Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Just now, third lanark said:

Jack McMillan has left Partick Thistle so it would not surprise me if we are one of the interested clubs in Ballantyne 

I’ve been told it’s already a done deal and could be announced in the next day or 2. 

As mentioned, ballantyne will be a big loss. He was able to fill in at left back and right back. When we switched to the 5 at the back then he was a great option at the right centre back. Some of our best results came when we played this formation with him there. That is us lost three of our basic first choice defence. Two of them have went to teams directly above us. There is a lot of pressure on the boy from East Kilbride as he is having to fill in for megwa and ballantyne who were our right backs. 

I said this many times last season but this just proves that we should have enjoyed last season as it’s clear that was probably as good as it got. McCabe is a great manager so this will be a good test for him. If we lose Rae and frizzell as well then it’s looking pretty difficult to replicate last season. Frustrating as I genuinely thought we were a decent striker away from being able to challenge for the league. 

Suppose it’s makes it a bit more interesting. 

This might be a very unpopular opinion but I think Craig Watson is very underappreciated and is every bit as good a right back as Cammy Ballantyne is.

I think he's a much better right back than what he is centre back and although he has the odd brain fart in him he's been pretty solid in every season for us, including last season when he scored 5 goals for us in the Championship.

As much as I would have liked Cammy to stay the more I think about it I don't see him leaving as a total disaster, I would be more gutted about Telfer and Frizzell leaving.

5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Thoughts? I imagine he'd be coming in as our second-choice keeper (in the assumption/hope that Dimitar Mitov stays).

He certainly won’t play over Mitov, he could be a prem no1 in near future but don’t think I’d have him there all season just yet, still young and a lot to learn (kicking and coming out his box correctly etc) really good shot stopper tho. Seems to be a bit prone to injury as well, very able number 2 right now though.

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Thoughts? I imagine he'd be coming in as our second-choice keeper (in the assumption/hope that Dimitar Mitov stays).

Great keeper. The way we play left him a bit exposed at times but people forget he’s still just 23 and will only get better. Best airdrie keeper in my lifetime by some distance. Gutted to lose him but he’d be a great replacement for mitov if he goes.

Certainly wish him all the best. It’s a decent move for him, Mitov will be away in the near future and while Rae might not be ready to start every week in the Premiership just yet, he definitely has the potential to do that. Very comfortable with the ball at his feet, a good size and seemed to be working on his weakness (he really improved with one on ones this season)

He does make mistakes but they’re often really funny (charging out his box, nonsense every time he played Dunfermline, conceding while standing on the halfway line etc). Ultimately he saved us far more than he cost us, while being quite exposed with the way we play, and it was inevitable he moved upwards at some point. We’ll remember that penalty save for a long, long time.

No real shock to be honest but I reckon we need to announce a few proven solid signings sooner rather than later or it’s going to become very tetchy. 

eta: I reckon the only player we’ve been in talks with from last seasons squad that we will hold onto is Friz.

Edited by Diamond8

5 minutes ago, AirdrieDaft77 said:

Confirmed done deal 

IMG_1852.png

Good luck to Josh moving on up as they say.

So Josh must have declined Airdries offer as well obviously,  why does Cammy Ballantyne get an announcement on social media regarding him declining his offer also,  just a little odd why mention one only ..

So that leaves only Frizzell and Telfer left to resign,  cannot say I am too confident,  I hope Rhys has it in hand ,  can consilium dig us out a recruitment blank hole .

2 minutes ago, Diamonds1924 said:

Would we be due compensation for this due to his age?

He is under 24 so if we offered him a contract we would be entitled to a development fee I believe. 

Sorry to see Josh go but he’ll always be remembered for that penalty save.  Can’t grudge any players moving to play at a higher level, it’s the ones who move to a direct rival that leave a bitter taste.  Nonetheless we’ll support the 11 men we have on the park whoever they may be 

38 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Can’t begrudge him a move to the Premier League. All the best to him. If you can boil our promotion and current position as a club down to one moment, it’s that penalty save at Hamilton. Should be thanked and remembered by Airdrie fans for a long time. 

Excellent shot-stopper, good size and, while I wouldn’t say it’s the first attribute that comes to mind, I think his command of his penalty box is pretty good. Despite it being so key to how we play, I actually think his distribution is under-rated. With the way we play a goalie making a mistake or two is inevitable, but you also wouldn’t last if your distribution wasn’t excellent. Really comfortable and confident with the ball at his feet and he’s been a key component of the bulk of our attacking play, and a few goals too. 

His positioning and decision-making could be better. Especially when coming or already out of his box, and I sometimes think he’s beaten too easily at the near and back post last season (though admittedly that’s probably more the full-backs fault than his). 

But I’d say he’s probably comfortably the best Airdrie goalie I’ve seen in my 22 years supporting the club and he’s always looked likely to get a move to the Premier League eventually. Not as good as Mitov but I actually think he could play for you now and be good enough. I think people forget too how young he is, especially for a goalie. Only going to get better.