Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

On 07/09/2023 at 16:06, jsavage said:

Stirling Albion v Cove Rangers will be live on BBC Alba! Saturday 30 September, 5.30 kick off. 

https://twitter.com/Stirling_Albion/status/1699800008906973435?s=20

Great stuff. If anyone from the club is readingcan you get the terrace pricing down to £15 - let's fill the place!  No offence to the old duffers but if the "Ultras" young lads can make a noise (without violence) it can spread to other parts of the ground - Fortress Forthbank hah.

37 minutes ago, SA45 said:

Great stuff. If anyone from the club is readingcan you get the terrace pricing down to £15 - let's fill the place!  No offence to the old duffers but if the "Ultras" young lads can make a noise (without violence) it can spread to other parts of the ground - Fortress Forthbank hah.

I suspect that this will kill any hope of Cove fans travelling in any significant numbers.

6 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

I suspect that this will kill any hope of Cove fans travelling in any significant numbers.

I suppose so, I doubt I'd go to Aberdeen for a 5.30pm Saturday match at the end of Sept.

So..... 1/6 of the league campaign gone already.

Think before the season started we would have been delighted to see only Falkirk and Hamilton above us st this stage.

The good - managing the above with the injuries we've had to a thin squad.

The never say die spirit to earn points late in games still seems to be there.

We should be much better once Pabs and Geeks are back and not just defensively. Geeks long throws have produced in the past and he always chips in with a couple of goals. Pabs is our best aerial set piece threat.

Darren Young - thought the Hamilton game was a great example of proactive game management. We got pretty well turned over first half but adjusted in the 2nd. For the equaliser, substitute Keiran Moore with the assist in a move started by Geeks who'd also just come on. Finished by Kyle Banner who'd been moved forward from the centre half position he started in.

The bad - not scoring goals at a great rate. Joint lowest scorers in the division. The defence had a bad day on Saturday but nobody could bail them out.

Carrick, Hilson, Spence and Thommo should be a decent strike force at this level.

how thin the squad is. We're actually lighter than last season and I just don't think it should be so. Hopefully a couple of loans come in but I'm disappointed we haven't strengthened with a couple more permanent signings at the back and at Centre midfield.

It only takes a couple of injuries to require guys playing out of position.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm confident we can stay up.

Some guy called Brian Hamilton, who was our Director of Football allegedly, has stepped down from his role.

Club Statement - SAFC (stirlingalbionfc.co.uk)

He came in during the summer, had the kind of impressive playing background that we all like at this level, played for good top end teams where he won cups and picked up International Youth experience. He also had previous experience in similar roles at 3 or 4 different clubs and looked to be a welcomed addition to the club. As it transpires, I'm not even sure what he did during his 3 or 4 months here....if anything at all. He was certainly never visual to the paying punter, there was no big "this is what I'm going to do during my time here" speech, simply nothing.

He agreed to a meeting with members of the Supporters Club prior to the game against Kelty Hearts, I couldn't make the meeting however the feedback I got from it was very wooly, I don't think anyone who attended it was any further forward in any plans that he brought to the table, with 1 supporter telling me "he just came out with all the stuff we'd heard before."

When I read the statement this morning, I thought "meh", but I wonder if there's simply more going on with this than we thought. Was Hamilton simply a poor appointment, someone who the board wanted to be a figurehead but when he took up the post he wasn't, or was he a man that had the best intentions initially, but then had too much on his plate and just couldn't commit?? Doubt we'll ever know, but it will be interesting to see what happens next I'm sure.

Strange one for sure.

You can never really tell what's going on behind the scenes as we have come to expect silence around that.

Can't see it making much difference in the short term.

When I saw a post in this thread, I really hoped it was going to be a loan player or two coming in but nevermind

1 hour ago, WattersIsGod said:

When I saw a post in this thread, I really hoped it was going to be a loan player or two coming in but nevermind

Darren Young mentioned in his after match video that someone is training with us at the moment and he is also looking for Left Back cover. So with the Loan market closing on Saturday (according to other threads), maybe something will be announced after training tonight or on Friday.

On 28/09/2023 at 09:12, BB_Bino said:

Some guy called Brian Hamilton, who was our Director of Football allegedly, has stepped down from his role.

He came in during the summer, had the kind of impressive playing background that we all like at this level, played for good top end teams where he won cups and picked up International Youth experience. He also had previous experience in similar roles at 3 or 4 different clubs and looked to be a welcomed addition to the club. As it transpires, I'm not even sure what he did during his 3 or 4 months here....if anything at all. He was certainly never visual to the paying punter, there was no big "this is what I'm going to do during my time here" speech, simply nothing.

He agreed to a meeting with members of the Supporters Club prior to the game against Kelty Hearts, I couldn't make the meeting however the feedback I got from it was very wooly, I don't think anyone who attended it was any further forward in any plans that he brought to the table, with 1 supporter telling me "he just came out with all the stuff we'd heard before."

When I read the statement this morning, I thought "meh", but I wonder if there's simply more going on with this than we thought. Was Hamilton simply a poor appointment, someone who the board wanted to be a figurehead but when he took up the post he wasn't, or was he a man that had the best intentions initially, but then had too much on his plate and just couldn't commit?? Doubt we'll ever know, but it will be interesting to see what happens next I'm sure.

One thing to note, it may be on health grounds. He got absolutely riddled with Covid, and during the meeting we had, you could hear him struggling for breath at times, so that may have been a factor. However, not getting the players names right wasn't a great start, and he talked for ages without really saying anything. Strange appointment, even stranger departure. 

2 signings for the squad last night, 1 for the Development Squad ultimately, but 2 players coming in with good backgrounds.

Will be interesting to see how Wilson gets on. I thought he played well for Albion Rovers when we played them on the final day of the season. Sure, it was by no means our best team and an end of season dead rubber in our eyes, but still.

On 28/09/2023 at 09:12, BB_Bino said:

To be honest mate I don't even want to know.  The manager won promotion without a DOF, so the departure doesn't concern me.  

Must admit to not knowing anything about him, but I did read a couple of positive posts when he came on as a trialist last week (in the Cove thread). Let’s hope he can have the same positive impact as Milne and Hilson.