Clyde Season 23/24

16 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As an aside, how is the young lad from Killie getting on? He looked great in your televised game when he got MOTM (iirc) 

Kian Leslie is best suited to being the best of a bad bunch. He can shine in a rubbish team, it’s due to his speed and willingness to win the ball. However, in a decent team that gets the ball on the deck he is rotten. It was a weird loan extension from us in January, especially when we knew what type of player he was.

6 hours ago, Shawfield78 said:

Nobody said they would have anything to gain.

You asked me what they would gain right here ya numpty :lol:

7 hours ago, Shawfield78 said:

What would a board member gain by lying about a figure spent. 

I'll spell it out as my sarcastic reply clearly never hit home, but I'm suggesting your board member is stating that figure in the hope that some of the heat turns to McCall should relegation come to pass. Given some of the comments already on this thread I would suggest it's worked. They may well have spent 100k getting McCall in, shipping out deadwood and signing new players, but the original post made it seem like the 7 players brought in were on that money.

I'll head back to my own shambles of a club now.

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'll spell it out as my sarcastic reply clearly never hit home, but I'm suggesting your board member is stating that figure in the hope that some of the heat turns to McCall should relegation come to pass. Given some of the comments already on this thread I would suggest it's worked. They may well have spent 100k getting McCall in, shipping out deadwood and signing new players, but the original post made it seem like the 7 players brought in were on that money.

Please don't doubt that we are intelligent enough to understand sarcasm....you don't know the director involved, we do...he is part of the solution at Clyde not the hereditary problem. Go away and concentrate on your own issues.

PS Shawfield 78's question was rhetorical....google it if you need help.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

You're an absolute p***k . Can't even have a simple debate . 

Even if we do beat Stranraer next Saturday (not a given by any stretch of the imagination), I think that the rest of the run looks like the north face of the Eiger to us.  A win against Stranraer will be too little too late. I think that our focus will have to be on beating EK in the playoffs.  I think that EK will throw everything at this, not least money. This is the biggest chance that they will have for senior league football.  Blow it, and it might be years again before they get the change.  

Given that our bottle crashes in games that we have to win, this does not look good.  

6 hours ago, Fast_Action said:

Even if we do beat Stranraer next Saturday (not a given by any stretch of the imagination), I think that the rest of the run looks like the north face of the Eiger to us.  A win against Stranraer will be too little too late. I think that our focus will have to be on beating EK in the playoffs.  I think that EK will throw everything at this, not least money. This is the biggest chance that they will have for senior league football.  Blow it, and it might be years again before they get the change.  

Given that our bottle crashes in games that we have to win, this does not look good.  

Bonnyrigg have a really tough run in too.......but their players seem to be capable of battling at the business end of the season......all far too close for comfort......I know McCall is now taking some heat - but we all know where the blame lies and this is not just one season's worth of errors from the Board...it's become systematic. 

Alexander's cabal simply have to go.

Clyde - Stranraer home, Dumbarton away, Stenhousemuir home, east fife home,  Elgin away.

Stranraer - Clyde away, Spartans away, Dumbarton home, Forfar away, Stenhousemuir home. 

Bonnyrigg - Peterhead home, east fife away, Spartans home, Stenhousemuir away, Forfar home. 

Wouldn’t say anyone has an easy run in, hopefully stenny have the league won by the time they come to us and east fife can’t get play offs either. 

11 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Clyde - Stranraer home, Dumbarton away, Stenhousemuir home, east fife home,  Elgin away.

Stranraer - Clyde away, Spartans away, Dumbarton home, Forfar away, Stenhousemuir home. 

Bonnyrigg - Peterhead home, east fife away, Spartans home, Stenhousemuir away, Forfar home. 

Wouldn’t say anyone has an easy run in, hopefully stenny have the league won by the time they come to us and east fife can’t get play offs either. 

I suppose when after 31 games you sit in the bottom 3, there's no such thing as a kind run in. 

I've taken a leaf out of McCall's book and decided to stop looking at the league table. To make things even more tolerable I also pretend we're top of the league with the title already in the bag - it's definitely a status in keeping with recent performances.

38 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Surely, Stenny will be home and hosed by the time any of you face them which throws a slight curve ball? I think if Stranraer can avoid defeat to you on Saturday then they have marginally the least difficult run in. 

12 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

I've taken a leaf out of McCall's book and decided to stop looking at the league table. To make things even more tolerable I also pretend we're top of the league with the title already in the bag - it's definitely a status in keeping with recent performances.

Do you have the address of your shrink handy, I'd like it please.

To make thinks tolerable, I drink heavily and kick my dog most Saturday evenings........we are in big big trouble whether you choose to adopt coping techniques or not....have you devised one for playing in the Lowland League with no home of our own yet?

Crowds will plummet even more than they have already and we will not be able to afford rent at Hamilton........where this could all end up is truly unthinkable.....hic!

45 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Surely, Stenny will be home and hosed by the time any of you face them which throws a slight curve ball? I think if Stranraer can avoid defeat to you on Saturday then they have marginally the least difficult run in. 

We absolutely have to win the home games we have there which won’t be easy. 

How arsed will stenny be who knows, Bonnyrigg going there on what looks like will be trophy day for them might help. 

40 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

Do you have the address of your shrink handy, I'd like it please.

To make thinks tolerable, I drink heavily and kick my dog most Saturday evenings........we are in big big trouble whether you choose to adopt coping techniques or not....have you devised one for playing in the Lowland League with no home of our own yet?

Crowds will plummet even more than they have already and we will not be able to afford rent at Hamilton........where this could all end up is truly unthinkable.....hic!

My only coping technique at the moment is writing facetious posts on P&B. In amongst the nonsense was my main criticism at the moment - McCall's dismissive, uninterested and patronising attitude. It's no great surprise to me that the players aren't up for the fight. Why should they care when the man in charge doesn't seem overly fussed to the point he apparently can't even be arsed to have a wee swatch at the league table?

Maybe it's McCall who thinks we're top?

Edited by RutherGlen

Obviously Saturday is a huge game for us, goes without saying.  The one I’m most concerned about is Dumbarton the following week.  They’ve hit good form in the last three weeks, scudding Spartans 6–2, drawing at home to a team that needed to win to stand a chance of winning the league that week (with other things going in their favour admittedly).

We must win away to Dumbarton if we pick up 3 points on Saturday. We need to get off bottom and stay off it.

6 minutes ago, Davy the Dug said:

Obviously Saturday is a huge game for us, goes without saying.  The one I’m most concerned about is Dumbarton the following week.  They’ve hit good form in the last three weeks, scudding Spartans 6–2, drawing at home to a team that needed to win to stand a chance of winning the league that week (with other things going in their favour admittedly).

We must win away to Dumbarton if we pick up 3 points on Saturday. We need to get off bottom and stay off it.

The way this season has gone I wouldn't be remotely surprised if we lose to Stranraer by a couple of goals next Saturday and follow it up by pumping Dumbarton by 6 or 7 goals, a la Stenny away. 

Regardless, if we lose to Stranraer I think I'll finally have to admit to myself that this group of players (whilst of a reasonable quality at this level) simply don't have the guts or interest to avoid relegation. Time to show a bit of fight please.  

Edited by RutherGlen

Maybe we could get the Kitman in for the pre-match teamtalk? At least he seems to actually give a $hit. 

Assuming he hasn't been arrested under the new hate crime legislation for giving the Stranraer fans the two fingers. 

Edited by RutherGlen

10 hours ago, Fast_Action said:

EK are already in senior league football.

On 31/03/2024 at 07:12, The Moonster said:

Sorry if I'm being stupid here but Clyde didn't spend any transfer fees did they? Are you suggesting Clyde have increased their wage bill by £100k?

fwiw I also had a conversation with someone tenuously in the know where that figure was mentioned but it was more like “we’ve paid off 8 players who at an average of £150 a week and had to replace them with players that command a higher wage”. Paying off 8 players who all had 6 months left on their contracts at £150 p/w would cost about £30k. Then the new boys (Howie, Hamilton, Leitch, Kabia), say they’re on £300 (a low estimate tbf) and signed for 6 months, that’s another £30k, so that’s £60k. It was also rumoured that we were offering £5k signing on fees, so that’s another £20k and we’re now at £80k. Thats just the playing side of things, so when you take McCall, Scally and Kerr’s wages into account, it’s probably not far off the 100k mark.

I think the big man who was having a bit of a meltdown whilst talking to you has heard “100 grand” and ran with it, assuming it’s a lump sum somehow. 

Edited by Brian Carrigan

15 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

fwiw I also had a conversation with someone tenuously in the know where that figure was mentioned but it was more like “we’ve paid off 8 players who at an average of £150 a week and had to replace them with players that command a higher wage”. Paying off 8 players who all had 6 months left on their contracts at £150 p/w would cost about £30k. Then the new boys (Howie, Hamilton, Leitch, Kabia), say they’re on £300 (a low estimate tbf) and signed for 6 months, that’s another £30k, so that’s £60k. It was also rumoured that we were offering £5k signing on fees, so that’s another £20k and we’re now at £80k. Thats just the playing side of things, so when you take McCall, Scally and Kerr’s wages into account, it’s probably not far off the 100k mark.

I think the big man who was having a bit of a meltdown whilst talking to you has heard “100 grand” and ran with it, assuming it’s a lump sum somehow. 

I do know what one of your players is on, and that low estimate of yours is definitely on the low side. 😉.  I would also be hugely surprised if any of the leavers were on as little as £150 per week.