Clyde Season 23/24

13 hours ago, ekokuk63 said:

I knew I'd heard of the new goalie before!!!  I can remember him when he had his first spell at the club, back in the old Shawfield days

"There's only 2 Brian Kinnear's?........"

Screenshot_20240208-223205.png

Now that Clyde team were decent, but interesting the crowd is not much more than we are attracting at Hamilton with a simply woeful set of players throughout 2023. Perhaps food for thought for those who think that simply moving back to Glasgow 44 years later will bring a noticeable uptick.

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

44 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Now that Clyde team were decent, but interesting the crowd is not much more than we are attracting at Hamilton with a simply woeful set of players throughout 2023. Perhaps food for thought for those who think that simply moving back to Glasgow 44 years later will bring a noticeable uptick.

That's been obvious for years, imho

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Perhaps food for thought for those who think that simply moving back to Glasgow 44 years later will bring a noticeable uptick.

All ties in with the teams performance on the park. Bigger games in higher divisions attract more fans. If we end up in the Lowland League we could be in Glasgow right on some fans doorsteps and they still wouldn't bother their arses to come.

Absolutely crazy to think at this point that a G45 postcode will automatically unlock more fans.

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Looks like Arbroath were Mylles better.

the first brian played centre half, he was steady without being great( far from best defender) but equally far from the worst, so if the new brian is as middle of the road kind of keeper I'll be happy.

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

All ties in with the teams performance on the park. Bigger games in higher divisions attract more fans. If we end up in the Lowland League we could be in Glasgow right on some fans doorsteps and they still wouldn't bother their arses to come.

Absolutely crazy to think at this point that a G45 postcode will automatically unlock more fans.

don't think it would "Automatically unlock more fans" but being nomadic is one way to kill a club, we are seeing young groups of fans attach themselves to teams at all levels, down to tier 10, they wont do that with a team with no home.

Short of parents taking their own children where do the new fans come from, until you get back to Glasgow or where ever you put down long term foundations

2 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I don't think many (if any) think that we will see a significant increase in home supporters simply by being in Glasgow. What it does provide is a solid base and plenty of potential to build a future fan base which could double, triple or even quadruple what we currently have in the next few years. 

It all comes down to whether the club put in the hard work to engage potential new fans through community/school engagement, incentives such as "kids get in for free with paying adult" and working on the match day experience to ensure it is a fun day out for kids/families as well as the young team who want a few pints pre match.

All of this will only work if there is a sustained and consistent strategy but if done right, the potential is definitely there for us to grow a proper fan base in/around the Glasgow area. 

Edited by RutherGlen

40 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

don't think it would "Automatically unlock more fans" but being nomadic is one way to kill a club, we are seeing young groups of fans attach themselves to teams at all levels, down to tier 10, they wont do that with a team with no home.

Short of parents taking their own children where do the new fans come from, until you get back to Glasgow or where ever you put down long term foundations

Aye, I understand - apologies.

I just meant there seems to be a sense amongst certain factions of the Clyde support that moving to the East End will result in us getting hundreds more through the gates every week, when youre right - being nomadic has killed that. The damage has already been done in that sense. 

35 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I don't think many (if any) think that we will see a significant increase in home supporters simply by being in Glasgow. What it does provide is a solid base and plenty of potential to build a future fan base which could double, triple or even quadruple what we currently have in the next few years. 

It all comes down to whether the club put in the hard work to engage potential new fans through community/school engagement, incentives such as "kids get in for free with paying adult" and working on the match day experience to ensure it is a fun day out for kids/families as well as the young team who want a few pints pre match.

All of this will only work if there is a sustained and consistent strategy but if done right, the potential is definitely there for us to grow a proper fan base in/around the Glasgow area. 

That is all true, the reality though is that the “relocation” is also about a base where we can generate income on a daily basis by for example renting the park / parks (if additional parks is in the plan?), office space?, foundation activities, kids coaching sessions Etc. It also would mean we are not shelling out thousands is pounds in rental before a ball is even kicked every season. 
Nowadays I don’t think any club, even the biggot twins can depend on gate receipts alone to progress. Obviously in our case a successful team may increase crowds by a percentage point but never enough alone to survive long term on that alone. 

3 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

That team ended up mid table of the old Division 2 that season due to results like that.  It was the following season he had a big clearout, new blood in & they won the league by a record number of points at the time.   "Decent" certainly in comparison to the dross that's been served up for the majority of the past 15 years due to project austerity, the conversion of the club into a model not fit for purpose & priority focus on yet another failed relocation.

Agreed however on the general point.  What existing community just waiting to embrace the club exactly (even if they knew this time how to learn from the mistakes made in Cumbernauld) ?   The only chance was a link in to Rutherglen where there are at least some historic ties with a community which historically has always seen itself with a bit of a separate identity.  It's also expanded in size since Clyde left, and of course the immediate area around the old home has undergone a lot of new redevelopment and continues to do so. 

Never seriously looked at because it was Crownpoint or nothing, and everyone had to be singing from the same hymn sheet.  Now left scrambling around, kicking it anywhere, hopeful of anything with a G postcode & then come up with a false narrative that the club have any realistic links with whatever the next target area is,  absolutely abysmal.    

21 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

That team ended up mid table of the old Division 2 that season due to results like that.  It was the following season he had a big clearout, new blood in & they won the league by a record number of points at the time.   "Decent" certainly in comparison to the dross that's been served up for the majority of the past 15 years due to project austerity, the conversion of the club into a model not fit for purpose & priority focus on yet another failed relocation.

Agreed however on the general point.  What existing community just waiting to embrace the club exactly (even if they knew this time how to learn from the mistakes made in Cumbernauld) ?   The only chance was a link in to Rutherglen where there are at least some historic ties with a community which historically has always seen itself with a bit of a separate identity.  It's also expanded in size since Clyde left, and of course the immediate area around the old home has undergone a lot of new redevelopment and continues to do so. 

Never seriously looked at because it was Crownpoint or nothing, and everyone had to be singing from the same hymn sheet.  Now left scrambling around, kicking it anywhere, hopeful of anything with a G postcode & then come up with a false narrative that the club have any realistic links with whatever the next target area is,  absolutely abysmal.    

Agreed- we have little or no links with much of Glasgow outside of the south-east quadrant

17 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Looks like we have turned into a job centre for has-been and never been footballers. nothing has changed my mind. Lowland league here we come.

If you're so convinced why don't you stick a few grand on Stranraer for tomorrow?

You can use your winnings to become mystery benefactor 2.0 or, alternatively, to fund your campaign to oust Mr Thomson.

Don’t feed the troll

Anyone still engaging runs the risk of accusations of being JC under another login in order to maintain relevance. 

Please put on ignore.

39 minutes ago, WBR said:

Anyone still engaging runs the risk of accusations of being JC under another login in order to maintain relevance.

It’s very funny indeed that JC was brought up on this weeks Terrace podcast, with both Fraser and Shaughan laughing about how much of a loser he is whilst saying even they’ve muted him. 

It’s much nicer here when he’s ignored and we can just laugh at how much of a diddy he is.

52 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Surely only works if you go into an area where kids and families are not already attending a football club (presumably doing a similar thing)? Just in the east end you've got Celtic, and then four WOS clubs of varying levels (also Finnart when they are at Crownpoint) offering cheaper alternatives. Where is the gap in the market and location for this base that Clyde are aiming for?

39 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Surely only works if you go into an area where kids and families are not already attending a football club (presumably doing a similar thing)? Just in the east end you've got Celtic, and then four WOS clubs of varying levels (also Finnart when they are at Crownpoint) offering cheaper alternatives. Where is the gap in the market and location for this base that Clyde are aiming for?

Ma hoose

Interloper alert !!!

Nostalgia can be such a b*****d.

My old dad (1925-1974) and his brothers were life long Clyde fans, and even now (almost 70 years old) I can still rattle off the names of that wonderful Clyde XI from the late-60's (McCulloch, Glasgow, Mulherron, Anderson, Fraser/Staite, McHugh, McFarlane, Hood, Gilroy, Stewart, Hastings). Our family moved from Glasgow's East End to Paisley in the 1960's and, due to growing up there, I followed my school friends and St Mirren became my team. Yet I still have a place in my heart for my family's team, and it upsets me to see the predicament that Clyde fond themselves in.

Come on guys, get it sorted. Demotion cannot be an option. Anything else could be terminal and that mustn't happen to a club with such a proud history and three Scottish Cup wins.

Please.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

We wouldn't necessarily need to be in an area where kids/families aren't already involved with a local team if we can either do it better or offer them something a bit different.

I think the match day experience, particularly for younger kids and families is pretty awful in the main and there is a lot of untapped potential to make it something people who aren't massively into football may want to get involved in. 

If we own our own stadium and have event space/supporters' bar etc. there is a whole range of things we could implement on match day and during the week to really involve the local community and ensure that we are an active part of it. 

You're right that we can never compete with the likes of Celtic but I like to think there is still a significant number of football minded people (even in the east end) who want nothing to do with the Old Firm nonsense and would welcome a senior team like Clyde who have none of the baggage but aspirations to play at the highest level. The WOS teams may be cheaper alternatives for the working man but there's nothing to stop Clyde competing with or even outdoing them with our kids' season ticket offers (free?) and we could definitely better them for match day experience, not to mention the fact we'll (hopefully!) be playing at a higher level.

Edited by RutherGlen