman negotiated this deal.

3. Trying to Float the dream of a new stadium at crownpoint when the club are in real danger of getting relegated out the league to the lowland league.

4. Appointing Jim Duffy and allowing him to bring all they duds to the club.

5. Appointing Jim Duffy as the role of director of football after an uninspiring time as manager.

6. Allowing Jim Duffy to appoint McLean as manager.

7. Failure to sack McLean after Saturdays nightmare result which we are now adrift at the bottom of league2.

If the chairman had one once of decency he would sack the manager and then resign himself. I now rest my case.

I'll raise you.....

Costing us the title when we got promoted.

Screwing up a players contract and paying him a large sum of money to hush it up.

Constantly over-promising and under delivering, especially with communication he keeps telling us is key and has improved.

Actually being delusional enough to target promotion.

Overseeing the sacking of a lady who has worked for the club for many years because she put her name on the EGM request letter.

Overseeing and condoning the sacking of a vulnerable, disabled, adult club volunteer. This from a person who earns his living in an Advocacy business.

Bottom of the heap with a rookie manager still talking shite in pre and post match interviews.

Where now? God only knows.

They are feckless, they are arrogant, they are useless, they are not fit for duty....and never mind coming back with who else will do it....I'd rather the local Boys Brigade company ran it than this lot of ...Oh and don't bother engaging with the wonderful volunteers, the smoke from their burning martyrdom will choke you in seconds.

21 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

I'll raise you.....

Screwing up a players contract and paying him a large sum of money to hush it up.

Constantly over-promising and under delivering, especially with communication he keeps telling us is key and has improved.

Overseeing the sacking of a lady who has worked for the club for many years because she put her name on the EGM request letter.

Overseeing and condoning the sacking of a vulnerable, disabled, adult club volunteer. This from a person who earns his living in an Advocacy business.

Bottom of the heap with a rookie manager still talking shite in pre and post match interviews.

They are feckless, they are arrogant, they are useless, they are not fit for duty....and never mind coming back with who else will do it....I'd rather the local Boys Brigade company ran it than this lot of ...Oh and don't bother engaging with the wonderful volunteers, the smoke from their burning martyrdom will choke you in seconds.

Wow that is shocking. This is criminal what these people are getting away with. When it’s this bad at the top it will spill onto the playing staff. it’s clearly beyond saving now sadly.

2 hours ago, Right turn Clyde said:

I'll raise you.....

Who did they sack?