2023-24 Challenge Cup

Buckets

That’s the dates and format confirmed now. https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-trust-trophy-202324

Same as last year with 2 Welsh league and Nifl clubs competing. It’s Coleraine and Cliftonville the highest ranked nifl teams not in Europe, and then 1st and league cup winners from the Welsh league. Bit surprised it’s not the top teams from the Nifl, given the reaction to the competition has been quite positive and the prize money is increasing.

Only 11 B teams, presumably Ross County not entering again, and the top 4 from the Highland and Lowland League (no invite for Cowdenbeath this time).

Edited by Buckets

• 3 weeks later...

FIRST-ROUND DRAW - Ties to be played August 1/2

North Section
Elgin City v St Johnstone B
Hibernian B v Formartine United
Brora Rangers v Aberdeen B
Dundee B v Buckie Thistle
Brechin City v Heart of Midlothian B

South Section
University of Stirling v Livingston B
St Mirren B v Albion Rovers
Tranent v Motherwell B
Celtic B v East Kilbride
The Spartans v Rangers B
Kilmarnock B v Bonnyrigg Rose

SECOND-ROUND DRAW - Ties to be played August 15/16

North Section
Brechin City or Heart of Midlothian B v Hibernian B or Formartine United
Elgin City or St Johnstone B v Forfar Athletic
Brora Rangers or Aberdeen B v Peterhead
Dundee B or Buckie Thistle v East Fife

South Section
Kilmarnock B or Bonnyrigg Rose v Dumbarton
Clyde v University of Stirling or Livingston B
Annan Athletic v Stranraer
Stirling Albion v Celtic B or East Kilbride
St Mirren B or Albion Rovers v Tranent or Motherwell B
Stenhousemuir v The Spartans or Rangers B

Was it explained how they arrived at these regional groupings - in particular how the Northern 'half' in R2 ended up with 13 clubs in just 4 ties, while the Southern 'half' ended up with 18 clubs across 6 ties?

Allowing for Ross County withdrawal you can see how R1 was done: you've got the 5 most northerly B teams and 5 most northerly actual clubs; ditto the 6 most southerly. (Of course this gives the absurdity of Hearts B and Hibs being 'north' whilst Spartans - who Hearts B actually groundshare with - are simultaneously 'south'... but such has happened before).

However this seems to have been abandoned in R2 with only 3 actual clubs added to north against 6 in south. Why were Stenhousemuir and Stirling Albion not placed in North half - i.e. to give 5 ties in each.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Was it explained how they arrived at these regional groupings - in particular how the Northern 'half' in R2 ended up with 13 clubs in just 4 ties, while the Southern 'half' ended up with 18 clubs across 6 ties?

Allowing for Ross County withdrawal you can see how R1 was done: you've got the 5 most northerly B teams and 5 most northerly actual clubs; ditto the 6 most southerly. (Of course this gives the absurdity of Hearts B and Hibs being 'north' whilst Spartans - who Hearts B actually groundshare with - are simultaneously 'south'... but such has happened before).

However this seems to have been abandoned in R2 with only 3 actual clubs added to north against 6 in south. Why were Stenhousemuir and Stirling Albion not placed in North half - i.e. to give 5 ties in each.

I've tried to work it out before, no idea how they do it but it's no surprise. They've ruined what used to be a great competition by shoe-horning their 'big team' buddies inany way possible. It seems NOTHING in Scottish football is allowed to happen without being infiltrated by the OF curse.

Is there not a B team tournament that these teams/players can play in... Maybe link it with a proper B/reserve league... :whistle

In recent years it's become common for the actual clubs to field weakened sides in the early rounds - in some cases largely resting most, or on occasion all, their starting XI from the Saturday... I recall 1 or 2 even effectively fielding their own U20s.

• 3 weeks later...

Going over old ground here but ...

It's the Diddy Cup.  It was created for the Diddy clubs.  It gives the Diddy clubs their only realistic chance to win something each season other than the Diddy league that they happen to be in.  I support a Diddy club - ergo, I like it.

Positives - the finals are usually a decent day out and usually well attended.  Two of our finals had circa 10,000 gates.

Negatives - obviously the B teams, they just don't belong in the tournament, simples - but of course the Blazers who run the game don't consider the fans views.  Some clubs don't take it seriously (at least in the early rounds), but hey-ho that's their prerogative and to each their own, etc etc.

Maybe ayes/maybe naws - not sure about the Welsh/N Irish sides.  On the one hand it adds something different and interesting to see how we match up against them, but something says to me that its a Scottish tournament and should stay that way.  However, I'm undecided on this.

Edited by Otis Blue

Welsh sides in particular offer nothing, it's fairly distant travel wise and I wouldn't want to be a supporter of the Welsh team trying to get anywhere north of Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Northern Ireland's a bit better cause it's only just across the sea but it's still naw great. Agree to that end that it should just be a Scots' competition - I imagine it costs TNS, Linfield, whoever gets in - a fair bit of money as well.

Could flip that and say it's the closest side us wee teams will get to a European trip, but doesn't really outweigh the negatives.

As for B-Teams, get them straight to f**k.

1 hour ago, ClydeTon said:

... Could flip that and say it's the closest side us wee teams will get to a European trip ...

Ahem (see below) ... but aye, in general you're absolutely right.

FCN%20v%20QoS%20program.jpg

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Does that mean our European game never happened? 

No, no. Just means it doesn't save you from diddy club status.

Have I got a cheek? Maybe. But Falkirk or below is the cut-off for the great embarrassment, imo.