Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

20 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Trialists yesterday were Harry Wright, Hibs under 19, was a right back, seems to have transitioned to a right midfielder, son of Hibs legend Keith Wright.

Adam Masson (19) was released from Raith Rovers. Can play at the back or defensive midfield. Only played a handful of games in championship for Raith. Apparently a very committed 'gives it his all' type of player, good defensively but not great at getting forward. Was on loan at Linlithgow for second half of last season.

No idea who the trialists on the bench were.

Thought Gaston played really well.  Our best player on the day which isn't a bad thing..keeper's need match sharpness also ..👏👏

Ally Roy & Speedy would be a good partnership upfront in the current system... still need a bit of width going forward who can get to the bye line...

A good victory which will help the confidence & belief,, alot more optimism including myself by my own admission i was very fearful,,but it looks promising & the guy's certainly put in a shift & what AM asked of them 💪 🇵🇪

13 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Wright wasn't named on the team line up on twitter, not sure if it was different in the stadium 

Wright was named on your teamline without any indication he was a Trialist so was named on the Teamline published at the ground. The others were all named too but had Trialist written after their names so were not listed on the published version. The other trialists were all kids, perhaps members of your Development squad whose registrations have expired at 30th June? SFA are miles behind on re-registering young players on their new system. Ours aren't registered either.

5 hours ago, Beepee67 said:

Thought Gaston played really well.  Our best player on the day which isn't a bad thing..keeper's need match sharpness also ..👏👏

Ally Roy & Speedy would be a good partnership upfront in the current system... still need a bit of width going forward who can get to the bye line...

A good victory which will help the confidence & belief,, alot more optimism including myself by my own admission i was very fearful,,but it looks promising & the guy's certainly put in a shift & what AM asked of them 💪 🇵🇪

Stirling looked decent enough on Saturday. We had most of the play without particularly hurting you much. When we did break through Gaston was there. He made two or three really good saves. Your goal was a debacle of an error from us with a bad pass and a short back header. Carrick did what Carrick does. Hilson missed a good chance late on.

Clyde were better against us the week before but we played a much weaker side in that game with more kids and trialists in it. They did look good though.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wright was named on your teamline without any indication he was a Trialist so was named on the Teamline published at the ground. The others were all named too but had Trialist written after their names so were not listed on the published version. The other trialists were all kids, perhaps members of your Development squad whose registrations have expired at 30th June? SFA are miles behind on re-registering young players on their new system. Ours aren't registered either.

Wondering - is there an SFA rule that prevents clubs from publicly announcing the names of trialists? Is it possible when announcing the teams publicly they can say, eg Bob Bloggs (Trialist)?  

On 07/07/2024 at 08:22, Quentin Taranbino said:

Trialists yesterday were Harry Wright, Hibs under 19, was a right back, seems to have transitioned to a right midfielder, son of Hibs legend Keith Wright.

Adam Masson (19) was released from Raith Rovers. Can play at the back or defensive midfield. Only played a handful of games in championship for Raith. Apparently a very committed 'gives it his all' type of player, good defensively but not great at getting forward. Was on loan at Linlithgow for second half of last season.

No idea who the trialists on the bench were.

I think Adam Masson would be a decent signing for you guys, just didn't work out for us.

I'm looking forward to Saturday's game, it feels like we haven't played at Forthbank for ages.

1 hour ago, jsavage said:

Wondering - is there an SFA rule that prevents clubs from publicly announcing the names of trialists? Is it possible when announcing the teams publicly they can say, eg Bob Bloggs (Trialist)?  

Absolutely no rule. You can name them if you wish to. In some cases they may be playing whilst contracted to another club with a view to a potential loan. In such cases the parent club might have an input as to whether they are named. The SFA won't care either way.

Traditionally trialists were not named to avoid the other club / media knowing who they were but in the modern era someone always knows, and agents are punting players everywhere if they are available anyway.

9 hours ago, roy of the rovers said:

Yup it was your development squad. The match ended 2-0 for Rovers.

Thanks for the update. Good luck for the season ahead.

Stirling Albion

Goalkeepers

Derek Gaston

Defenders

Ross McGeachie 

Sam Denham

Harley Ewen 

Erik Sula 

Midfielders

Lewis Milne 

Callum Crane 

Ross Davidson 

Harry Wright 

Ricky Waugh

Forwards

Dale Hilson

Dale Carrick 

Cameron McKinlay 

Ally Roy

Up to 13 signed players now. How we feeling about our squad? Mid table consolidation awaits I think. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

33 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Stirling Albion

Goalkeepers

Derek Gaston

Defenders

Ross McGeachie 

Sam Denham

Harley Ewen 

Erik Sula 

Midfielders

Lewis Milne 

Callum Crane 

Ross Davidson 

Harry Wright 

Forwards

Dale Hilson

Dale Carrick 

Cameron McKinlay 

Ally Roy

Up to 13 signed players now. How we feeling about our squad? Mid table consolidation awaits I think. Hope I'm wrong.

It's an OK start but it obviously needs more bodies. I'm not sure we can expect a further influx of quality unless we get lucky in the loan market but some more depth is essential.

Mid table is probably a good shout at this point but that's really only 2/3  of a squad.

I wonder whether the strategy is to supplement the squad with development players? The age profile of our signings is quite young (Denham, Harley, Wright), but with a bit of experience with Sula and Roy. Maybe the aim is to develop these young players and our own youth ( at last) and hope to move them on for a fee at some point, à la Hamilton. While also reducing the wage budget by only paying the youngsters a tenner a week obviously.

13 minutes ago, Forth Banker said:

I wonder whether the strategy is to supplement the squad with development players? The age profile of our signings is quite young (Denham, Harley, Wright), but with a bit of experience with Sula and Roy. Maybe the aim is to develop these young players and our own youth ( at last) and hope to move them on for a fee at some point, à la Hamilton. While also reducing the wage budget by only paying the youngsters a tenner a week obviously.

Nice theory but that doesn't really work with signing them to one-year contracts.

I'm unconvinced any of the u20s from last year are really good enough to even make an impact in senior football but I'd love to be proved wrong.

3 hours ago, Forth Banker said:

I'm sure I saw it somewhere that Alan Maybury is waiting for teams in the higher leagues to finalize their first team squads and hopefully bring in a few loan signings.

2 minutes ago, MrBeeno said:

I'm sure I saw it somewhere that Alan Maybury is waiting for teams in the higher leagues to finalize their first team squads and hopefully bring in a few loan signings.

i'm sure he is...............just like a lot of other lower league managers. 

2 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

i'm sure he is...............just like a lot of other lower league managers. 

This is often the case.Hopefully he has some players in mind though.

On 10/07/2024 at 21:10, Quentin Taranbino said:

Stirling Albion

Goalkeepers

Derek Gaston

Defenders

Ross McGeachie 

Sam Denham

Harley Ewen 

Erik Sula 

Midfielders

Lewis Milne 

Callum Crane 

Ross Davidson 

Harry Wright 

Forwards

Dale Hilson

Dale Carrick 

Cameron McKinlay 

Ally Roy

13 is the ideal number, just like the old days haha - 11 players and 2 subs, although Ideally a few midfielders would help. I still think 3-4 more will come in.

I'll predict top 4 and hope it doesn't come back to bite me - strangely got a good feeling despite all the doom n gloom.

Edited by SA45

On 10/07/2024 at 22:10, Quentin Taranbino said:

Stirling Albion

Goalkeepers

Derek Gaston

Defenders

Ross McGeachie 

Sam Denham

Harley Ewen 

Erik Sula 

Midfielders

Lewis Milne 

Callum Crane 

Ross Davidson 

Harry Wright 

Forwards

Dale Hilson

Dale Carrick 

Cameron McKinlay 

Ally Roy

I think it’s very much a wait and see squad so far, currently I think Clyde, Spartans and probably Elgin, look stronger, so maybe mid-table will be about right but we’ll not know until we start.

What I would say, is that I think we’re got a scattering of players that are probably welcome in any squad at this level and we have others that are unknown and being given an opportunity to step up, so it’s going to be interesting.

Ricky Waugh signs on loan from Queens Park.

good to get some more midfield bodies in.  seems to have a decent pedigree and will be interested to see him play. 

does seem that the squad is going to have a more youthful feel this season. 

think that increases the uncertainty about where we might finish this season. a lot of guys with good potential but can it be realised?  young players can be exciting but less consistent. 

I dunno if it's the new kit launch...seeing the newly laid pitch at the best stadium in SPFL2 .... or just need that football fix seeing the bino's in action again & finally putting last season to bed...

I hold my hands up in my predictions we'd stay up which came back to bite me in the ass...that really took it's toll on me especially the way we went down with a whimper against a garbage Dumbarton mob 

Then the upheaval starting with the gaffer getting sacked...the shambolic situation with players announced that they were leaving or joining other clubs via personal media accounts...still the biggest disappointment for me was that we lost Pab's to the lowland league stock car stadium in a player coach role...surely we could & should have found a way forward for him to do this at the bino's..... but we move on now

A new gaffer & backroom staff...major player overhaul..thankfully we still have Geach 💪 I'm sure Hilson & Milne would have been punted if not for the 2yr contract...however as poor as they both were last season it's a clean slate & a fresh start 

After a misdiagnosis with Ross Davidson last year it ended with him missing the entire season..injury ended up being a hip problem which has been a slow recovery ..hopefully we can have him back sooner than later...I personally feel he was our biggest loss last year..didn't realise until we didn't have him....we are still definitely a bit lightweight in playing staff...hopefully get a few loans in before league business starts & we utilise them better than last year 

I don't think we have anything or anyone capable of making the step up from the development squad..saw them a couple of times & nothing to get excited about 

Did we lose young Godwin to the lower league 🤔 i know that he went on loan twice but not heard anything else 

No predictions for this upcoming season from me  .. mainly for my own sanity 🤣   but it's genuinely to early for that one.... but one thing for sure is AM & the lads will have a great welcome tomorrow at Forthbank 

Can't wait....C'mon the bino's 🇵🇪 💪