Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I did think before Saturday that Inverness was the game for Gallagher and Todorov for tonight, given how strong they are defensively. If we can get crosses into the box for him to attack then Todorov might do well tonight. Endless sideways possession and there’s no real point in him playing.

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

Anybody worried yet?

I'm the same ammount of worried as I was at the first game of the season, said then I would be delighted with 8th and still would be. We've done better than I thought and certainly wont be adrift but keeping essentialy the same team that failed to win  League One last season was always going to be risky. Think we've seen thith Frizz to an extent and certainly with Gabby that it is a hard step up for some. Think we could have done with even 1-2 more players of proven quality, as seen in the last two games. I still think on balance we'll stay up but will be a battle every game and hard to pinpoint two teams we'll finish above.

Think I’m a bit less worried after tonight to be honest. I thought we were very competitive until the first goal and the spell between the goals was the best we’ve played since maybe the Ross County game. Obviously that counts for nothing if you don’t pick up any points though.

Someone was shouting something at McCabe near the end but I thought he mostly got things right tonight. The two goals were very soft, Rae’s weak flap at the ball puts it on a plate for Fotheringham at the first and then a slack pass from McStravick for the second, but other than that I don’t have too many complaints at the performance. We were more direct going forward, getting more crosses into the box and moving the ball much quicker at times. Yes, it’s another game without scoring but I thought we looked a lot more threatening. If we’d played like that against Queen’s Park or Inverness I think we’d have picked up more points.

It’s a league with one very good team, one good team and eight jobbers. If we can be a bit more direct at times like tonight and avoid the endless possession I think we’ll start to score a few more goals, though obviously not at last seasons standards. If we can stop gifting teams the opening goal then that would help too.

37 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Anybody worried yet?

Why would any Airdrie fan be worried? Every man and their dog had you down for 10th place before a ball was kicked but you’ve proved us wrong so far and are sitting in 5th place. There’s a long way to go and it’ll be a tough season but you’ve shown you’re a competitive team and have a good chance of staying up. See you on Saturday guys. 

I'm getting really fucked off with the amount of idle time we have on the ball between our centre halves and goalkeeper. It's beyond tedious. McCabe is in a horrible position in terms of team selection and style of play and most of it is his own doing. All fine and well having a style of play but we don't have a purpose to go with it. 

Tonight was men against boys at times,  we are so naive as a team,   funnily enough defensively we were ok, apart from blowing our toes,  Rae should have left the cross as it was going safe and McStravick with his slack backpass,  don't know why he was in that position anyway.  We played much better 1st half and a decent side would have had a couple of goals during that spell,  Todorov was a welcome change up top,  Aiken tried hard with Telfer in the middle,  although Aiken could be out for a while with what looked like an Achilles issue..

Sadly Frizzell our captain,  cannot play in the middle of the park, he is clearly 2 yards slow and was painful to watch,  where does he play though,  Gabby McGill out his depth also,  we are down to the bones after this although young Dunlop got a couple of deliveries into the box late on...  squad wise there is not much else O Connor, Hancock not much there is there and Gavin Gallagher seemingly still having his issues although he has found time to join Rhys's agency Consilium..

On the downside the abuse McCabe was getting was uncalled for, and hIs old man and family apparently watch the games from a box now due to abuse received at the Arbroath game.... If true surely we as a support are better than this ffs ....

38 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Why would any Airdrie fan be worried? Every man and their dog had you down for 10th place before a ball was kicked but you’ve proved us wrong so far and are sitting in 5th place. There’s a long way to go and it’ll be a tough season but you’ve shown you’re a competitive team and have a good chance of staying up. See you on Saturday guys. 

League place irrelevant really at this point in the season, teams below us have 2 games in hand. The football the last 5 games or so has been hard to watch and each week goes by we’re looking worse, players really struggling with the step up. McCabe doesn’t know his best 11 constant chopping and changing not helping.

I thought the performance tonight was much better than the Inverness game, we battled well, were a bit more direct and took a bit more risks going forward.

The disappointing thing was the two goals that we conceded were soft and completely avoidable, it's comical at times the amount of soft goals we concede at our own doing.

I think what we also need to learn is that when we are playing out from the back, teams are not going to press us, I'm not saying to lump it up the park but instead of the slow passing it around from the back, play with a bit more urgency, move the ball quicker and get up the pitch.

The positives I can take from tonight were that I thought for 20 minutes towards the end of the second half we were the better side and were unlucky not to score, that was the best I've seen us in weeks.

I saw McCabe's Dad at the Inverness game so I don't think he's in a box but I do think some of the shouts are way over the top from some of our supporters.

The Raith fan who posted on here is 100% spot on, 90% of Championship supporters had us down on their predictions to either be cannon fodder or finish 10th. We've shown that we can be competitive in this league and if we stay up finishing 8th or above that'll be a successful season.

I fully expected that we would go on a run of 5 or 6 games without picking up many points at some point but it can go much more than that before the confidence drains. We are however still competitive but I still stand by my pre-season thoughts that we need a couple of "quality" players as we're not far away.

There are concerns though:

• If Aiken is injured there will be a big issue in the middle of the park with him being far and away the most athletic player in that area.
  • Putting aside McStravick's involvement in United's 2nd goal, his ball retention is terrible and quite honestly he's not yet ready for 90 mins at this level other than sub appearances despite his talent..
  • Todorov got his chance but all he did was prove that Gal is our No 1 striker and like McStravick just looks like a useful sub.

Anyone know why McMaster was missing?

I think the frustration amongst fans is to totally justified. McCabe is coming out with wild statements in the press that we can win the league etc and we are nowhere near it. It’s just delusion. 

He continues to say that if our performances are good enough then the results will come our way. I think the Raith and Patrick games were our only good performances that ended in us taking all 3 points. 

There’s also the element of literally gifting  goals to the opposition. I’ve counted at least 20 occasions this year where either Rae or Fordyce have passed it directly to an opposing striker. The QP game being the most recent example.

We are far too predictable and are lacking serious power up top. 

26 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think the frustration amongst fans is to totally justified. McCabe is coming out with wild statements in the press that we can win the league etc and we are nowhere near it. It’s just delusion. 

A crazy statement, we've took 1 point since he's said that.

Need a couple of solid signings in January to improve the squad. Has any of McCabes summer signings actually improved the squad? Megwa maybe but the rest not so much. Josh O'Connor seems like the biggest waste so far, paid money for McStarvick and we don't know what position he plays. 

29 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

He continues to say that if our performances are good enough then the results will come our way. I think the Raith and Patrick games were our only good performances that ended in us taking all 3 points. 

There’s also the element of literally gifting  goals to the opposition. I’ve counted at least 20 occasions this year where either Rae or Fordyce have passed it directly to an opposing striker. The QP game being the most recent example.

We are far too predictable and are lacking serious power up top. 

Pretty much agree,  Rhys was telling his players in last season's playoffs, don't trust the media, don't comment just play your game and he commits the ultimate sin, and he will get reminded of it by all and sundry..

We need a result from somewhere, just to calm the waters,  our squad is 21 which should be enough,  but we lack serious options, our core which we can rely on last couple of seasons Frizzell and Gabby cannot cut it in the championship, and last night painfully showed it..

It looks like Rhys will have to lead from the front in Kirkcaldy,  tough times,   where would we rather be though.....

8 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

A crazy statement, we've took 1 point since he's said that.

Need a couple of solid signings in January to improve the squad. Has any of McCabes summer signings actually improved the squad? Megwa maybe but the rest not so much. Josh O'Connor seems like the biggest waste so far, paid money for McStarvick and we don't know what position he plays. 

Think we played as well as we can ,fell short again (was saying to the boys in there)sound familiar,it should it's said every week ,We are first division players being asked to play in championship and without a considerable change we will definitely land back there,

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I fully expected that we would go on a run of 5 or 6 games without picking up many points at some point but it can go much more than that before the confidence drains. We are however still competitive but I still stand by my pre-season thoughts that we need a couple of "quality" players as we're not far away.

There are concerns though:

• If Aiken is injured there will be a big issue in the middle of the park with him being far and away the most athletic player in that area.
  • Putting aside McStravick's involvement in United's 2nd goal, his ball retention is terrible and quite honestly he's not yet ready for 90 mins at this level other than sub appearances despite his talent..
  • Todorov got his chance but all he did was prove that Gal is our No 1 striker and like McStravick just looks like a useful sub.

Anyone know why McMaster was missing?

Yeah this is a big concern. We really miss Aiken when he’s not playing and don’t have an obvious replacement. He was the best player on the park against Raith last time and I wouldn’t fancy going up there with a very slow midfield of McCabe, Telfer and Frizzell. I wonder if Megwa might end up in there like the last 20 minutes last night as someone with a bit of mobility who can tackle. 

As an aside, that’s a few games now where we’ve seemingly moved to a back three when chasing a game. Has it worked at all yet?

23 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Pretty much agree,  Rhys was telling his players in last season's playoffs, don't trust the media, don't comment just play your game and he commits the ultimate sin, and he will get reminded of it by all and sundry..

We need a result from somewhere, just to calm the waters,  our squad is 21 which should be enough,  but we lack serious options, our core which we can rely on last couple of seasons Frizzell and Gabby cannot cut it in the championship, and last night painfully showed it..

It looks like Rhys will have to lead from the front in Kirkcaldy,  tough times,   where would we rather be though.....

Hope the result you need comes this Saturday.

This isn’t meant to be a criticism of the players but we are not good enough to compete with Dundee Utd. Not a few teams in this league. Absolutely we gifted them goals but they had another few gears in them if needed no doubts. 

Even the money Raith spent should see them clear in second. The recruitment from Partick looked decent at the start of the season and that’s another budget we can’t compete with. 

I’m not advocating happy clapping or just accepting shit performances last night frustrated me but I think the great start to the season is clouding the realisation that we are relegation favourites with a squad from league 1. 3 loan players from hibs (2 signed before promotion). Todorov, Hancock and McStravick the first team signings whilst arguably losing 2 of our best players in Smith and Justin. I have absolutely no doubt McCabe would have wanted more signings and good experiences championship players at that but our squad is going to struggle look at Dunfermline who finished what 22 points in front of us. Hardly setting the division alight. 

I think we need a plan b too and I agree now teams sit off us our build up play is too slow at times leaving it congested in the middle of the park. I like a few of our midfielders as individual players but again for me as a collective unit we are not able to dominate the middle of the park in any game and we have no where near the creativity or direct threat coming from there like we did last season. I don’t know the solution though without new players neither do most of us. 

57 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

This isn’t meant to be a criticism of the players but we are not good enough to compete with Dundee Utd. Not a few teams in this league. Absolutely we gifted them goals but they had another few gears in them if needed no doubts. 

Even the money Raith spent should see them clear in second. The recruitment from Partick looked decent at the start of the season and that’s another budget we can’t compete with. 

I’m not advocating happy clapping or just accepting shit performances last night frustrated me but I think the great start to the season is clouding the realisation that we are relegation favourites with a squad from league 1. 3 loan players from hibs (2 signed before promotion). Todorov, Hancock and McStravick the first team signings whilst arguably losing 2 of our best players in Smith and Justin. I have absolutely no doubt McCabe would have wanted more signings and good experiences championship players at that but our squad is going to struggle look at Dunfermline who finished what 22 points in front of us. Hardly setting the division alight. 

I think we need a plan b too and I agree now teams sit off us our build up play is too slow at times leaving it congested in the middle of the park. I like a few of our midfielders as individual players but again for me as a collective unit we are not able to dominate the middle of the park in any game and we have no where near the creativity or direct threat coming from there like we did last season. I don’t know the solution though without new players neither do most of us. 

Recruitment was and still is an Achilles heal for Rhys,   all signings to me seem to be an agenda if either being signed up by Consilium when they sign or sign up when we sign them, is this a prerequisite requirement or just coincidence....  

That's scary Todorov, Hancock and McStravick are the 3 players scouted as quality signings .. 

Let's be honest the majority of us, knew we were short,  and I am led to believe the budget was not spent before the window closed ..  all we can do is battle away, every point has to be fought for,   Rhys is feeling the heat and has never reacted to criticism before....  

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Recruitment was and still is an Achilles heal for Rhys,   all signings to me seem to be an agenda if either being signed up by Consilium when they sign or sign up when we sign them, is this a prerequisite requirement or just coincidence....  

That's scary Todorov, Hancock and McStravick are the 3 players scouted as quality signings .. 

Let's be honest the majority of us, knew we were short,  and I am led to believe the budget was not spent before the window closed ..  all we can do is battle away, every point has to be fought for,   Rhys is feeling the heat and has never reacted to criticism before....  

If Rhys thinks this team can finish anywhere near top of league ,we are in trouble ,