Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

14 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I had heard a wee whisper a few weeks ago we had asked the question to the boy that played up front for The New Saints, Brad Young, come up and put himself in the shop window but it's obviously came to nothing and I doubt it even more now with the new additions.

Still think we could do with another forward as ‘Reidy’ and Cooper are total unknowns and we’ve lost 21 goals from a team that probably still didn’t score enough last season. But I doubt we’d come close to matching his TNS wage. 

Really pleased with the Wilson signing. Hard to truly know the comparison between the Northern Irish Premier and the Championship. But in terms of a proven and in form goal scorer, he must be about as good as we can get. Good bit of intent and ambition from the club as I’m sure he would have had other suitors. 

Squad shaping up very nicely, fairplay to the board for first of all getting McCabe signed up and then clearly backing him this summer. 
For us to have a squad of 22 players and it’s not even July yet is bonkers, would say we only really need another centre half and a backup goalie and we’re good to go. Exciting season ahead, good to see that we’re pushing for the top end of the league and not just here to make up the numbers.

I don't get why more clubs at this level don't supplement their squad with 17/18/19 year olds like McCabe does with a view to them developing and taking on bigger roles within the first team in a season or two. As opposed to what many do and fritter away large amounts of money on fruitless youth setups then living year to year having to pick up more expensive veteran players to get by who are also not going to have any sellable value. 

23 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

I don't get why more clubs at this level don't supplement their squad with 17/18/19 year olds like McCabe does with a view to them developing and taking on bigger roles within the first team in a season or two. As opposed to what many do and fritter away large amounts of money on fruitless youth setups then living year to year having to pick up more expensive veteran players to get by who are also not going to have any sellable value. 

I agree regarding youth setups, the youth system is so saturated now that it's near impossible for a club like us to get youngsters who will be good enough because anyone who is any good is at the bigger clubs. Picking up players who have gone through the system with someone else but not quite made the grade like Devenney and McMaster is definitely the best way to go.

But to answer your question, it's still pretty high risk because you are signing players with no proven pedigree at that level. We need to take this strategy because we can't compete if it comes down to purely finances. If you are Raith, Partick etc you are better going for the proven players.

Our squad so far ♦️

GK - Muzz, Melrose (backup), Hutton (backup),                            

RB - Agyeman, McDonald (back up), Rowley (back up) 
RCB - Watson, McCabe (back up)                             LCB - Wilson, ATS (back up)                                          LB - Hancock, Bruce (back up).                            

CM - McMaster, Gallagher (back up)                     
CM - Aitken, Armstrong (back up)                              
CAM - Frizzell, McGrattan (back up), McStravick (injured), Dunlop (back up),              

ST - Todorov, Cooper (back up),                          ST- Wilson, Reid (back up),  McGregor (back up).

So far a squad of 25 (including Hutts, McCabe and ATS) which in June is unbelievable tbh. A lot of youth in the squad and players who have never played Championship football but will be interesting to see how the players adapt to this league. I trust McCabe’s judgement and I’ve been told to watch out for Armstrong, Wilson and Bruce. Expecting there will be a few trialists at the game on Saturday so potentially even more in the door. Don’t think we need much more tbh, 1 or 2 more CBs and maybe another ST. Looking forward to next season already and it’s good to see the board are really backing McCabe. Fingers crossed for play offs again this season 🤞🏻♦️

15 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Still think we could do with another forward as ‘Reidy’ and Cooper are total unknowns and we’ve lost 21 goals from a team that probably still didn’t score enough last season. But I doubt we’d come close to matching his TNS wage. 

Rhys did class Cooper as a "longer-term project" which suggests he won't see much 1st team action unless we have an injury crisis or he improves at a faster rate than is expected.

14 hours ago, AirdrieDaft77 said:

Our squad so far ♦️

GK - Muzz, Melrose (backup), Hutton (backup),                            

RB - Agyeman, McDonald (back up), Rowley (back up) 
RCB - Watson, McCabe (back up)                             LCB - Wilson, ATS (back up)                                          LB - Hancock, Bruce (back up).                            

CM - McMaster, Gallagher (back up)                     
CM - Aitken, Armstrong (back up)                              
CAM - Frizzell, McGrattan (back up), McStravick (injured), Dunlop (back up),              

ST - Todorov, Cooper (back up),                          ST- Wilson, Reid (back up),  McGregor (back up).

So far a squad of 25 (including Hutts, McCabe and ATS) which in June is unbelievable tbh. A lot of youth in the squad and players who have never played Championship football but will be interesting to see how the players adapt to this league. I trust McCabe’s judgement and I’ve been told to watch out for Armstrong, Wilson and Bruce. Expecting there will be a few trialists at the game on Saturday so potentially even more in the door. Don’t think we need much more tbh, 1 or 2 more CBs and maybe another ST. Looking forward to next season already and it’s good to see the board are really backing McCabe. Fingers crossed for play offs again this season 🤞🏻♦️

Would be good to get another centre back, dont think ATS will play much this season, looking at that we also need to keep Hancock. Good to get players in early including loans and certainly an interesting squad.

16 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Squad shaping up very nicely, fairplay to the board for first of all getting McCabe signed up and then clearly backing him this summer. 
For us to have a squad of 22 players and it’s not even July yet is bonkers, would say we only really need another centre half and a backup goalie and we’re good to go. Exciting season ahead, good to see that we’re pushing for the top end of the league and not just here to make up the numbers.

It's been a crazy couple of weeks signing wise,  in all honesty I cannot see much more incomings, perhaps a young project Centre half,  and with Melrose and Prunty progressing a back up keeper role makes sense for them....

We bang the drum about lowest budgets etc,  but if you are running with a squad around 25 players then it doesn't add up..

Looking forward to the Rovers tomorrow,  think Ben and young Rhys are ineligible due to still being under contract with previous clubs, could be wrong though

59 minutes ago, Passionate said:

It's been a crazy couple of weeks signing wise,  in all honesty I cannot see much more incomings, perhaps a young project Centre half,  and with Melrose and Prunty progressing a back up keeper role makes sense for them....

We bang the drum about lowest budgets etc,  but if you are running with a squad around 25 players then it doesn't add up..

Looking forward to the Rovers tomorrow,  think Ben and young Rhys are ineligible due to still being under contract with previous clubs, could be wrong though

Had thought this as well and that’s obviously the reason they still aren’t on our squad list on the website, but are there any eligibility rules for playing in a friendly? They’re training with us and there’d be no issue with us playing unnamed trialists so I don’t see why they couldn’t play?

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

It's not 25 established first team players though. Melrose, Rowley, Cooper, Dunlop and Reid will be bench filler unless they make huge improvements. 3 of the squad are also management therefore their salaries partly come out of management budget rather than players, so we make big savings there. And 3 loanees where we may only be paying a portion of their salary.

And in general, it's a very young squad with guys like Armstrong, Bruce, McGregor, Gallagher, McDonald - I can't see these guys being on massive wages. I'd say we have about 7-8 players who will be getting a decent Championship wage and probably only Frizzell who is earning above the league average. I'd imagine there is still a bit of money for a couple more established first team players quite easily.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's not 25 established first team players though. Melrose, Rowley, Cooper, Dunlop and Reid will be bench filler unless they make huge improvements. 3 of the squad are also management therefore their salaries partly come out of management budget rather than players, so we make big savings there. And 3 loanees where we may only be paying a portion of their salary.

And in general, it's a very young squad with guys like Armstrong, Bruce, McGregor, Gallagher, McDonald - I can't see these guys being on massive wages. I'd say we have about 7-8 players who will be getting a decent Championship wage and probably only Frizzell who is earning above the league average. I'd imagine there is still a bit of money for a couple more established first team players quite easily.

Spot on.

We only have a senior squad of 23 as Hutts and Melrose are not listed as part of the senior squad on the club website. Could probably add ATS to @Diamonds are Forever list of bench fillers as well.

A centre back would be the priority as whilst Watson, McCabe & ATS can play there Wilson is our only "real" one and any injury would leave us short. I expect him to do well but he is still an unknown at this level.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Tbf I think we only really need a centre back. Anything else would be a bit pointless given the size of the squad already.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Tbf I think we only really need a centre back. Anything else would be a bit pointless given the size of the squad already.

Definitely the priority, along with a backup keeper, but I’d like to see us still bring in another forward since Cooper and Reid and both young and unproven, ideally someone who can play out wide like Smith and McGill did for us.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Spot on.

We only have a senior squad of 23 as Hutts and Melrose are not listed as part of the senior squad on the club website. Could probably add ATS to @Diamonds are Forever list of bench fillers as well.

A centre back would be the priority as whilst Watson, McCabe & ATS can play there Wilson is our only "real" one and any injury would leave us short. I expect him to do well but he is still an unknown at this level.

Yip, looking through the list I'd say we have 15 players who would expect to be starting when fit. Of that, McStravick is longer term injured, one is the manager (which would be a separate budget in every other club) and 2 are McMaster and Hancock who may not even be here much longer. Plus as mentioned most of them will not be high earners by Championship standards. The rest are untried youngsters who'll be on peanuts.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

In terms of realistic starters who are good enough to start every week I'm not convinced the squad is that big at all. Obviously without seeing the younger guys play it's hard to say but from how McCabe describes them and their profiles they look to be young guys who'll maybe get a few minutes off the bench. McStravick is still out for what sounds like a while, and there's chat of Hancock and McMaster going.

We'd have enough players to fill jerseys obviously but that's not the same as having players who can play at the level we need regularly.

What’s with the common assumption that Lamie is signing for us? As much as it would be a welcome addition in an area that we need to recruit it just doesn’t seem like our kind of signing.