Women's World Cup 2023

Swarley

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Didnt see anything from Columbia to give us hope theyll knock out England, so yet another few days of the commentators pish! 

France should win comfortably enough v Morocco. 

Correct on both counts.

19 hours ago, Swarley said:

Three photos from last night. This was our first game of the tournament and my son's first Matildas game. Biggest crowd I've ever been in but it was surprising how little atmosphere there was. The Aussies don't really do singing or chanting. Decent win and hopefully we get to see them again at Stadium Australia in the Semi Final.

mini-DSC_2273.JPG

mini-DSC_2267.JPG

mini-DSC_2262.JPG

You somehow look exactly as I expected, and yet nothing like I expected at the same time

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

You somehow look exactly as I expected, and yet nothing like I expected at the same time

I'll take that as a compliment but if its not...
tumblr_luypmxglQi1qfmvyzo1_500.gif

23 hours ago, Swarley said:

Yeah some creative accounting going on there! It certainly wasn't full. There were 5 or 6 seats right next to us empty, some in front, some behind. I've tickets for the Quarter final on Saturday but its England and there's no way I can sit and watch "them" play. Even if I'm supporting Colombia/Jamaica.

Tickets added to the resale platform and snapped up within seconds. I hope a nice Colombian family got them.

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

Crowd for three of the six games played at AAMI Park (Melbourne Rectangle) shown as 27,706 

I'd be interested to know if that is the number of tickets sold or the number of people coming through the turnstiles. I'd suspect the former.

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

I'd be interested to know if that is the number of tickets sold or the number of people coming through the turnstiles. I'd suspect the former.

Agreed. Interesting for SFS England v Denmark 40,439; Germany v Colombia 40,499; Panama v France 40,498.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/crowds

Edited by Eednud

Two potentially cracking games today. Just a shame that the first one is on at a ridiculous time. Stupid Americans fecking about with the kick off times to maximise their tv audience. Predictions;

Spain 1-1 Netherlands (Dutch on penalties)

Japan 1-0 Sweden

7 hours ago, Swarley said:

Two potentially cracking games today. Just a shame that the first one is on at a ridiculous time. Stupid Americans fecking about with the kick off times to maximise their tv audience. Predictions;

Spain 1-1 Netherlands (Dutch on penalties)

Japan 1-0 Sweden

Close with the first one, Spain 2-1 AET

Japan currently getting hammered by Sweden, 0-2 at 55 mins. Sweden awarded a very weak VARS penalty for unintentional handball.

16 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Probably a penalty under the current rules but it's ridiculous that you're not allowed to defend nowadays unless you're Michael Flatley.

Especially trying jump against players 6 inches taller with your hands behind your back.

10 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Well, that's ridiculous. Much softer than the Swedish penalty.

Thought there might have been a push but no. Don't understand why the VARS people didn't get the ref to have a look, clear dive.

Two very entertaining games but some, imho, weird penalty or non penalty decisions;

Ball clearly strikes arm of Dutch defender sitting on the ground - no penalty, not even reviewed. 

Dutch striker clearly knocked off the ball by Spanish defender - penalty given but rescinded after VAR review. 

The Japanese handball as you've already discussed. Incredibly harsh. 

Edited by Swarley