#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s a stupid thing to say from a poster who usually doesn’t say stupid things.

On a different note, why is the English referees’ body allowing their officials to go abroad to referee matches that has f**k all to do with the English game?

VAR officials for the Liverpool match - England, Cook and fourth official Michael Oliver - were also part of an officiating team who took charge of a league game in the United Arab Emirates on Thursday, just 48 hours before Saturday's fixture.

The Football Association had approved the trip, with the trio arriving in London on Friday to prepare for Saturday's game.

Referees being paid by Man City's owners just days before taking charge of a game involving one of their title rivals is a terrible look for the league in so many ways.

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

On a different note, why is the English referees’ body allowing their officials to go abroad to referee matches that has f**k all to do with the English game?

Does this not happen all the time though? English officials are in charge of Europa League games on Thursday nights for example and then referee on the Saturday in England.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Does this not happen all the time though? English officials are in charge of Europa League games on Thursday nights for example and then referee on the Saturday in England.

I’d imagine refereeing in European competitions that English teams participate inis part of the job (in the widest sense of that term).

If they are involved then they should be rested for a set period to ensure they are fully capable for their next stint.

I also think a 2-3 hour flight back from Europe may not be as exhausting as a 7 hour flight back from UAE.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Referees being paid by Man City's owners just days before taking charge of a game involving one of their title rivals is a terrible look for the league in so many ways.

Yes, there’s also that aspect of it.

I don't really see what the big problem with VAR is. Mistakes happen with VAR, more mistakes will happen without it. If there is a net improvement in correct decisions  being made, how can you logically argue that it should be removed?

Do people just like having things to moan about?

What a monumental cock-up.  "Replay Operator" caught the mistake and tried to convince the VAR to do something but was overruled.  He also tried to convince the VAR to heed the advice of "Oli" to try to stop the game but didn't to that.  Had the VAR at least tried to reach the ref on the field to explain the mistake it would not have been as bad.  

At 0:23 of the video the Assistant Ref clearly says "Coming back for the offside, mate" but the VAR wasn't listening.

If anything comes from this I hope that they do something similar to what they do in aviation where pilots and Air traffic controllers have an established set of terminology that makes it crystal clear what they mean.  In this case the VAR should not be saying simply "check complete" but something like "Check complete, good goal" to make it clear that he thinks the goal should have stood

This is the kind of bad communication and process that would kill people in safety critical roles in aviation and on the railways, fortunately lessons have been learned over the years so things are clear.

You have people wanting less delay to the game due to VAR, but then here the VAR goes too quickly, neither the referee nor VAR verbalise that the on-field decision is offside (which we've heard before in other scenarios) and check complete is just said on its with no other explanation like "onside".

Also because the 2D lines were used as it was an obvious offside, there was no delay whilst the offside graphics were produced so the VAR could go straight to "check complete".

Edited by Ginaro

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

What a monumental cock-up.  "Replay Operator" caught the mistake and tried to convince the VAR to do something but was overruled.  He also tried to convince the VAR to heed the advice of "Oli" to try to stop the game but didn't to that.  Had the VAR at least tried to reach the ref on the field to explain the mistake it would not have been as bad.

What are you talking about? As soon as play restarted, there is nothing that they can do. Delaying the game after that would be totally pointless.

2 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

In this case the VAR should not be saying simply "check complete" but something like "Check complete, good goal" to make it clear that he thinks the goal should have stood

A standardised syntax would be “check complete, decision X”, with the referee repeating it back. 

That means if the decision contradicts the on-field one, it can be caught. This would apply to everything that’s reviewed. 

On SSN, they are actually discussing the possibility of replaying the match. I mean, they are saying "I don't think that's what should happen", but its blowing my mind that they are even entering into the discussion like its a credible concept. 

What are they going to do if one Saturday there's an issue at the VAR centre? Will they just tell the fans to go home 😂

Echo the comments above regarding the absolute mess the communication is. I work in an industry where we do a lot of safety critical radio communication and standard phraseology and closed loop (where the receiver has to repeat the message back then the sender confirms it is correct) communication have been standard for years. 

Really astonished they don't seem to have implemented something like this from the start. Just seems to be a bunch of guys talking over each other, no wonder there's been mistakes. 

They shouldn't be able to restart the game until there is positive confirmation from the VAR which the referee then confirms he has recieved and understood. 

It's really not very difficult. Give me a £100k consultancy fee and I will go in and train them how to speak to each other on a radio. 

33 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

At 0:23 of the video the Assistant Ref clearly says "Coming back for the offside, mate" but the VAR wasn't listening.

If anything comes from this I hope that they do something similar to what they do in aviation where pilots and Air traffic controllers have an established set of terminology that makes it crystal clear what they mean.  In this case the VAR should not be saying simply "check complete" but something like "Check complete, good goal" to make it clear that he thinks the goal should have stood

Other than the very obvious communication problems, I don't understand what the point of the assistant raising his flag is when the goal is scored.  It will be checked anyway and that has undoubtedly played it's part in someone else fucking up badly.