Premiership - new strips 2023/24.

Making a comment in a New Strips thread is an interesting one for a St Mirren fan. We seem to fluctuate between eye-gauging travesties like the JD Sports boke-inducing tops, to the totally glorious, and almost visual orgasm inducing beauty that is our (now, last season) away top. You'd think that black and stripes must be the easiest thing to do on a top, but yeah... let's see what Macron do. Anything, and I am not lying here, anything would be better that that awful JD Sports design.

It's all personal opinion of course, but for me the OF, St Johnstone, Ross County and Aberdeen ones I am going to be automatically disposed to disliking. it seems like zero effort is ever given to them, and on the rare occasion they push out the boat, it'll look horrendous. We await the farmers and Celtic; Rangers Aberdeen and County have, however, shown they are following the same dull as dishwater tradition.

I dislike Dundee's top because of the tartan. It looks stupid and I always feel tartan on a strip is low class nonsense, pandering to the Primark crowd, that includes our international strips, where there is at least some level of relevance for it being there, but it looks cheap af. The side flashes of the Dundee strip looks like the player is wearing a 1970's flannel pyjamas underneath. Without it, I think it would be a decent enough top.

Killie's top is OK, but the collar is beyond daft. I presume it can be unbuttoned and in turn most, if not all, will be wearing it like that. Buttoned up that collar looks comically bad and you wonder how it passed the standard "does this look shit" test.

Not sold on the Hibs one, but I can see where they are going with it. There is a certain retro look, but I don't like the horizontal stripes, and having an alcohol sponsor is a shit move - although the days of strips without some c**t's name on the front is long gone (sadly).

I fully expect ours to not be up to recent standards, the last couple of years have seen us step up after so obviously shitting the bad with the JD Sports stuff, so if Macron manage to put out a very basic black and white striped home top and a simple black or red away number I'll be happy, because I've genuinely got the fear we'll do something stupid after last year's beauty.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Making a comment in a New Strips thread is an interesting one for a St Mirren fan. We seem to fluctuate between eye-gauging travesties like the JD Sports boke-inducing tops, to the totally glorious, and almost visual orgasm inducing beauty that is our (now, last season) away top. You'd think that black and stripes must be the easiest thing to do on a top, but yeah... let's see what Macron do. Anything, and I am not lying here, anything would be better that that awful JD Sports design.

It's all personal opinion of course, but for me the OF, St Johnstone, Ross County and Aberdeen ones I am going to be automatically disposed to disliking. it seems like zero effort is ever given to them, and on the rare occasion they push out the boat, it'll look horrendous. We await the farmers and Celtic; Rangers Aberdeen and County have, however, shown they are following the same dull as dishwater tradition.

I dislike Dundee's top because of the tartan. It looks stupid and I always feel tartan on a strip is low class nonsense, pandering to the Primark crowd, that includes our international strips, where there is at least some level of relevance for it being there, but it looks cheap af. The side flashes of the Dundee strip looks like the player is wearing a 1970's flannel pyjamas underneath. Without it, I think it would be a decent enough top.

Killie's top is OK, but the collar is beyond daft. I presume it can be unbuttoned and in turn most, if not all, will be wearing it like that. Buttoned up that collar looks comically bad and you wonder how it passed the standard "does this look shit" test.

Not sold on the Hibs one, but I can see where they are going with it. There is a certain retro look, but I don't like the horizontal stripes, and having an alcohol sponsor is a shit move - although the days of strips without some c**t's name on the front is long gone (sadly).

I fully expect ours to not be up to recent standards, the last couple of years have seen us step up after so obviously shitting the bad with the JD Sports stuff, so if Macron manage to put out a very basic black and white striped home top and a simple black or red away number I'll be happy, because I've genuinely got the fear we'll do something stupid after last year's beauty.

The tartan in the Dundee top is a link up with the V&A tartan exhibition, so I can forgive them for the logic.  It does reduce a fantastic top to just a decent one for me though.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

St.Mirren has been wearing the black and white stripes for longer than any other football team in the world 

34 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

The tartan in the Dundee top is a link up with the V&A tartan exhibition, so I can forgive them for the logic.  It does reduce a fantastic top to just a decent one for me though.

I suppose that is a fair reason, I do think it's a positive thing to have such a prestigious museum have a presence in a provincial city. Also the V&A have seemingly seen the light and are apparently pro-active with repatriation of the colonial artefacts. All plusses, imo.

Tartan isn't really Scottish though. It's all part of the Celtic European diaspora, along with things like bagpipes, which were attributed to us by the casually bigoted Walter Scott, with his romanticist "savage natives" ideal about the Highlands. It fitted a narrative for the metropolitan Victorian middle classes, though, so it stuck.

For me it's a mix between aesthetics and history that leads me to dislike tartan, although like everyone I'm a hypocrite and will wear a kilt should the situation need it.

18 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

St.Mirren has been wearing the black and white stripes for longer than any other football team in the world 

Are we sure that is actually true or just one of those things that gets mentioned in threads like this? Our official origin year is 1877, but the club existed (iirc part of the cricket club) before that, however we played in the red and blue horizontal stripes until about the 1880s, and by that time clubs like Notts County were also wearing black and white vertical stripes.

Of course, all that does is say that the black and white stripes is a "classic" and considering we (and others) have been wearing it for over a century, you wouldn't think strip manufacturers would struggle so badly in producing a simple one for us. Yet, they do.

Edited by Ric

27 minutes ago, Ric said:

Are we sure that is actually true or just one of those things that gets mentioned in threads like this? Our official origin year is 1877, but the club existed (iirc part of the cricket club) before that, however we played in the red and blue horizontal stripes until about the 1880s, and by that time clubs like Notts County were also wearing black and white vertical stripes.

Of course, all that does is say that the black and white stripes is a "classic" and considering we (and others) have been wearing it for over a century, you wouldn't think strip manufacturers would struggle so badly in producing a simple one for us. Yet, they do.

According to historicalkits.co.uk, we’ve been wearing the black and white stripes since 1884. Notts County who’d been kicking about since 1860, waited until 1890 before copying us in terms of kit design. 

10 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

According to historicalkits.co.uk, we’ve been wearing the black and white stripes since 1884. Notts County who’d been kicking about since 1860, waited until 1890 before copying us in terms of kit design.

Yeah, I've looked on that site before, although interestingly they cite stmirren.info as their source, which in turn has us switching to vertical stripes in 1894..

Spoiler

pog5MP8.png

..which I have to say, may be the most historically accurate, but I do prefer less stripes.

If you go to wiki, it has this line.. Having first played in black and white vertical stripes in 1884 ..but no sources are cited for this. According to stmirren.info, we were playing in horizontal stripes at the time.

I'm not saying it's not true, and I'm not specifically making the case against. I suppose what I'm looking for is a line that says, "St Mirren wore their new black and white vertical stripes design in a game against <insert club> in <insert year>" and I can cross check whether that game happened.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

Does that claim take account of the years in the 1960s when you didn't?

On 16/06/2023 at 10:34, Fide said:

Not strictly a premier league kit, but since they almost got promoted, i think we can all be allowed a chuckle at the new Partick goalie top. Ooft. 

20230616_103208.thumb.jpg.8bccf09bf2e6cb0a99d742675b4be093.jpg

Matt Bradley called, he wants his top back.

5 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Apologies for again bringing up the already well-covered Dundee home shirt, but I found it funny that the biggest fans of it seem to be Mexicans so far lol.

image.png.ae1243b5cc5139daa79fbb837ad96919.png

That Juan Portales typo’ though in his final comment. The ‘r’ in the third word. No need. Otherwise, perfect English.

Edited by pozbaird

I like the concept of the Aberdeen kit, but the execution isn't quite there, it's even worse when you realise it's a plain black back. Although kudos for trying something different. 

11 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Aberdeen away, The Northern Lights kit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm a sucker for anything to do with the Aurora - so I fucking love that theme (and it feels like a very Burrows type of thing as he loved being hands on with the strips when he was at Fir Park).