Berwick Rangers 23/24

Redcar

On 30/08/2023 at 19:31, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Someone's upset his club's failure to play said 38 year old cost them their league status

Not at all, just pointing out the blindingly obvious stat that he scores a disproportionate amount of your goals in the league. 

18 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Not at all, just pointing out the blindingly obvious stat that he scores a disproportionate amount of your goals in the league. 

Of course - you're not wrong but then that's not all that surprising given I'd sooner watch you up top in Black & Gold than another Lewis Allan performance. It's a shame your fellow chomping fans aren't quite as sensible - I seem to have provoked quite the reaction! Thankfully I'm hearing Liam's immune system is in top shape for tomorrow.

3 hours ago, ronaldincoo said:

Normal service is resumed. GIRUY. That is all.

Fair enough. We were absolutely outclassed by a team that just did the simple things really well.

I haven't seen Stu Malcolm's post match interview yet - and if he's any sense he won't do one. But if he starts blaming the players again, for "not doing what Myself, Dean and Thomas tell them to do" I shall pull out what's left of my hair 

The whole point of retaining 90% of last year's squad, was to ensure that the players knew what to expect from one another, play as a team, cover one another's weaknesses, anticipate the strengths and drop readily into a game plan where everyone knows their role 

We looked like we'd just met on the bus down from Edinburgh. Lewy Barr popping up in either full back slot, Harris passing to imaginary friends, Taylor arguing with his team mates and a whole series of inadequate and excruciatingly pathetic passes to 'Beath players who cunningly paid attention for 90 minutes.

A truly terrible performance, bereft of spirit, by a decent set of players. The finger points very firmly in one direction. 

Edited by Redcar

3 hours ago, Redcar said:

Fair enough. We were absolutely outclassed by a team that just did the simple things really well.

I haven't seen Stu Malcolm's post match interview yet - and if he's any sense he won't do one. But if he starts blaming the players again, for "not doing what Myself, Dean and Thomas tell them to do" I shall pull out what's left of my hair 

The whole point of retaining 90% of last year's squad, was to ensure that the players knew what to expect from one another, play as a team, cover one another's weaknesses, anticipate the strengths and drop readily into a game plan where everyone knows their role 

We looked like we'd just met on the bus down from Edinburgh. Lewy Barr popping up in either full back slot, Harris passing to imaginary friends, Taylor arguing with his team mates and a whole series of inadequate and excruciatingly pathetic passes to 'Beath players who cunningly paid attention for 90 minutes.

A truly terrible performance, bereft of spirit, by a decent set of players. The finger points very firmly in one direction. 

I'm not sure I really agree. Today was awful but I think the players have to take responsibility for their part in it else it doesn't matter who's in charge. There's fault on both parts and if the finger is pointed only at Malcolm, some of the players in that squad are getting away with murder.

That said, you could look at our squad going into this season and point out about 7-8 players who simply aren't good enough or shouldn't be there for one reason or another. Malcolm needs to shoulder the blame for that - it was his call to stick rather than twist and the loyalty he's shown to most hasn't been repaid. I still think it's bit bizarre he let a good changing room character go in Pyper - particularly now he appears to be having issues with getting the team to play to his instructions. I've been pro-Malcolm throughout his entire spell and still am, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's caused his own undoing at some point down the line.

Cowden are ironically enough a good example of what could have been done instead. Their quickfire rebuild has been very impressive and although they didn't have much to beat today, they were completely comfortable. 

As an aside, Sneddon left the ground in some kind of leg contraption that makes me think he's likely out a while, capping off a fantastic day at the office.

13 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I'm not sure I really agree. Today was awful but I think the players have to take responsibility for their part in it else it doesn't matter who's in charge. There's fault on both parts and if the finger is pointed only at Malcolm, some of the players in that squad are getting away with murder.

That said, you could look at our squad going into this season and point out about 7-8 players who simply aren't good enough or shouldn't be there for one reason or another. Malcolm needs to shoulder the blame for that - it was his call to stick rather than twist and the loyalty he's shown to most hasn't been repaid. I still think it's bit bizarre he let a good changing room character go in Pyper - particularly now he appears to be having issues with getting the team to play to his instructions. I've been pro-Malcolm throughout his entire spell and still am, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's caused his own undoing at some point down the line.

Cowden are ironically enough a good example of what could have been done instead. Their quickfire rebuild has been very impressive and although they didn't have much to beat today, they were completely comfortable. 

As an aside, Sneddon left the ground in some kind of leg contraption that makes me think he's likely out a while, capping off a fantastic day at the office.

Kind of fair enough, but I think only 4 or 5 of the squad are clearly not good enough. The rest should be doing better. Apart from them, Malcolm has made some decent signings. 

Always difficult to say whether it is basic ability or organisational nous/tactics that is the bigger problem, but some of the movement and passing today was just abysmal - as if they had little idea what their role was. 

Harris's 8-yard pass to Taylor, that missed him by 2 yards and led to the corner for their first goal, was just inept. Baker's header over the bar shortly after he came on was also just seriously poor. Other teams don't make those sort of cock-ups against us. 

But more worrying was the complete lack of ideas in the last 30 minutes. Several occasions where the ball was played around at the back, then an aimless lump forward when a challenge was imminent.

Only Sneddon's energy down the left got us anywhere, and now you're telling me he's crocked!!!! 

People on the FB page saying we shouldn't be negative, but that 2nd half display was right up there with Johnny Harvey's team, yet the likes of Ferguson, McCormack, Travis, Sneddon, Buchanan, and Taylor would have walked into Harvey's team. 

As ever, I may be wrong, and hope I am. 

49 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Think it would have been much closer game had Buchanan played.

5 hours ago, Redcar said:

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

That said, you could look at our squad going into this season and point out about 7-8 players who simply aren't good enough or shouldn't be there for one reason or another. Malcolm needs to shoulder the blame for that - it was his call to stick rather than twist and the loyalty he's shown to most hasn't been repaid.

Eeeww. Shades of Cowden in our last 2 seasons in SPL div 2. Kept re-signing a squad that most, essentially, were not good enough to play in and we reaped the consequences. Ye cannae make a silk purse out of a pigs ear as Alexander Barclay said in about 1510 AD.

11 hours ago, Redcar said:

Kind of fair enough, but I think only 4 or 5 of the squad are clearly not good enough. The rest should be doing better. Apart from them, Malcolm has made some decent signings. 

Always difficult to say whether it is basic ability or organisational nous/tactics that is the bigger problem, but some of the movement and passing today was just abysmal - as if they had little idea what their role was. 

Harris's 8-yard pass to Taylor, that missed him by 2 yards and led to the corner for their first goal, was just inept. Baker's header over the bar shortly after he came on was also just seriously poor. Other teams don't make those sort of cock-ups against us. 

But more worrying was the complete lack of ideas in the last 30 minutes. Several occasions where the ball was played around at the back, then an aimless lump forward when a challenge was imminent.

Only Sneddon's energy down the left got us anywhere, and now you're telling me he's crocked!!!! 

People on the FB page saying we shouldn't be negative, but that 2nd half display was right up there with Johnny Harvey's team, yet the likes of Ferguson, McCormack, Travis, Sneddon, Buchanan, and Taylor would have walked into Harvey's team. 

As ever, I may be wrong, and hope I am. 

Suppose it's all about opinions on the point about personnel - I'd happily name who I don't think is up to it but there's now a culture of not being able to amongst our fanbase through fear of upsetting grown men who are paid to play football these days which is a bit odd but each to their own.

Must say I was baffled to hear Malcolm's interview claim that we were the better side in the first half. We bypassed the midfield for 40 of the 45 minutes in favour of aimless long-ball nonsense. The wingers might as well not have been on the park (Taylor did his best not to be and should have been sent off, Harris did more damage than good) and a central midfield 3 somehow managed to provide acres for Cowden to work in.

As you pointed out, a frustrated Barr had to keep dropping in way too deep to try bring it out by the second half (and inevitably it just led to another lump forward anyway) and I don't think McCormack made it to the opposition half all afternoon. He looks about as much of a right back as I look a weightlifter. To persist with the same approach into the second half and seemingly be happy with it is probably a good indicator of why Cowden continued to absolutely stroll it in the 2nd half. It's also odd to see him bemoan those who continue to not show up in big games, while handing serial offenders like Alex Harris starts. He was utterly woeful yesterday, Declan O'Kane levels of inept. A truly bizarre player.

Couple of kind fixtures but if we're beat off Hearts pressure will be on big time going into Gretna, and even with them looking relatively awful you wouldn't put it past us to throw them a win, you know what we're like.

11 hours ago, Marooneye said:

Malcolm is a shite gaffer end of.  Shame he's on a massive contract and you can't afford to sack him.

Try harder. 

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Suppose it's all about opinions on the point about personnel - I'd happily name who I don't think is up to it but there's now a culture of not being able to amongst our fanbase through fear of upsetting grown men who are paid to play football these days which is a bit odd but each to their own.

Must say I was baffled to hear Malcolm's interview claim that we were the better side in the first half. We bypassed the midfield for 40 of the 45 minutes in favour of aimless long-ball nonsense. The wingers might as well not have been on the park (Taylor did his best not to be and should have been sent off, Harris did more damage than good) and a central midfield 3 somehow managed to provide acres for Cowden to work in.

As you pointed out, a frustrated Barr had to keep dropping in way too deep to try bring it out by the second half (and inevitably it just led to another lump forward anyway) and I don't think McCormack made it to the opposition half all afternoon. He looks about as much of a right back as I look a weightlifter. To persist with the same approach into the second half and seemingly be happy with it is probably a good indicator of why Cowden continued to absolutely stroll it in the 2nd half. It's also odd to see him bemoan those who continue to not show up in big games, while handing serial offenders like Alex Harris starts. He was utterly woeful yesterday, Declan O'Kane levels of inept. A truly bizarre player.

Couple of kind fixtures but if we're beat off Hearts pressure will be on big time going into Gretna, and even with them looking relatively awful you wouldn't put it past us to throw them a win, you know what we're like.

Try harder. 

Great post. Agree with every word.

Harris should be booking into a monastery after (correctly) being compared to Declan O'Kane.

And feck it. No problem naming the Bakers, Harris, Allan and perhaps Stevo as the 'shouldn't be here' cartel. 

3 hours ago, Redcar said:

Great post. Agree with every word.

Harris should be booking into a monastery after (correctly) being compared to Declan O'Kane.

And feck it. No problem naming the Bakers, Harris, Allan and perhaps Stevo as the 'shouldn't be here' cartel. 

Aye, agree - add Sinclair for me who I doubt has played 5 consecutive games in 3 years here, and I reckon the jury is still out on the new signings really. Not great

Despite all the bluster about giving the manager time, we are still a bang average team. That lies squarely at Malcolm’s feet. I agree he plays his favourites. Baker is gash. He found his level last week. We signed too many players in their later years, it shows when we play two game s a week. Although a good player, Barr has a tendency to get lost and wander. Look back and he has always done that. We raise the bar one week then disappoint the next. Cowdenbeath have easily beaten us twice at ours and what has been learned? Nothing it seems.
Watch us beat Hearts and struggle past Gretna. 

On 05/09/2023 at 14:15, sammyreidloyal said:

Despite all the bluster about giving the manager time, we are still a bang average team. That lies squarely at Malcolm’s feet. I agree he plays his favourites. Baker is gash. He found his level last week. We signed too many players in their later years, it shows when we play two game s a week. Although a good player, Barr has a tendency to get lost and wander. Look back and he has always done that. We raise the bar one week then disappoint the next. Cowdenbeath have easily beaten us twice at ours and what has been learned? Nothing it seems.
Watch us beat Hearts and struggle past Gretna. 

Well,I wasn’t far off. 

The time for questioning has gone, I really think the season challenge is over.

Yes the back end of last season everything seemed to gel, but whether finances or giving players some trust we entrusted this season to them.

We got Baker who couldn't score in a brothel, and the usual smattering of sick, lame, and lazy. enough to frustrate any diehard fan.

Management, Boardroom, Players, Someone needs to step up and really say what the ambitions of the club are, Pre-covid, there was talk of a charge to get promotion, the way we're heading it'll be to stave off relegation