Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

8 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Great draw I think. Outside chance of an upset, will be near enough a sell-out and potentially a TV game too.

Good draw,  Hearts maybe bring 2.5 k was thinking the same possible TV game, although Hearts were on it yesterday against Spartans..  The old firm will get the other 2 TV games as normal.

Fancy our chances in this one if we play to our full potential. Would be nice to have everyone fit by then (Ballantyne ?  and Aiken) excluded.

When we reached our last 2 cup finals we beat a certain team (Hearts) on the way in the semi - finals.
Can lightning strike 3 times??

Are  the stars aligning for a cup win 100 years on. Where’s Mystic Meg when you need her!!😂😂😂

C’mon the ♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

Just now, Passionate said:

Good draw,  Hearts maybe bring 2.5 k was thinking the same possible TV game, although Hearts were on it yesterday against Spartans..  The old firm will get the other 2 TV games as normal.

Hearts will bring way more than that. Maybe less if it's the Friday night game, or just a TV game in general, but they'll need the 3 stands.

11 minutes ago, weigh cider said:

Think it could be a near sell out???

If I had to guess we'll have between 2-3k and will have the main stand. Harder to say with Hearts and depends a lot on whether we are the Friday night game but Hearts will bring 4-5k I think if it's the Saturday or Sunday.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Delighted with that draw, hard game but definitely winnable.

Noticed Hearts are playing St Johnstone on 7th February so seems likely that the game will either be played on a Saturday or Sunday and I'd imagine it will be televised.

If Hibs can give us Megwa on a one game emergency loan that would be great too.

Edited by David Fernández

Huge game. Glad it's at home to them. Like a few have said will be a huge attendance and yes it is undoubtedly our toughest test in the McCabe era but definitely one we could get a win in if we play like we did yesterday. Looking forward to this ♦️♦️

35 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

If I had to guess we'll have between 2-3k and will have the main stand. Harder to say with Hearts and depends a lot on whether we are the Friday night game but Hearts will bring 4-5k I think if it's the Saturday or Sunday.

Hibs took 3,000 to Forfar on Saturday. Airdrie is less than an hour away & has a direct train line so I’d think Hearts bring 4-5k. If we can get around the 2.5k mark then I don’t think that’ll be far off.

Buzzing for this.  Should be a pretty decent payday, and while of course Hearts are massive favourites we'll fear nobody if we keep on as we are, especially at home.  Should be a good atmosphere and another chance for our players to show what they can do on a big stage.

This is definitely a good draw for us.  Gives us a real test against one of the better teams in the Premiership.  Having said that, looking back on their recent results they have won games very narrowly or lost them narrowly.  Their Celtic win aside, most have been 1-0, 2-1 etc and there hasn’t been much between their meetings with Rangers… or Spartans.   This team could easily fall to a motivated Airdrie side but we’d have to be at our very, very best.   I’ll be watching their results over the coming weeks to see where they are before their visit to Airdrie.  

expecting a crowd of about 7000 which will provide a nice enough payday.  Gives the boys a real Premiership feel at Broomfield which I’m sure will give them extra motivation.  I’m sure Rhys will want to show everyone what his Diamonds can do.  Dare I say it, an Airdrie win would firmly put Rhys in the shop window? 

Obviously extra money coming in, is there room to get an extra signing or two before end of the window? 

great time to be a Diamond, Mon the Airdrie ♦️ 

What a brilliant day Saturday was. I wasn't that excited initially after the draw was made, but on the day itself it was fantastic having what felt like, and ultimately was, a big(ish) cup tie at the stadium. And as others have said, a fully deserved win against an established Premiership side. Nice that that's becoming a bit of a habit! Frizzell was the best player on the park, Telfer and Hancock were outstanding as they have been for months, Fordyce was never troubled by that big dumplin' Kimpioka or Stevie May and shoutout to Watson who ably replaced Megwa* and McMaster who came into the side after a few weeks out and strolled it. When we take a lead and maintain our shape I'm not sure I've ever seen an Airdrie team look so comfortable on and off the ball. St Johnstone never looked like scoring and I'm not sure Raith, Inverness, Morton or Queen's Park, penalty aside, did either. I'm buzzing to play Hearts. We shouldn't get carried away. It's the most difficult tie we could get outside the Old Firm but, they're not infallible and I'd fancy us to give anyone a game at home. More than anything else I'm looking forward to the sense of occasion it will bring to the town and the stadium. Hearts have never played competitively at New Broomfield so should bring a big crowd through. I just hope it's Saturday at 15:00 so we can really optimise the crowd and that sense of occasion. I could tolerate Saturday tea-time but Friday, Saturday mid-day, Sunday or Monday would be shite. 

My only worry after Saturday would be I hope Gabby and Gal's knocks aren't too serious. If they are then we'll need to bring in another forward or hope Lyall can play upfront because if we have to rely on O'Connor for any length of time we're goosed. 

Class to see Megwa at our game and celebrating with the players at full-time rather than up at Forfar*. 

On 20/01/2024 at 17:40, Mr November said:

Was thinking about this during the game today. The amount of big home games we’ve won over the last few years is ridiculous compared to the decade or so before it. Can add today, Partick Thistle and both Raith games to the list above. It’s great having a very likeable team doing all of this too.

Even just the number of games we win at home in general. Feels like we've hardly lost at New Broomfield since that run late in the Covid season. Which is a stark change from our home record from probably every season playing there before that! 

17 hours ago, weigh cider said:

Think it could be a near sell out???

Hearts will sell out whatever allocation you give them.

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Seen a few posts on Twitter about Rhys McCabe’s progression… hopefully that isn’t the start of Jackie Mc starting to pitch him around the place for other jobs.

If we stay in the league quite comfortably, I'd be surprised if he was still here after the summer. Unless he is desperate to carry on playing of course. 

7 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

If we stay in the league quite comfortably, I'd be surprised if he was still here after the summer. Unless he is desperate to carry on playing of course. 

Rhys is doing and has done a fantastic job,  I just don't think the bigger clubs would take a risk on someone doing something completely different,  they are too set on their ways of survival and negativity, look at St Johnstone a poor negative side who could easily finish 7th in the top league this season..    

Hopefully he is here for a few more years ,  enjoy this time being an Airdrie fan,  look at the next 3 games,  Partick at home, a televised Semi final at Raith and a possibly televised Scottish Cup 5th round tie at home to Hearts,   it sure beats Clyde, Peterhead and Montrose respectively..

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

What a brilliant day Saturday was. I wasn't that excited initially after the draw was made, but on the day itself it was fantastic having what felt like, and ultimately was, a big(ish) cup tie at the stadium. And as others have said, a fully deserved win against an established Premiership side. Nice that that's becoming a bit of a habit! Frizzell was the best player on the park, Telfer and Hancock were outstanding as they have been for months, Fordyce was never troubled by that big dumplin' Kimpioka or Stevie May and shoutout to Watson who ably replaced Megwa* and McMaster who came into the side after a few weeks out and strolled it. When we take a lead and maintain our shape I'm not sure I've ever seen an Airdrie team look so comfortable on and off the ball. St Johnstone never looked like scoring and I'm not sure Raith, Inverness, Morton or Queen's Park, penalty aside, did either. I'm buzzing to play Hearts. We shouldn't get carried away. It's the most difficult tie we could get outside the Old Firm but, they're not infallible and I'd fancy us to give anyone a game at home. More than anything else I'm looking forward to the sense of occasion it will bring to the town and the stadium. Hearts have never played competitively at New Broomfield so should bring a big crowd through. I just hope it's Saturday at 15:00 so we can really optimise the crowd and that sense of occasion. I could tolerate Saturday tea-time but Friday, Saturday mid-day, Sunday or Monday would be shite. 

My only worry after Saturday would be I hope Gabby and Gal's knocks aren't too serious. If they are then we'll need to bring in another forward or hope Lyall can play upfront because if we have to rely on O'Connor for any length of time we're goosed. 

Class to see Megwa at our game and celebrating with the players at full-time rather than up at Forfar*. 

A lot of talk of the Hearts game being on the box,  24k you get for it,   If it is somebody said a Monday night is a possibility also (BBC showed last season on that night). It would highly affect the crowd,   I am hoping a for a 3pm Saturday and get a big crowd in,  24k is worth roughly about 1200 fans,  you would lose more than that off the crowd on a Friday or a Monday.. 

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

A lot of talk of the Hearts game being on the box,  24k you get for it,   If it is somebody said a Monday night is a possibility also (BBC showed last season on that night). It would highly affect the crowd,   I am hoping a for a 3pm Saturday and get a big crowd in,  24k is worth roughly about 1200 fans,  you would lose more than that off the crowd on a Friday or a Monday.. 

Definitely, the £24k isn't actually a net gain if the game is moved to a Monday night. I think we'd be  financially better off without the TV money if we played at 3pm on a Saturday, plus you'd have a better atmosphere. Like you I'd much rather have a normal kick-off time.