Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

4 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

It really feels like the 2010's were a lost decade, you really notice it being in the championship

We were well established, League 1, part-time mid-table/relegation fodder for at least 5 years. The club have done remarkably well to turn the tide to get to where we are now where the grumbles and moans are more about not 'kicking-on' from a 4th placed Championship finish rather than avoiding relegation to League 2. Last year and this morning when the fixtures have come out I have had a quick glance at the League 1 fixtures and I'm extra grateful for not still being there!

45 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

It really feels like the 2010's were a lost decade, you really notice it being in the championship

Rudderless is how I’d describe it. Meandering from the Ballantyne era where it was mostly surviving hand to mouth and existence was threatened numerous times, to the Wotherspoon era which promised so so much and fizzled out after the honeymoon period which became bad choice after bad choice (think Hugo Faria, Kevin McBride, Mark Wilson, Gordon Dalziel, EWB…). We had the resistance against McGowan/Zengin (who now are in charge at Accies and splashing lots of cash) to where we are now, and even the success of PH and the board haven’t been without toil… but to be fair they got us back to where we wanted to be.

Gal’s goal was momentous as others have described, as a sliding doors moment which gave us belief. I’d also say that was one of Gal’s defining moments with us too… yes he could pop up with an overhead kick from 18 yards, or a 50-yard run/pirouette/finish but he was also so capable around the box.

EDIT: speaking of meandering, I guess what I’m getting at is that our zig zagging shows how cyclical football is, and we need to enjoy it whilst we have it. The cycles are too short to be wanting Fordyce removed from the hall of fame or demanding we pay Charlie Telfer more money.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

Is that us now upto 20 players we've had on the Consilium list now?😂

Jackie and Co must be having a great laugh dragging out the Ben Wilson signing, even signing a boy who is a striker with a similarish haircut so everyone thinks it's him in the background.

Top trolling 10/10 😂

15 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Is that us now upto 20 players we've had on the Consilium list now?😂

Jackie and Co must be having a great laugh dragging out the Ben Wilson signing, even signing a boy who is a striker with a similarish haircut so everyone thinks it's him in the background.

Top trolling 10/10 😂

Wilson to old you think ,

Cooper was one of those kids that was really highly rated in Thistle's academy so naturally Rangers came in and signed him when he was about 15, think he only lasted a year there though. At 18 still plenty of potential you'd think

On 30/06/2023 at 22:46, Mr November said:

Was having a look at the Consilium list again and Ben Wilson, a young Northern Irish forward, appears to be out of contract at Brighton tomorrow. He’s already 21 too which makes him a veteran.

Love how predictable our signings are, almost a year in advance, and @David Fernández had mentioned him in a list of Consilium players even before that!

I had heard a wee whisper a few weeks ago we had asked the question to the boy that played up front for The New Saints, Brad Young, come up and put himself in the shop window but it's obviously came to nothing and I doubt it even more now with the new additions.