Germany 2024

invergowrie arab

13 hours ago, German Jag said:

Don‘t forget that the times mentioned are based on traveling with the ICE.

Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe is central and on the north-south ICE line. Is also like basing yourself in Pitlochry.

A better suggestion would be Hannover. 2 stops further north.

1) You‘re in a decent sized city with a football culture.

2) As well as being on the north/south ICE line you‘re also on the east/west line. In other words, one stop to Hamburg, 1/2 stops to Berlin, IC direct to Leipzig, ICE to NRW plus direct ICE connections to Frankfurt/Stuttgart & Münich.

And no, I don‘t work for the Hannover tourist board.

Helpful. I was considering somewhere around Nuremberg or Erfurt/Weimar but haven't gotten round to getting more detail yet.

20 minutes ago, lochgellyPAR said:

Thinking about Frankfurt. Would it be a pain in the arse to get trains around from there or are the links decent?

I reckon they're pretty decent, but only been there once. Came back to Cologne from the airport on the ICE only took just over an hour.

Berlin and Hamburg might be a push but I reckon everywhere else is an hour or two at worst from there.

Edit: Munich maybe 3.

Edited by Stellaboz

20 minutes ago, lochgellyPAR said:

Thinking about Frankfurt. Would it be a pain in the arse to get trains around from there or are the links decent?

Frankfurt Hbf is one of the most important stations in Germany from what my (limited) research shows.

Of course, with the continent piling into Germany it's bound to be crowded as hell. Loads of trains though.

Edited by ClydeTon

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Red light zones in Germany are often next to railway stations and the area around Frankfurt Hbf is a bit sleazy. 

Not that this information is of any use to you lot of course... 

I stayed in a hotel a few minutes walk from Frankfurt Station and can confirm the area was sketchy as f**k at night.

I watched someone cook up and inject what I assume was heroin right in front of Frankfurt Hbf a few years back in broad daylight so I agree with the assessment of it being sketchy as f**k.

It might be handy for public transport but I'd stay in any other major city near there before Frankfurt and not because the area about the station is a bit dodgy, I just found it a bit of a meh place. A mixture of big buildings for the financial companies and rebuilt old town buildings which were all destroyed in the war and I didn't really find it a great place for a night out so I wouldn't be keen to base myself there for a week or two. If I had to be near Frankfurt I'd probably opt for somewhere like Mannheim but I think Cologne, Dusseldorf, Essen, Duisberg etc further north are a better shout. Basically anywhere else except Dortmund.

Well worth a trip to Frankfurt for a game though, it's a cracking stadium.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

We got a train from Frankfurt to Berlin last year when we missed a connecting flight (took full advantage of the 9 Euro anywhere in Germany train ticket that was on the go at the time). There was a fire next to the line that caused a 90 minute delay and even with that the journey only took a shade over 4 hours. Train travel in Germany is superb.

Booked up for Cologne, decent price digs.  

Only issue is you’re about 15 minutes away from the station in a taxi, but looking at Cologne being our base. 

Cologne/Frankfurt seem the most central places to stay going by stadium map

Edited by Connor7

Booked hotel with ease for the 2nd weekend of the tourney in Frankfurt, double room in the City Centre Ibis for £150 each. Flights should be available next week, atm it's showing flights up to the 1st weekend which still has seats available and are currently sitting at £200 return direct from Glasgow so should hopefully be sorted, decent total cost that.

Just need to now hope it's not Hamburg as that's over 5 hours away on the train, the rest are all decent, 2/3 hour trains.

Edited by M0rtonfc

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Red light zones in Germany are often next to railway stations and the area around Frankfurt Hbf is a bit sleazy. 

Same in Essen. Stayed near the Hbf and it was the home of rubber man (a man so fucked he couldn’t stand up straight, and nearly managed to bend over backwards yet not fall over) and the guy who pissed himself walking down the street. The pub next door to my hotel got raided during the night for drugs as well.

It was a fairly entertaining stay, can’t deny it. 

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

When it comes to getting tickets through the supporters club, is there any indication of how many points you might need to be in with a chance of getting tickets?

To guarantee it you're looking at 11 or 12 as things stand with the capacity of the stadia being used and assuming the allocations are largely similar to recent UEFA tournaments.

I think it'll drop down a few points between people not going or getting sorted through the ballots, others aren't as confident.

9 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

To guarantee it you're looking at 11 or 12 as things stand with the capacity of the stadia being used and assuming the allocations are largely similar to recent UEFA tournaments.

I think it'll drop down a few points between people not going or getting sorted through the ballots, others aren't as confident.

Ok that’s great, I have about 15 but was wondering if that would do.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Didn't do my research before a rail trip in Germany 2 years ago. 

The area around the station is a binbag filled with scum that's slowly seeping out into the city.

On 26/06/2023 at 07:15, Aufc said:

Is this actually true? Woukd seem a bit bizarre if so

Just to follow up on this UEFA confirmed how the draw will work today and it is what I thought would happen, teams will be randomly drawn their position in the groups so you can't work out 2nd seeds being A2 or B2 etc.

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0282-185b758ac450-55e5038c97ad-1000/uefa_euro_2024_final_draw_procedure.pdf

Apart from the four pots 1, 2, 3 and 4 which contain the balls with the 23 teams that enter the draw, six
pots A, B, C, D, E and F are required to draw the respective team’s position in each group.

Pots B-F contain four balls each to represent the positions available in each group (e.g. B1, B2, B3 and
B4). Pot A contains three balls for the available positions A2, A3 and A4 in group A, since Germany will
occupy position A1.

The draw starts with pot 1. The first team from pot 1 is drawn and assigned to the first-available group in
alphabetical order (group B in this case). To determine the position of the team within the drawn group, a
ball is subsequently drawn from the relevant bowl (pot B in this case) containing the group positions.

The next team is drawn to be assigned to the next available group in alphabetical order. Again, a ball is
drawn from the associated pot with the group positions. The same procedure is repeated, until one team
from Pot 1 has been assigned to every group B to F, and a group position has been assigned to every
team.

Once Pot 1 has been emptied, the draw continues with Pot 2 in the same fashion (i.e. until one team from
Pot 2 has been assigned to every group A to F), then Pot 3 and concludes with Pot 4.