Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

Any word on who your new manager will be? Callum Fordyce, our player/assistant manager, has just surprisingly announced he’s leaving the club and I wonder if he could be getting the managerial job here.

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Any word on who your new manager will be? Callum Fordyce, our player/assistant manager, has just surprisingly announced he’s leaving the club and I wonder if he could be getting the managerial job here.

No word yet, but would imagine an appointment would be this week or next.

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

What's he like? Has he had much impact for you guys in a managerial or coaching capacity? How long has he been assistant manager?

42 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

What's he like? Has he had much impact for you guys in a managerial or coaching capacity? How long has he been assistant manager?

Brilliant guy and a real leader on the park. Obviously it’s hard to judge how much an assistant manager does but he’s been a great organiser on the park in his five years playing and two years as assistant and has been part of the playing and coaching team for the best Airdrie team in decades, so I could see why a club like Stirling might fancy giving him the top job. No info behind it, just interesting timing.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Brilliant guy and a real leader on the park. Obviously it’s hard to judge how much an assistant manager does but he’s been a great organiser on the park in his five years playing and two years as assistant and has been part of the playing and coaching team for the best Airdrie team in decades, so I could see why a club like Stirling might fancy giving him the top job. No info behind it, just interesting timing.

Was he solid enough at Championship level or a bit out his depth? Didn’t realise he was only 31. Seems a bit of a surprise he has left Airdrie if he was getting regular game time but possibly pursuing a managerial career. 

2 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Was he solid enough at Championship level or a bit out his depth? Didn’t realise he was only 31. Seems a bit of a surprise he has left Airdrie if he was getting regular game time but possibly pursuing a managerial career. 

He strolled it, made the PFA team of the year and would comfortably be the best player in League Two. It could just be a better move elsewhere but having had a taste of coaching at a relatively young age I think a few of us wondered if he’d fancy taking on a job of his own and Stirling might fit with the timing.

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

He strolled it, made the PFA team of the year and would comfortably be the best player in League Two. It could just be a better move elsewhere but having had a taste of coaching at a relatively young age I think a few of us wondered if he’d fancy taking on a job of his own and Stirling might fit with the timing.

Aye. Maybe he has been offered better money at another Championship club and wants to focus on the playing side/smaller coaching role with less responsibility. 

Spence now confirming he’s left the club. Not too sad to see him go, thought if nothing else, he’d have been a squad player but wish him well for the future.

499ee662-ba27-44a5-bfd7-c250b3377284.jpeg

Just now, BB_Bino said:

Spence now confirming he’s left the club. Not too sad to see him go, thought if nothing else, he’d have been a squad player but wish him well for the future.

He is probably one of the players that disappointed me the most at Arbroath over the last 10 year. Had come with a bit of a reputation but was clear to see he was living off past glories at Alloa. Just ended up being not really much use at anything and I felt like I was waiting and waiting to see it happen for him but done absolutely f**k all by the time he left apart from score two goals against you guys in that 6-1 League Cup game.

Could actually maybe see East Fife take a chance on him.

Is your manager announcement really expected today? If so that’s quite a quick turnaround, must’ve only been advertised 10 days ago. Will be interesting to see who it is.

You have got a great solid and reliable keeper in Gaston. Even though there are a few mistakes creeping in but imagine they’ll not be as noticeable when he’s in L2 and not in a team getting pumped in the Championship every week. Best of luck to him - would’ve happily kept him on for this upcoming year

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He is probably one of the players that disappointed me the most at Arbroath over the last 10 year. Had come with a bit of a reputation but was clear to see he was living off past glories at Alloa. Just ended up being not really much use at anything and I felt like I was waiting and waiting to see it happen for him but done absolutely f**k all by the time he left apart from score two goals against you guys in that 6-1 League Cup game.

Could actually maybe see East Fife take a chance on him.

Is your manager announcement really expected today? If so that’s quite a quick turnaround, must’ve only been advertised 10 days ago. Will be interesting to see who it is.

You have got a great solid and reliable keeper in Gaston. Even though there are a few mistakes creeping in but imagine they’ll not be as noticeable when he’s in L2 and not in a team getting pumped in the Championship every week. Best of luck to him - would’ve happily kept him on for this upcoming year

I think that pretty much sums out my feelings about his time with us @1320Lichtie. In a time where we were on track for a League 2 title challenge, I think Young brought him in to boost numbers up front. Spence obviously has a decent reputation for scoring goals at this level (although it's pretty poor over the last 5 or so years) and we were relying on an injury prone and tiring pairing of Carrick & Thomson to see us over the line, so he was worth the chance. After doing no better than ok, I was expecting to see him on the released list but Young gave him another year and I think he was pretty ineffective over the course of last season. I remember him doing well in a 2-2 draw at home to Cove, but other than that, I can't really say much about him.

Regarding the Manager announcement, I don't know. I think we are all eagerly waiting though. The signing of Gaston points to the possibility that someone has sanctioned it as their Goalkeeper choice, which is possibly why the rumours are circulating that the new gaffer will be announced imminently. Rumours have been quiet as to who it is, the advert posted would point to someone with a track record in management, but I we will just have to wait and see.  

Posted it above, but although I didn't see Gaston last season, I would be very very surprised if he has regressed so much that he wouldn't be anything but a good League 2 Goalkeeper. I'm delighted that the club have signed him, and I hope he is the first of a good number of solid signings because I think League 2 will be a tight league once again next season.

24 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I think that pretty much sums out my feelings about his time with us @1320Lichtie. In a time where we were on track for a League 2 title challenge, I think Young brought him in to boost numbers up front. Spence obviously has a decent reputation for scoring goals at this level (although it's pretty poor over the last 5 or so years) and we were relying on an injury prone and tiring pairing of Carrick & Thomson to see us over the line, so he was worth the chance. After doing no better than ok, I was expecting to see him on the released list but Young gave him another year and I think he was pretty ineffective over the course of last season. I remember him doing well in a 2-2 draw at home to Cove, but other than that, I can't really say much about him.

Regarding the Manager announcement, I don't know. I think we are all eagerly waiting though. The signing of Gaston points to the possibility that someone has sanctioned it as their Goalkeeper choice, which is possibly why the rumours are circulating that the new gaffer will be announced imminently. Rumours have been quiet as to who it is, the advert posted would point to someone with a track record in management, but I we will just have to wait and see.  

Posted it above, but although I didn't see Gaston last season, I would be very very surprised if he has regressed so much that he wouldn't be anything but a good League 2 Goalkeeper. I'm delighted that the club have signed him, and I hope he is the first of a good number of solid signings because I think League 2 will be a tight league once again next season.

Just what you said on Spence, although he wasn’t re-signed for L1 he had an initial 18 month contract. He came to us from Inverkeithing Hillend Swifts in the EOS and gulf was too big.

12 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Just what you said on Spence, although he wasn’t re-signed for L1 he had an initial 18 month contract. He came to us from Inverkeithing Hillend Swifts in the EOS and gulf was too big.

Didn't realise it was an 18 month contract @AlbionMan, that makes sense then.

Spence never really showed a great deal. was very much 3rd of 4th choice for most of his time here and that seemed about right. 

i'm sure he's still a 10 goal a season guy in division 2 or a decent lowland league striker. could never fault him for effort and on the rare occasions he got himself into space, you did fancy him to score, that just didn't happen nearly often enough. 

still eagerly awaiting a manager announcement. be good to get it done soon and start preparing for next season in earnest.

20 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

All the best Greig.  That headed goal at McDiarmid park will always be a sweet memory.

7 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Who is making these decisions if  you don't have  a manager ?  

Would love to be able to answer that….but I’m just a mere supporter, who is left in the dark to get old, and grow moss, and to punt hospitality packages too.