LOWLAND LEAGUE - Strongest it's ever been! What's You View?

5 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

Comments like this annoy me. How does their average gate mean it's good for the league. Auchinleck have lost a fair few players. The goalie went to darvel, 1 went to stenny and a few others. Teams will get there on merit not because they have bigger fan bases. 

You obviously have taken it the wrong way, never said bigger fan base would make the league better.
It means a club is in order, has a good average attendance which will always continue and is secure, the committee can work out fairly well what money is coming in from attendances and then with sponsorship etc.. can work out what money goes to management to improve the squad.  Doesn't mean they are going to win anything, just they are in a good footing.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

26 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah I get that, think its hard for any committee/management coming down what to expect unless they did their research on Lowland before they were relegated. 
As I said previously, I'd be surprised at any SPFL2 club who has just been relegated, winning the Lowland league the following season but genuinely would expect them to take stock and then have a good push the following year. 

Am I correct in thinking there was big changes players wise for Cowdenbeath when starting last season, sure it was a totally new team at the start of this season as players left and didn't want to stay and fight in the Lowland or was it the management got rid of players who got them relegated.  I do expect Cowdenbeath to be a lot higher than the season just finished but we can only wait and see.

It was a complete new team bar one player if I remember correctly. Some were offered contracts but refused and others would be just too expensive to keep on.

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah I get that, think its hard for any committee/management coming down what to expect unless they did their research on Lowland before they were relegated. 
As I said previously, I'd be surprised at any SPFL2 club who has just been relegated, winning the Lowland league the following season but genuinely would expect them to take stock and then have a good push the following year. 

Am I correct in thinking there was big changes players wise for Cowdenbeath when starting last season, sure it was a totally new team at the start of this season as players left and didn't want to stay and fight in the Lowland or was it the management got rid of players who got them relegated.  I do expect Cowdenbeath to be a lot higher than the season just finished but we can only wait and see.

Cowden have been a disaster for quite a few years now. Bad managerial appointments and poor player recruitment have rightly seen us relegated down the leagues. None of us were thinking we were Billy Big Baws when we were relegated into the Lowland League. Last season was an all time low as we had no players and a manager with delusions of grandeur who seemed to treat the players with no respect. Hopefully things will be more positive for us this season, with a hungry new manager who understands what is needed in this league. 
I think it will be a strong league with quite a few fighting it out at the upper end. 
It would be good to see a more direct promotion route for those winning the Highland and Lowland league but other nonsense has been concentrated on unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Sparticus said:

What a great league this would have been had it not been destroyed by the b teams.

They’re the dubious guys you invite to the party but cant get them to leave

It is a great league with or without them, Taking away the B name for a minute these 3 young teams are very strong and do enhance the standard of the league BUT, they should not be in the league.  The league without the B teams is still a cracker and very strong league. The only reason why they are in the league is due to GREED from the clubs voting for them.  They supply £120,000 to be shared by 16 clubs so I get it why most vote for them but lets get real, those 16 clubs now know what the SFA/SPFL and the OF want, to get them in the pyramid and feck all teams tier 4 and below.

The league is not destroyed by the B teams, its a bad situation due to greed and at the end of the each season, there HAS TO BE A VOTE to say if the B teams are allowed in the following season, so with clubs mindful of being shafted by the SFA, SPFL and the OF then the clubs can easily vote them out of the Lowland League next season.

The problems that arise with B teams having a weak team one week and a strong teams the next is fecking teams who are going for the league, so some of these teams could be going for the league and then the week they play Rangers or Celtic, the B team could be at their strongest thus the team who has ploughed money into their promotion push could have their whole season ruined by getting beat due to them voting the B teams in.  So any team for example like EK, Tranent who are noticeably ploughing money into their team this season could have made it harder for themselves if they voted for the B teams inclusion in the Lowland this year.

Its a learning process for each club and its the same for relegation issue, I believe and would put a wager on it that if you asked clubs who were previously in the SPFL 2 and now relegated to the Lowland to have a vote on full relegation or no relegation from the SPFL2, I think they would all turn and vote for full relegation out of the SPFL2.

No matter what without doubt in my mind this season coming 23/24 is the strongest the Lowland League has every been and I intend to go to a few games again this season

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

18 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I will go as far as to say that this is without doubt the strongest the Lowland League has ever been, with teams spending trying to win the league to get that playoff spot against the Highland winners and then hopefully if successful the playoff against Club 42.

When you look back at each year since its inception, the league has always been weak but now when you are looking at it the only ones I can see fighting relegation is Edinburgh Uni and Gretna. I'm thinking the likes to Cowdenbeath, Berwick, East Stirlingshire, having been in this league either a season or a couple of seasons, should now be settled and know what is required to get out of the Lowland League. With Tranent and East Kilbride all making a push via good quality players, every other team is seeing this and know they have to push on.

I'm stating this year, the league is the strongest even without the B teams in the league but no mater what your views are they make the league even tougher for the eventual winner.  I can't see the Lowland league becoming weaker for a long time with quality teams from the EOSFL and WOSFL wanting promotion to the League

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

1 Albion Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification for the Pyramid play-off
2 Berwick Rangers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
3 Bo'ness United 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Broomhill 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 Caledonian Braves 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
6 Celtic B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
7 Civil Service Strollers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
8 Cowdenbeath 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9 Cumbernauld Colts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10 East Kilbride 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
11 East Stirlingshire 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Edinburgh University 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
13 Gala Fairydean Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
14 Gretna 2008 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Heart of Midlothian B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
16 Linlithgow Rose 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
17 Rangers B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ineligible for promotion or relegation
18 Tranent Juniors 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Possible relegation to Teir 6
19 University of Stirling 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
First match(es) will be played in July 2023. Source: 

Just to clarify, clubs are spending to get through to the playoff spot.

They could come 4th behind the B teams.

Winning the league is a separate matter.

17 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah 100% agree

Think Pollok's and Auchinleck's average crowd is somewhere near 600 so the fan base are there for them to reach the Lowland or even higher

You think Talbot and/or others from Banjo Country genuinely want to leave the Wosfl?

4 hours ago, Sparticus said:

What a great league this would have been had it not been destroyed by the b teams.

They’re the dubious guys you invite to the party but cant get them to leave

Not only did some of the LL clubs vote for B teams but happily boasted about it.

15 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I can’t remember any SPFL team and their fans coming down thinking they would do well and come back straight away.  It’s another nonsensical generalisation along with the teams that go up are always ambitious whilst those coming down have been SPFL dead wood for years.  Just lazy stereotyping

I agree with you with the exception of east stirlingshire. There fans were sure they were going back up in first season. And they were more than happy to tell us all on here at the time. Was all good fun though.

Agree, it's gonna be a great league. Wish they could just tinker it and get rid of the B teams and get rid of the playoff for 42nd team. Also still waiting on the super duper WoSL teams that were going to romp up the pyramid. Do they want to go up or quite happy where they are?

13 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

Also still waiting on the super duper WoSL teams that were going to romp up the pyramid. Do they want to go up or quite happy where they are?

Like a group of misers going for a pint, nobody want to go through the LL door first. What would the likes of Talbot gain playing Caley Braves in a league game in December?

Teams like Clydebank who'd like to be in the same league as the Glasgow Giants don't has the money or firepower to take out the old pit villages in Banjo Country.

18 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Like a group of misers going for a pint, nobody want to go through the LL door first. What would the likes of Talbot gain playing Caley Braves in a league game in December?

Teams like Clydebank who'd like to be in the same league as the Glasgow Giants don't has the money or firepower to take out the old pit villages in Banjo Country.

They would gain 3 points the same as everyone else, regardless which month of the year it is. 👍🏻

30 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Thomas Collins and Calum Graham in for next season….   

Given that the LL was crap from inception with a load of made up teams, promotion and relegation has made it more competitive but not sure that equates to stronger. It's like the WoSFL Division 4. It will be more competitive now with 16 teams but it's still the bottom tier.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Given that the LL was crap from inception with a load of made up teams, promotion and relegation has made it more competitive but not sure that equates to stronger. It's like the WoSFL Division 4. It will be more competitive now with 16 teams but it's still the bottom tier.

What do you mean by “made up teams”? Every team in existence was made up at some point, it’s how you start.

12 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

What do you mean by “made up teams”? Every team in existence was made up at some point, it’s how you start.

Caledonian Braves, Broomhill, Cumbernauld Colts and uni teams. Friends and family going to the games. In fairness there are plenty in the WoSFL now too but at least they're at the correct level,

Edited by jimbaxters
there, their, they're

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Caledonian Braves, Broomhill, Cumbernauld Colts and uni teams. Friends and family going to the games. In fairness there are plenty in the WoSFL now too but at least they're at the correct level,

They are all at that level because they got in when the juniors were arguing about the price of toilets etc. None of them have been relegated so I would suggest they are at the right level.

it should be added that none of the 3 clubs mentioned were in the first season of the LL, so there was ample opportunity for other teams to apply.

Edited by Pyramid Watcher