Titanic II

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Attaching a cable is a bad idea because if it breaks or gets snagged the submarine has the large amount of additional weight and would be stranded.

Think their ROV is the potential help.

Unsnag/cut loose/etc.

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I'm surprised that no one has brought in these guys that magnet fish canals, just need a longer rope.

The Titan is made of carbon-fibre and titanium, rather than steel, so it would evade your magnet fishermen even if they had a big enough rope.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the very first carbon-fibre hulled deep sea submersible, so this was a bit of an experimental voyage for all concerned.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Attaching a cable is a bad idea because if it breaks or gets snagged the submarine has the large amount of additional weight and would be stranded.

The cable I was talking about is the one that tethers the ROV to the mothership and supplies power and communication to control it.

17 minutes ago, Redgold said:

I would not joke about it any more now

Tbf, I'm not convinced we've suddenly reached a point where this has gone from a big laugh to being a bit serious. 

From the outset, this has been a tiny homemade submarine lost in 4000m of water.