FA Cup 2023/24

Eednud

36 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Everytime he scores for them I can’t help but laugh. The Man U fans still hate him yet time and time again, he scores when they need it and shows why he’s still there and still getting picked. It’s hysterical. 

It’s normally the day trippers or the “fans” who couldn’t point to Old Trafford on a map who give him a hard time. There are plenty of them, obviously. Most United fans I speak to know though know how integral he is to the team and, like me, would have him as captain over Fernandes every day of the week. 

7 hours ago, mozam76 said:

It’s normally the day trippers or the “fans” who couldn’t point to Old Trafford on a map who give him a hard time. There are plenty of them, obviously. Most United fans I speak to know though know how integral he is to the team and, like me, would have him as captain over Fernandes every day of the week. 

Well that’s good to know. I feel like he deserves more respect from the Man U fans, so I’m glad he’s got some on side.

Have Liverpool ever had depth under Klopp?  That spell of 2/3 years where they won the CL and the Barclays, after having got to the 2018 CL final too, they seemed to be able to play the same 11 every game.  Their bench always had a few youngsters on it, along with a few jobbers who immediately weakened the team when they came on.  The caveat being they had usually won the game comfortably by that point so these players coming on didn't really affect the result.  I'm talking your Sturridge's, your Origi's. your Lallana's.

I may be wildly misremembering of course, but I recall it was something I noticed at the time.  You could basically name their starting line up before it was announced.

13 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Have Liverpool ever had depth under Klopp?  That spell of 2/3 years where they won the CL and the Barclays, after having got to the 2018 CL final too, they seemed to be able to play the same 11 every game.  Their bench always had a few youngsters on it, along with a few jobbers who immediately weakened the team when they came on.  The caveat being they had usually won the game comfortably by that point so these players coming on didn't really affect the result.  I'm talking your Sturridge's, your Origi's. your Lallana's.

I may be wildly misremembering of course, but I recall it was something I noticed at the time.  You could basically name their starting line up before it was announced.

I think it’s fair to say they’ve never had more strength in depth under him than they do now. Helped by the likes of Bradley / Quansah / Doak / Clark coming through. Jones and Elliot pushing on so well. Kelleher as back up rather than Mignolet / Adrian. 

The Champions League / Premier League winning side of 2018-19 / 2019-20 it was pretty much Mane / Firmino / Salah with Origi / Shaqiri coming in. 

This season it has been pretty much any one of 5 in forward positions.  All are in double figures for the season. Gakpo has lost form though recently and Jota injured. 

Edited by Crow

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Also may be wildly misremembering but thinking back in that 2/3 year spell I'm sure pretty much 9 of their 11 named itself most weeks with the only rotations from time to time (barring injuries/suspensions) being who partnered van Dijk and Milner coming in for one of the midfield 3 (Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum). 

That was a sensational game yesterday. Man Utd turning it around in extra time with a defence of Dalot - Fernandes - Maguire - Antony was remarkable.

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Strangely, the side that most would pick as their most iconic under Klopp was only ever picked once, in the CL final against Spurs:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold Matip Van Dijk Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum

Salah Firmino Mane

13 hours ago, David W said:

Strangely, the side that most would pick as their most iconic under Klopp was only ever picked once, in the CL final against Spurs:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold Matip Van Dijk Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum

Salah Firmino Mane

That's a mental stat :lol: 

• 5 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Replays are to be scrapped from the first round onwards from next season - FA Cup replays to be scrapped from the first round onwards in 2024-25

Something that has been on the cards for what feels like a long time now. I personally won't miss them.

The clubs will though, a bit of revenue at the lower end of the scale lost. The Premiership clubs are just bullies after all its a FA competition and nothing to do wi the Premier League. A joke of a decision.

Ending a 152-year tradition so that the billionaire clubs can play 2-4 more Champions League games and go to the World Club Cup in the USA at the end of the season. Very #Barclays.

7 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

The clubs will though, a bit of revenue at the lower end of the scale lost. The Premiership clubs are just bullies after all its a FA competition and nothing to do wi the Premier League. A joke of a decision.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Ending a 152-year tradition so that the billionaire clubs can play 2-4 more Champions League games and go to the World Club Cup in the USA at the end of the season. Very #Barclays.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Absolutely fucked it. Prem League games after the final, nae replays. Yeah we get it. 

What's particularly sad is the FA think these secret negotiations produced a good deal because R5 returns to a weekend plus they get some pennies (in EPL terms); and anyway they "had" to help EPL clubs in Europe as there simply aren't enough dates.

Yet somehow those same EPL clubs have found enough dates to start the season 1 week later than previously, and spread R4 out over a weekend and adjacent midweek. You can also bet that in a few years they'll want to take the weekend part of R4 out and just play it in midweek. Meanwhile the FA Cup Final is no longer the last game of the season - nor even has the weekend to itself; and replays have inexplicably also been abolished in R1 & R2 even though EFL1&2 clubs wouldn't want that.

They've been completely outmanoeuvred by EPL.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Excellent decision to scrap replays, all the lower league fans complaining about it saying that their clubs rely on them to make money, if your business plan relies on the slim chance of a replay against a bigger club then you shouldn’t be in business in the first place. 

15 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Excellent decision to scrap replays, all the lower league fans complaining about it saying that their clubs rely on them to make money, if your business plan relies on the slim chance of a replay against a bigger club then you shouldn’t be in business in the first place. 

I think this will create more cup upsets.

A smaller team who have drawn with a bigger team will have a better chance of winning in extra time or pens than winning a replay.

Win the tie & make more money in the next round.