Rutherglen Glencairn 2023-24

Rutherglen Glencairn goalkeeper Scott Law has been made available for transfer. Scott made 43 appearances for the club, including the Scottish Junior Cup Final last season. Any interested clubs should contact Willie Harvey (General Manager) or Peter Ferguson (Club Secretary).

Another blow for our promotion aspirations today, and the writing was on the wall after 5 minutes when our goalkeeper Mateusz Miller was red carded. We had to bring on 18-year-old Chris White who only officially joined us on loan yesterday and has had only one training session with the squad. It was no surprise that the first goal conceded came because of a breakdown in communication between our defender and the goalkeeper.

Some results elsewhere went in our favour, but with a third of the season to play we need to start scoring goals again. That's three games in a row without scoring and, to be honest, we've not been scoring enough all season in my opinion.

Cup tie next week, a wee break from league action.

That wasn't worth a red card. Even if it was outside the box (which I doubt), it wasn't a direct goal scoring opportunity with 3 defenders around so should still only have been a yellow.

3 hours ago, Marten said:

That wasn't worth a red card. Even if it was outside the box (which I doubt), it wasn't a direct goal scoring opportunity with 3 defenders around so should still only have been a yellow.

There was only one defender around, but he was in front of the attacker so no idea how the referee could think it was DOGSO. In fact not even sure what offence you would be giving the GK a yellow, can it even be classed as stopping a promising attack when the attacker didn't have possession and the defender would've cleared it?

26 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

There was only one defender around, but he was in front of the attacker so no idea how the referee could think it was DOGSO. In fact not even sure what offence you would be giving the GK a yellow, can it even be classed as stopping a promising attack when the attacker didn't have possession and the defender would've cleared it?

Yeah, 1 defender indeed, that was me mixing things up. :) 

But indeed, no way this was a DOGSO. A yellow can be justified for a deliberate handball, but it's not a red.

The Scottish FA's appeal committee agree with you, Mateusz's red card has been reduced to a yellow. Unfortunately the match can't be replayed, but that's football.

Edited by glensmad

I'm beginning to think our penalty shoot-out win in last season's Scottish Junior Cup semi final was our last ever. That's the three cup competitions we've gone out on penalties this season. We've actually only lost one cup tie over 90 minutes this season, and that was in The Scottish Cup.

Good luck to Craigmark Burntonians in the quarter finals, if your goalkeeper continues to perform like he did today then you've a good chance of going further.

For us it's ten league games left to see where it takes us. It's going to be a big ask to finish in the top three, but it's still possible. I reckon 7 wins would see us in serious contention, but anything less will give us no chance.

At least we're not looking over our shoulders at the drop zone.

Edited by glensmad

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

I'm beginning to think our penalty shoot-out win in last season's Scottish Junior Cup semi final was our last ever. That's the three cup competitions we've gone out on penalties this season. We've actually only lost one cup tie over 90 minutes this season, and that was in The Scottish Cup.

Good luck to Craigmark Burntonians in the quarter finals, if your goalkeeper continues to perform like he did today then you've a good chance of going further.

For us it's ten league games left to see where it takes us. It's going to be a big ask to finish in the top three, but it's still possible. I reckon 7 wins would see us in serious contention, but anything less will give us no chance.

At least we're not looking over our shoulders at the drop zone.

your a realist glensmad first division can suck the blood out of any team, Que Sera, Sera

Our poor run continues, and it's just as well we did so much good work and put so many points on the board early in the season, otherwise we'd have been nervously looking over our shoulders. As it stands, we're twice as far away from the drop zone as we are to promotion (in terms of points), so I don't think we've much to worry about there.

We need to halt this slide quickly though. Away to Johnstone Burgh next week, a team who desperately need wins as well given their incredible levels of investment in the team and the expectations that brings. We can't possibly even start to think of competing with them financially, but it's 11 v 11 on the day, so we'll see what happens.

First up is our friendly v Pollok on Monday night.

That was a big improvement from us today and I felt we were the better team over the 90 minutes. If you'd offered me a draw this morning, given the relative resources of both clubs and our recent form, I"d have happily taken it. But having led for half of the game it was a little disappointing not to hold on for all three points.

But it was a big step in the right direction.

Posted (edited)

Good to get back to winning ways this week after an improved performance last week. We made heavy weather of the second half from 3-1 up v 10 men after 50 minutes, but perhaps that was down to thinking the job had been done. When Neilston pulled it back to 3-2 with 5 minutes to play, we never really looked like conceding again, instead we upped our game and created several chances ourselves and got our vital 4th goal.

So we stay in with an outside chance of promotion, although it's still a big ask. Next week we're away at Ashfield, and then we're away to Kilwinning Rangers. If we come out of those two games with wins then it may get interesting.

Edited by glensmad