Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I see a few clubs are acting now and giving managers new deals, for me I still think that the most important bit of business we can do this month is tying down Rhys & Dycey to another year or two’s deal.

Does anyone know when their contracts are up as the club rarely specify anyone's contract length. 

Having said that our Chairman is obviously financially astute therefore I would expect talks would have already taken place but can he match the Manager's ambition? Definitely not long term but hopefully until the end of 25 or 26.

If O’Connor doesn’t start tomorrow he never will. Agree that he’s offered very little and I can’t say I’d expect much from him if he does start but it’ll be awful for his confidence if McGregor starts over him out of position or if the shape that’s been working is changed purely to avoid starting him. I feel O’Connor’s in a similar place as McGregor was last season where you can see he has pace but he doesn’t appear to have much else. A run in the team worked wonders for McGregor and it might be the same for O’Connor. I’m not saying I’d be confident of him playing well, or even that he’s earned the chance, but it might be worth giving him a chance by bringing him into a team that’s playing well and getting results when he is the obvious replacement given the fitness issues that others have.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

If O’Connor doesn’t start tomorrow he never will. Agree that he’s offered very little and I can’t say I’d expect much from him if he does start but it’ll be awful for his confidence if McGregor starts over him out of position or if the shape that’s been working is changed purely to avoid starting him. I feel O’Connor’s in a similar place as McGregor was last season where you can see he has pace but he doesn’t appear to have much else. A run in the team worked wonders for McGregor and it might be the same for O’Connor. I’m not saying I’d be confident of him playing well, or even that he’s earned the chance, but it might be worth giving him a chance by bringing him into a team that’s playing well and getting results when he is the obvious replacement given the fitness issues that others have.

Couldn't agree more especially as I'm not convinced that McGregor has looked 100% fit either since his return from injury.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Does anyone know when their contracts are up as the club rarely specify anyone's contract length. 

The official news item on the club website only states “Player-manager Rhys McCabe and player-assistant manager Callum Fordyce remain contracted to the club for season 2023/24”, which is what gives me the fear.

4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I wonder if Lyall can play upfront? Might be worth a go if he can. Do understand your logic. Gabby’s pressing and link-up play have been essential parts in getting us up the park and enabling our recent winning run. But, even if O’Connor can press the defence well with his pace, I just don't think he’s anywhere near technically good enough to start games upfront atm with every point being a prisoner. I don’t think McGregor is good enough at centre forward either FWIW. 

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I wonder if Lyall can play upfront? Might be worth a go if he can. Do understand your logic. Gabby’s pressing and link-up play have been essential parts in getting us up the park and enabling our recent winning run. But, even if O’Connor can press the defence well with his pace, I just don't think he’s anywhere near technically good enough to start games upfront atm with every point being a prisoner. I don’t think McGregor is good enough at centre forward either FWIW. 

Did say in earlier post about  Lyall ,Connor Smith away to st Johnstone,could have done with him ,

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Did say in earlier post about  Lyall ,Connor Smith away to st Johnstone,could have done with him ,

Lyall did say in his interview that he played up front previously prior to becoming a midfielder, so perhaps.

Connor Smith would have been ok but with Lyall coming in and Aiken due back soon then we're pretty decent for cover in midfield. Still surprised at his move to St Johnstone though, 6th level of English football to the SPL, maybe Derek Adams ain't as mad as he appears.

39 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

The sainties web page has the following quote

“It was Craig Levein who gave me my debut for Hearts when I was only 16 so he knows all about me and what I can do” says Connor.  “I worked with Andy Kirk at Tynecastle as well so having them here has certainly influenced my decision to join Saints.”

Maybe we are better with a happy squad,playing for each other and all that ,

A really impressive performance today given we were without Ballantyne, Aiken, Gallagher, McGill and even Megwa. Generally very solid defensively, Hancock had a poor game compared to his usual standards but it’s a tough role with no winger to protect him, played some decent stuff in midfield and McGregor and Todorov worked hard up front. 

Special mention to Fordyce for saving us in the first half when Adeloye was through on goal and then that tackle at the end. World class. 

Hopefully we get one of the forwards back for next week and maybe even a new signing, as Lyall will be cup-tied which will leave us even shorter.

Us being competitive and holding our own against good teams is as exciting - in a different way - as dishing out 4, 5, 6 goal swordings to diddy teams like Clyde, Peterhead and Falkirk. It's ten years since we've been in this league, but really the best part of twenty since we've been anything other than very poor in it, finishing bottom or second bottom and only staying in because of finincial problems elsewhere. Our three wins on the bounce vs. Queen's Park, Inverness and Raith was the first time we've done that in this division since Sandy Stewart was manager!

Holding our own, going toe-to-toe with teams with much bigger budgets and man-for-man much stronger squads is really exciting. Look at the quality Thistle were able to bring on from the bench today, never mind the quality in their first XI, and compare that to our squad. I don't think many of our regular starters would get a regular game for any other team in the top half of this division, but as a team, and working within the system Rhys has created, they are a match for anyone, and having nothing to fear from anyone. The players deserve immense credit for their effort and understanding of their roles, and McCabe and the coaching staff deserve immense credit for making this team - young and cheaply-assembled - so much more than the sum of its parts.

Been a very enjoyable few weeks playing some good sides at home and getting good results against all of them. It's clear that at home we are a match for anyone.

Looking ahead, the next challenge for this team is to improve our away form. We are 2nd in the league on home form, but 10th on away form. We only have 6 home games left compared to 9 away and our next league game is also a home game to Ayr - so 9 of our last 14 games are away from home. Therefore it's going to be a long slog to May if we don't improve on our away form, which so far has been dreadful. I'm confident that we'll continue to win or draw our home games which alone should be enough to avoid 9th or 10th. But if we want to look any higher we'll need to start beating teams around us away from home.

9 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Been a very enjoyable few weeks playing some good sides at home and getting good results against all of them. It's clear that at home we are a match for anyone.

Looking ahead, the next challenge for this team is to improve our away form. We are 2nd in the league on home form, but 10th on away form. We only have 6 home games left compared to 9 away and our next league game is also a home game to Ayr - so 9 of our last 14 games are away from home. Therefore it's going to be a long slog to May if we don't improve on our away form, which so far has been dreadful. I'm confident that we'll continue to win or draw our home games which alone should be enough to avoid 9th or 10th. But if we want to look any higher we'll need to start beating teams around us away from home.

This is definitely true but I’m intrigued to see how we get on away from home now that our style is a bit more direct and we’re more keen on crossing. Obviously a lot of our goals have been set-pieces recently, which is great but we do still need to start scoring from open play more often, and there is still that doubt of what do we do when we concede first. 

Looking at the away games so far, Arbroath was the only major disaster, though the two goals at the end and the manner of them perhaps make that one seem worse. The first half at Raith was one of our best performances this season, while the second half at Queen’s Park was great and we did fine at Morton. Dunfermline away was ok in spells but everything else has been lots of sideways possession after conceding an early goal without actually doing much (Dundee United, Inverness, Ayr, Partick Thistle). I suppose it all comes back to getting the first goal, which seems to be very important for this team.

Edited by Mr November

49 minutes ago, Mr November said:

This is definitely true but I’m intrigued to see how we get on away from home now that our style is a bit more direct and we’re more keen on crossing. Obviously a lot of our goals have been set-pieces recently, which is great but we do still need to start scoring from open play more often, and there is still that doubt of what do we do when we concede first. 

Looking at the away games so far, Arbroath was the only major disaster, though the two goals at the end and the manner of them perhaps make that one seem worse. The first half at Raith was one of our best performances this season, while the second half at Queen’s Park was great and we did fine at Morton. Dunfermline away was ok in spells but everything else has been lots of sideways possession after conceding an early goal without actually doing much (Dundee United, Inverness, Ayr, Partick Thistle). I suppose it all comes back to getting the first goal, which seems to be very important for this team.

In the Arbroath game we scored a perfectly good goal at 0-0 which was disallowed which would have totally changed the game, that doesn't excuse losing 4 goals afterwards but it was still unlucky and given how we perform when we score first I think we'd have got something from it.

It's still another month until an away league game (depending on rearranged games) so hopefully we have more players back then too. We do seem a bit more solid and streetwise at the moment so hopefully that changes our fortunes a bit away from home.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

I've still got one eye on the bottom 2 places of the table even though I do believe It's virtually impossible for Arbroath to finish out of the bottom 2. Two free hits coming up and wins would be great confidence boosters but ultimately our next 2 league games, Ayr (H) & Morton (A) are much more important and will go a long way to securing 8th place.

We're in a decent place but I still would like to see us signing a mobile centre forward as it would add so much to the side and different to what we've got. Perhaps someone in the mould of Jermaine Hylton until the season end might be realistic.

Watson motm for me yesterday, think it was possibly his best performance in an Airdrie shirt.

Draw probably a fair result but both sides had their chances to win. At times a very frantic and exciting match, but all became a bit stop-start in the second half. Obviously we were without Gallagher and McGill today but it definitely feels like we lacked someone capable of coming off the bench to make a difference. Would love to see another forward in before the window shuts.

Thought McGregor done really well yesterday. Hasn’t played much for weeks and came back in playing out of position and while he didn’t so anything spectacular he caused a lot of problems and even won a few headers. Didn’t really seem a downgrade on McGill (based on this season’s McGill rather than last season’s)

15 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It's ten years since we've been in this league, but really the best part of twenty since we've been anything other than very poor in it, finishing bottom or second bottom and only staying in because of finincial problems elsewhere.

This is a fantastic point and one that I think is so often lost. In my 25 years as an Airdrie fan I can’t really remember a time when we were competitive in this Division, yet we have fans not happy because we’ve fallen out of fourth place in the table. 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Two free hits coming up and wins would be great confidence boosters but ultimately our next 2 league games, Ayr (H) & Morton (A) are much more important and will go a long way to securing 8th place.

The flip side of us being competitive in this league is that I can’t remember a time when this league was so competitive. It’s been said before but a run of two or three poor results can drag us right back in to the myre again, but if we were to win these two we’ll be well on the road to guaranteed safety. In my mind I was thinking that ~32 points would be the mark to stay up, but seeing how things are set I think realistically we need to be looking at ~38-40 now. It’s all very well set up for an exciting second half of the campaign.

47 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Watson motm for me yesterday, think it was possibly his best performance in an Airdrie shirt.

Agreed on this. I thought Watson was outstanding yesterday. Fitzpatrick tore us apart down that side at Firhill but Watson kept him very quiet and was a threat in both boxes. It was the perfect game for him really, a real mix of two teams showing bits of quality in between lots of physicality and aggression.