Berwick Rangers 23/24

Redcar

Thought we should get up to date with a new thread. (Won't be much traffic on here, most fans still use the 'from the grove' page on Facebook).

This is our squad, so far. Never actually saw any confirmation that Lewis Baker re-signed, but he is on the website so presumably has a contract. (Maybe he had a 2-year contract last season). It's a strong defence and a decent midfield, but really light up front. 

OUT

Steven Anderson (to Crossgates Primrose), Dylan Orr (released), Jamie Pyper (to 'shire)

SQUAD

GK's

Callum Antell, Thomas Kay

DEFENDERS 

Blair Sneddon (in from Falkirk), Callum Mackay (in from Spartans), David Ferguson, Jamie McCormack (in from Bo'ness), Kyle Baker, Michael Travis.

MIDFIELD

Alex Harris, Cammy Graham, Drew Cummings (in from Tweedmouth Rangers), Graham Taylor, Grant Nelson, Jamie Stevenson, Jordan Sinclair, Kane O'Connor (in from Tranent), Lewis Barr.

FORWARDS

Liam Buchanan, Lewis Allan, Lewis Baker

Edited by Redcar

Jamie McCormack is a highly combative defender. You will need to wait to see that though as I reckon he has a 6  game  suspension still to serve.   It was 12 games but I reckon 6 were served at Bo'ness United.

A good player but most opposition players know how to noise him up........and when the red mist appears he cannot help himself.

Broadly the same squad from the second half of last season which did so well, you would think that squad with a couple of additions made should be good to challenge.

I did think you were very reliant on Liam’s goals (hey, that’s better than being able to rely on no one for goals last season before anyone says it), so if anything happens to him then could be an issue.

On 19/06/2023 at 19:49, Deanburn Dave said:

Jamie McCormack is a highly combative defender. You will need to wait to see that though as I reckon he has a 6  game  suspension still to serve.   It was 12 games but I reckon 6 were served at Bo'ness United.

A good player but most opposition players know how to noise him up........and when the red mist appears he cannot help himself.

Berwick Rangers came to some sort of an agreement with Jamie regarding his absence for the first month of the season. Whatever that means. Perhaps he is waiving his wages or something. 

On 19/06/2023 at 20:05, Cowdenleith said:

Broadly the same squad from the second half of last season which did so well, you would think that squad with a couple of additions made should be good to challenge.

I did think you were very reliant on Liam’s goals (hey, that’s better than being able to rely on no one for goals last season before anyone says it), so if anything happens to him then could be an issue.

Absolutely agree. We are, according to the gaffer, still looking for a striker. But there can't be much money left in the piggy bank and proven goalscorers don't come cheap. 

On 19/06/2023 at 21:05, Cowdenleith said:

Indeed. Good chances for getting a successful season with that squad.

• 2 weeks later...

In the words of disgraced ex 70’s pop star it’s good to be back! Or is it?

im struggling to get on board for some reason. Is it the one man two clubs feeling I’m getting? Maybe it’s the over reliance on too many part time shifters from last season. Don’t get the Allan & Baker up top thing at all. Liam won’t stay fit through the schedule we are facing. If he does, it will be a miracle. If the midfield start chipping in then maybe things will work out. But last years on off start and injuries to the old guard meant we were playing catch up. Still not sure SM will take us anywhere. Waking them up in the first ten minutes of an away game would be a start. And looking at the league there are no pushovers. Could be the strongest toughest league yet. I hope come mid September my opinions are wilting with the summer plants.
Lastly where is the publicity for The Legend Dennis’s testimonial? Piss poor for the man who has kept the club onside for years and years. I’m sure without him we would have been sunk years before we were. Blinding bloke. 

On 14/07/2023 at 23:01, sammyreidloyal said:

In the words of disgraced ex 70’s pop star it’s good to be back! Or is it?

im struggling to get on board for some reason. Is it the one man two clubs feeling I’m getting? Maybe it’s the over reliance on too many part time shifters from last season. Don’t get the Allan & Baker up top thing at all. Liam won’t stay fit through the schedule we are facing. If he does, it will be a miracle. If the midfield start chipping in then maybe things will work out. But last years on off start and injuries to the old guard meant we were playing catch up. Still not sure SM will take us anywhere. Waking them up in the first ten minutes of an away game would be a start. And looking at the league there are no pushovers. Could be the strongest toughest league yet. I hope come mid September my opinions are wilting with the summer plants.
Lastly where is the publicity for The Legend Dennis’s testimonial? Piss poor for the man who has kept the club onside for years and years. I’m sure without him we would have been sunk years before we were. Blinding bloke. 

703 there for Dennis's testimonial against a young Sunderland side.

Thought we played well - certainly matched them for much of the game - but, predictably, we were really lightweight up front.

You are not alone in wondering why either of the Baker's are still here. They are simply not good enough for this level. The jury has long since returned a negative verdict on Lewy Allen. He's had more than enough chances, and whilst he is a decent and strong hold-up man, he offers no threat in the box. (Though he was better than the trialist who came on in the second half). That only leaves Buchanan, the odd dart forward from midfield and set pieces. 

But, I think the defence and midfield have been seriously improved by Stu Malcolm for this season. Sneddon is excellent, Mackay looks good, McCormack has yet to appear and Ferguson is the best defender in the League. O'Connor looks good too - though he got a bad injury on Saturday - and generally I was impressed with the quality of our play, until it reached their box. 

Kev Dixon would ingratiate himself with the fans if he popped open his cheque book and signed a decent attacker. I think that is all that stands between us and a really good season. (injuries aside)

So important to start the season off well - and once again we don't. 

Groundhog Day - players unavailable, a long term injury to a key signing and a defeat. O'Connor will likely be missing till after Xmas (maybe all season), McCormack has an 8 game ban, Taylor has a 2-game ban, Stevenson is allegedly injured, Sinclair doesn't get a mention and we have no forwards to support Buchanan anyway. 

The team now picks itself with no positive changes possible from the bench. 

Need a big reaction on Tuesday. 

Must be quite depressing knowing the season will go nowhere again and you are here for eternity.

Fair play to the lads who still go and stick it out. Berwick will always have a place in my heart.

17 hours ago, Redcar said:

So important to start the season off well - and once again we don't. 

Groundhog Day - players unavailable, a long term injury to a key signing and a defeat. O'Connor will likely be missing till after Xmas (maybe all season), McCormack has an 8 game ban, Taylor has a 2-game ban, Stevenson is allegedly injured, Sinclair doesn't get a mention and we have no forwards to support Buchanan anyway. 

The team now picks itself with no positive changes possible from the bench. 

Need a big reaction on Tuesday. 

What happened to Kane O'Conner ?