Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

4 hours ago, MrBeeno said:

I doubt anyone at Stirling thought he would leave you and move to Stirling.My guess is that someone just made that up.

My guess is that your guess is BS.

Welcome to the Alan Maybury era. 

it's already lasted longer than the Chris Aitken one so that's a promising start. 

much to do.....

it will be interesting to see what sort of squad he can put together given the publicised cuts to the playing budget. i'm not opposed to resigning Geeks, Jojo, Cooper or Moore. i doubt any of them break the bank and i think all are decent league 2 players. i'd really like Geeks to stay and i'd love to see Cooper get a chance under a new manager. 

i have no idea what else we can afford.......

i'll be renewing my season ticket. i'm not happy with how the last few weeks have gone but what else am i going to do on a Saturday afternoon? lets hope we can get a decent team on the park to provide some distraction from the general incompetence that seems to surround our club. 

1 hour ago, WattersIsGod said:

Welcome to the Alan Maybury era. 

it's already lasted longer than the Chris Aitken one so that's a promising start. 

much to do.....

it will be interesting to see what sort of squad he can put together given the publicised cuts to the playing budget. i'm not opposed to resigning Geeks, Jojo, Cooper or Moore. i doubt any of them break the bank and i think all are decent league 2 players. i'd really like Geeks to stay and i'd love to see Cooper get a chance under a new manager. 

i have no idea what else we can afford.......

i'll be renewing my season ticket. i'm not happy with how the last few weeks have gone but what else am i going to do on a Saturday afternoon? lets hope we can get a decent team on the park to provide some distraction from the general incompetence that seems to surround our club. 

Totally agree with all of this, and would very much like the 4 players mentioned to re-sign 🤞🏻

Can't turn back the clock, but events after the final Annan game suggest there was some unrest. The Fubar party for RMc and the hungover performance in Dumbarton followed by DY's "ragin' comments suggests the players gave up or knew what was coming.

We can blame the board/trust/previous board etc but ultimately the manager and players didn't do enough in those final weeks - fine margins though - and we wouldn't be in this position now.

Think Maybury is worth a shot. He did decent work taking Edinburgh City up from League Two after coming in during the season and his full season in League One was really good (apart from last season collapse). Yes he had a half decent budget (more than they could afford as it turned out) but probably still over achieved. Made a terrible start last season but that has to been seen in the context of the mess the club was in. I was surprised he wasn't mentioned for other jobs since then and he certainly looks a better bet than Chris Aitken. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SA45 said:

Can't turn back the clock, but events after the final Annan game suggest there was some unrest. The Fubar party for RMc and the hungover performance in Dumbarton followed by DY's "ragin' comments suggests the players gave up or knew what was coming.

We can blame the board/trust/previous board etc but ultimately the manager and players didn't do enough in those final weeks - fine margins though - and we wouldn't be in this position now.

I honestly  don't believe those players gave up.  United in anger rather than the  positive way they were united before maybe, but gave up?  No mate I don't believe that of them.  Can understand why people might think that, but no.

Edited by WC Boggs

8 hours ago, MrBeeno said:

I doubt anyone at Stirling thought he would leave you and move to Stirling.My guess is that someone just made that up.

However the story came about, I hope that it wasn’t the result of an approach to a manager under contract without going through the manager’s club. Perhaps it was while he was between contracts.

31 minutes ago, SA45 said:

It really did all get a bit weird and miserable towards the end of the season. I just put it down to  the tension of the relegation battle.

I just never saw a team thet had given up.

Even when demoralised they did seem to come back with an effort.

Even the 2nd half of the last Dumbarton game. There was plenty effort until the end just no cool or calmess at the crucial moment.

Drained of confidence for sure but not through a lack of trying.

On 02/06/2024 at 20:30, The Minertaur said:

Would take a keeper and a goalscorer. Thanks.

Take Lewis Milne...he's not a striker or a goalie....but he's an excellent passenger...gaurenteed not to tackle or get dirty...wears a nice hairband 

2 minutes ago, Beepee67 said:

Take Lewis Milne...he's not a striker or a goalie....but he's an excellent passenger...gaurenteed not to tackle or get dirty...wears a nice hairband 

now that Leitch is away and there's no hairband competition he'll revel in his new found freedom...........

we can but hope.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

now that Leitch is away and there's no hairband competition he'll revel in his new found freedom...........

we can but hope.

Is he confirmed as gone? I know we were linked with him, but I'm not sure about it. We already have too many options who aren't quite good enough in midfield. 

Edited by squeezebox-son

12 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Is he confirmed as gone? I know we were linked with him, but I'm not sure about it. We already have too many options who aren't quite good enough in midfield. 

He was one of those eventually mentioned as away on the club statement but I've heard nothing since about him signing elsewhere.

1 hour ago, WattersIsGod said:

He was one of those eventually mentioned as away on the club statement but I've heard nothing since about him signing elsewhere.

Ah, fair enough. Just hadn't noticed anything about him signing on anywhere. Do you think he'll move to a league 1 club or hang about in league 2?

1 minute ago, squeezebox-son said:

Ah, fair enough. Just hadn't noticed anything about him signing on anywhere. Do you think he'll move to a league 1 club or hang about in league 2?

I'd have thought League 2 but seeing Cammy Clark (Dumbarton) and Kyle Banner (Stenhousmuir) have remained in League 1, albeit joining the two promoted clubs despite frankly being found well short at that level last season is something of surprise to say the least so anything is possible in all honesty when you consider that. 

Would imagine he'll end up at a Clyde/Peterhead/Spartans as this is his level to be fair. 

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

I'd have thought League 2 but seeing Cammy Clark (Dumbarton) and Kyle Banner (Stenhousmuir) have remained in League 1, albeit joining the two promoted clubs despite frankly being found well short at that level last season is something of surprise to say the least so anything is possible in all honesty when you consider that. 

Would imagine he'll end up at a Clyde/Peterhead/Spartans as this is his level to be fair. 

I'd agree with that. Could well see him turning up somewhere like that.

Leitch is just too slow for League one.

His lack of pace was an issue defensively even in league 2 but we didn't have to do nearly as much defending.

This year a lot of games passed him by and he wasn't even consistently effective in a creative sense.

Leitch would have worked well under Maybury I reckon. I have absolutely zero basis for this opinion, but I thought I'd give it anyway, as I'm edgy that way.