Women's World Cup 2023

Swarley

2 hours ago, Binos said:

Sacked for applauding,  surely 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s my take.  I’ve read that he was not particularly popular with the players despite their success.

Yeah.  In retrospect it rather seems more like that. 

Dani Carvajal on the Hermoso scandal, translation from Marca and Relevo. I wonder how this will be interpreted in Spain? maybe along the lines of if you're not with us, you're against us? or just taken at face value. I wonder why Carvajal wasn't prepared to just go with the flow.

We jointly issued the statement to make it clear from the first moment and focus purely on sports in the Georgia game. We all prepared the statement in which we were all comfortable and good, in accordance with what happened. What we reject is what I say, those inopportune gestures of the president. It’s a shame that the world title diminishes or overlaps because it is a very important feat for our football. It has not been good for the image of Spanish sport.

I will sidestep that question [would he be comfortable with Rubiales kissing him without his consent?]. Don’t know. I come here to play, to be available and help the team to qualify for Euro 2024. Given what it means to be the president of a Federation… We are players who are called up and they call us for the performance in our clubs. We in the statement admit that the president’s behaviour is not appropriate and what you consider a victim, in your question that you are asking me, in the end there are legal entities that are considering whether Jennifer is really a victim of something, which is a process that is underway. In the end, and after all, we stay out of it.

I already told you that there are people who have to decide if there is guilt or a victim. Well, they will make that known. So we cannot position ourselves or condemn one party or another beforehand without knowing what has really happened, what has been stipulated, because to this day Jennifer has not filed the complaint either.

Dani Carvajal

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/09/06/real-madrid-star-refuses-to-back-jenni-hermoso-there-are-legal-entities-to-decide-that-are-legal

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66637879

Took him long enough, but Rubiales has finally decided to GTF

Maybe the idea of a criminal enquiry sharpened his mind.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it quietly gets sidelined or is dropped completely.

Just an entirely mystifying affair. He'd have been absolutely fine if he'd just apologised for a bit of sexist overexuberance at a moment where he'd have been forgiven for getting carried away.

Instead, he decided to take a hard line that he'd done nothing wrong, that his nation's World Cup winning goalscorer was lying and really wanted a big lipsmacker from him, used the Spanish FA to threaten to sue anyone saying otherwise and promote selectively-edited propaganda that it was all the goalscorer's fault, got his auld dear to go on hunger strike until people stopped being meanies, and eventually resigns anyway. What a monumental head's gone; imagine Mike Mulraney groping John McGinn's goalscoring arse after Scotland wins the Euros next year and making his own shithousery the big story in the weeks after.

No doubt he'll spin it out into a podcast about cancel culture and the evils of wokeness.

12 hours ago, BTFD said:

No doubt he'll spin it out into a podcast about cancel culture and the evils of wokeness.

That'll be why he chose to announce his resignation on Talk Radio to Piers fucking Morgan. Has Spain not got any arseholes of their own on the radio?

20 hours ago, BTFD said:

Just an entirely mystifying affair. He'd have been absolutely fine if he'd just apologised for a bit of sexist overexuberance at a moment where he'd have been forgiven for getting carried away.

Instead, he decided to take a hard line that he'd done nothing wrong, that his nation's World Cup winning goalscorer was lying and really wanted a big lipsmacker from him, used the Spanish FA to threaten to sue anyone saying otherwise and promote selectively-edited propaganda that it was all the goalscorer's fault, got his auld dear to go on hunger strike until people stopped being meanies, and eventually resigns anyway. What a monumental head's gone; imagine Mike Mulraney groping John McGinn's goalscoring arse after Scotland wins the Euros next year and making his own shithousery the big story in the weeks after.

Spot on, this would all have been over in an instant if he just held his hands up and said "in my over-enthusiasm, I went too far, I shouldn't have done this and I apologise".

Good riddance to him, his position has become untenable after that behaviour.

You can understand why he had initial support from the top people in the Spanish FA, and why he was so reluctant to give up his job..

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/09/04/rfef-quadrupled-salaries-of-suspended-president-luis-rubiales-and-3-others-over-3-years

On 11/09/2023 at 00:04, BTFD said:

He'd have been absolutely fine if he'd just apologised for a bit of sexist overexuberance at a moment where he'd have been forgiven for getting carried away.

18 hours ago, Marten said:

Spot on, this would all have been over in an instant if he just held his hands up and said "in my over-enthusiasm, I went too far, I shouldn't have done this and I apologise".

I think it was the sexual abuse that was the main problem, no? He sexually abused and violated that poor innocent woman by forcing his lips onto hers and I don't think an apology would have cut the mustard.

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

I think it was the sexual abuse that was the main problem, no? He sexually abused that poor woman by forcing his lips onto hers and I don't think an apology would have cut the mustard.

You should say what you mean and not hide behind this pathetic stuff imo 

The structural reforms seem to have been limited to the resignation of Rubiales and the sacking of Vilda. I was expecting sweeping changes, but it seems it's just business as usual for the rest. Hilarious. 😂

I think that in terms of restoring the honour of Jenni, it is enough. With the dismissals of Rubiales and Vilda their honor has been restored. Nothing else is being negotiated, they have everything.

Rafael del Amo, Head of Womens football

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/09/12/rfef-womens-chief-says-spanish-federation-have-made-sufficient-changes-after-luis-rubiales-exit

Edited by 2426255