Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Good draw, Hearts will be difficult and harder than St Johnstone, but it's a cup game so...!! 

We'll have the main stand (probably around 2500), they'll be given the East Stand of course and Petersburn Road so they'll probably bring at least 4500. Earlier prediction of 7k not far off I reckon. Not a massive payday as after the SFA 's cut we'll only get half the gate, so averaging out at £20 a ticket £70k less cost of policing, stewarding etc... Still, money in for the club. 

15 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Rhys is doing and has done a fantastic job,  I just don't think the bigger clubs would take a risk on someone doing something completely different,  they are too set on their ways of survival and negativity, look at St Johnstone a poor negative side who could easily finish 7th in the top league this season..    

Hopefully he is here for a few more years ,  enjoy this time being an Airdrie fan,  look at the next 3 games,  Partick at home, a televised Semi final at Raith and a possibly televised Scottish Cup 5th round tie at home to Hearts,   it sure beats Clyde, Peterhead and Montrose respectively..

I get what you're saying but this is the same St Johnstone who appointed Steven MacLean who had precisely zero management experience at first team level. Same with Robson at Aberdeen, with Naismith at Hearts, Hammell at Motherwell, and that's just the last 2 years. Numerous more guys who have been given jobs with no criteria other than 'played for the club' and some vague 'highly thought of' nonsense due to taking a youth team. Or being the beneficiary of a new manager bounce when standing in for a few games.

If all of the above can get those jobs it's bizarre that someone who has actually got a CV (albeit quite short) with some achievements on it is seen as a risk.

That said, I don't disagree with you that that is how clubs would view it, but it just seems weird to me.

24 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I get what you're saying but this is the same St Johnstone who appointed Steven MacLean who had precisely zero management experience at first team level. Same with Robson at Aberdeen, with Naismith at Hearts, Hammell at Motherwell, and that's just the last 2 years. Numerous more guys who have been given jobs with no criteria other than 'played for the club' and some vague 'highly thought of' nonsense due to taking a youth team. Or being the beneficiary of a new manager bounce when standing in for a few games.

If all of the above can get those jobs it's bizarre that someone who has actually got a CV (albeit quite short) with some achievements on it is seen as a risk.

That said, I don't disagree with you that that is how clubs would view it, but it just seems weird to me.

The Premier is just a massive clique, as you say St Johnstone appointed McLean a total disaster , everybody knew it,  same with Motherwell when they appointed Hammell and Ross County the same with that maniac Adams..   They seem so ingrained in just getting the money, I would like to see those chairmen try and make their club competitive on 100k prize money a season, that we had to do for years in League 1.

If anybody wants a laugh get yourself over to the Jambos kickback forum and see the Airdrie thread. Lots of Clydebank, John Martins a scab, Airdrie fans are racist/nazis chat. It’s like a mental institution for angry hate filled Hearts supporters. Good to still all those defeats still hurt them 😂 

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/203117-scottish-cup-fifth-round-draw-airdrie-v-hearts/page/5/

40 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

If anybody wants a laugh get yourself over to the Jambos kickback forum and see the Airdrie thread. Lots of Clydebank, John Martins a scab, Airdrie fans are racist/nazis chat. It’s like a mental institution for angry hate filled Hearts supporters. Good to still all those defeats still hurt them 😂 

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/203117-scottish-cup-fifth-round-draw-airdrie-v-hearts/page/5/

Makes me so proud that they haven't forgotten about us 🤣

59 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Makes me so proud that they haven't forgotten about us 🤣

Total joke of a thread, digging up about Johnny Martin 40 years later, clueless as to Airdrie's circumstances  - conveniently forgetting about the votes in favour of Gretna prior to our taking over of Clydebank (conveniently forgetting they were £180k in debt and in administration), not seeing the irony and funny side of the Trump flag, claiming more racism by the fans (facts please?) etc...etc..

Edited by Diamonds Are Red

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

Not taking any accusations of being racist/right-wing/far right from *Hearts* fans of all clubs. 

Edited by airdrieman

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think pretty much all of those were caretakers and got the job out of good runs (Robson), being the easy option or both, weren’t they? As you say that shouldn’t make them better qualified than someone with a short but successful CV but that’s the way it seems to work.

I think there’s a couple of things with McCabe that clubs might question, rightly or wrongly. Will a bigger club want to take a risk on appointing a 31 year old manager who beyond the first few years of his career hasn’t actually played much above Scottish Championship level. This is more on McCabe’s (and Fordyce’s I suppose) end but when will they be ready to give up playing? McCabe knows when to take himself out the team but he’s currently playing a vital role in the team and Fordyce just loves defending and I can’t imagine he’s keen to stop playing anytime soon.

Clubs will certainly have their eye on him but I do find it hard to tell when they’ll move on. It’s quite a unique situation these days, not much we can use as a comparison.

54 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think pretty much all of those were caretakers and got the job out of good runs (Robson), being the easy option or both, weren’t they? As you say that shouldn’t make them better qualified than someone with a short but successful CV but that’s the way it seems to work.

I think there’s a couple of things with McCabe that clubs might question, rightly or wrongly. Will a bigger club want to take a risk on appointing a 31 year old manager who beyond the first few years of his career hasn’t actually played much above Scottish Championship level. This is more on McCabe’s (and Fordyce’s I suppose) end but when will they be ready to give up playing? McCabe knows when to take himself out the team but he’s currently playing a vital role in the team and Fordyce just loves defending and I can’t imagine he’s keen to stop playing anytime soon.

Clubs will certainly have their eye on him but I do find it hard to tell when they’ll move on. It’s quite a unique situation these days, not much we can use as a comparison.

Realistically neither of McCabe and Fordyce would keep playing if they moved to a Premiership club, so an upward move out the league means retirement. As you say I can't see them doing that yet, therefore a move to another Championship club would be the only option for them if they wanted to keep playing whilst managing. I can't see Goodwin, Doolan or Murray being sacked anytime soon and moving to anyone else would be idiotic at this point. 

I think the best case scenario for both parties is that we consolidate in the league this year, and then manage to push on next year and challenge for play-offs (I know we are currently 4th but we aren't that many points off the bottom and I think everyone's priority is to stay in the league). I think 3 years of steady progression with limited resources would see him get some decent job offers in the Premiership or down south and he'd move on. By that time he'd be almost 33 and nearing retirement anyway. That's assuming that this season and next keeps going well which you never know, although ironically the best chance of him staying for a while is probably if results take a turn for the worse.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

Holy crap!   I honestly thought most Jambos were decent - maybe it’s just that thread but the talk on there was well out of order! I personally know a few Hearts fans who are pleased with the draw, plan on attending and are confident but realize this is a potential banana skin.  Think that other lot are expecting a bunch of mutants and a 10-0 result.   Hope it isn’t on the telly, bring them all through to see their team get horsed out of the cup 

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

The Premier is just a massive clique, as you say St Johnstone appointed McLean a total disaster , everybody knew it,  same with Motherwell when they appointed Hammell and Ross County the same with that maniac Adams..   They seem so ingrained in just getting the money, I would like to see those chairmen try and make their club competitive on 100k prize money a season, that we had to do for years in League 1.

Appointing guys who have never managed in the division before is surely the absolute opposite of a "clique"?

One sure sign that we are becoming relevant again is the higher level of clubs doing their Airdrie Bingo insults thinking they are wildly witty and original. For the first cycle of games of this season we had the mouth breathers from the championship clubs giving it the big "yOuS UR JuST clyDeBAnk" and "NaZIs" insults without a hint of self awareness and now it's the cup forum, premier league thread and places like kickback.

The tika taka beastie boys are back.

On 21/01/2024 at 21:52, weigh cider said:

When we reached our last 2 cup finals we beat a certain team (Hearts) on the way in the semi - finals.
Can lightning strike 3 times??

Are  the stars aligning for a cup win 100 years on. Where’s Mystic Meg when you need her!!😂😂😂

C’mon the ♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

Said similar to this when the draw was made 😆

Screenshot_20240123-095940.png.094eb80ef84b8d5f30f43f171f6e8f1a.png

On 21/01/2024 at 20:52, weigh cider said:

Fancy our chances in this one if we play to our full potential. Would be nice to have everyone fit by then (Ballantyne ?  and Aiken) excluded.

When we reached our last 2 cup finals we beat a certain team (Hearts) on the way in the semi - finals.
Can lightning strike 3 times??

Are  the stars aligning for a cup win 100 years on. Where’s Mystic Meg when you need her!!😂😂😂

C’mon the ♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

59 minutes ago, Daddy Cheeze said:

Said similar to this when the draw was made 😆

Screenshot_20240123-095940.png.094eb80ef84b8d5f30f43f171f6e8f1a.png

We also beat St Johnstone en route to winning it in '24 ;) 

9 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

One sure sign that we are becoming relevant again is the higher level of clubs doing their Airdrie Bingo insults thinking they are wildly witty and original. For the first cycle of games of this season we had the mouth breathers from the championship clubs giving it the big "yOuS UR JuST clyDeBAnk" and "NaZIs" insults without a hint of self awareness and now it's the cup forum, premier league thread and places like kickback.

The tika taka beastie boys are back.

Tila taka beastie boys made me laugh 

Maybe in the minority but that is a dreadful time for a game of football. Would rather it have been Saturday at 3:00 and left off the tv. The good thing is being at home and not through in Edinburgh and I know we don’t get a say but the only good thing about that was it wasn’t Monday evening. 

2 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Maybe in the minority but that is a dreadful time for a game of football. Would rather it have been Saturday at 3:00 and left off the tv. The good thing is being at home and not through in Edinburgh and I know we don’t get a say but the only good thing about that was it wasn’t Monday evening. 

A lot of holiday Monday,'s,