J.League

Missed the live J1 games this morning as was out and about, but seems I picked the most eventful day to miss! The Yokohama derby result was particularly wild.

It's not looking great for Omiya Ardija at the bottom of J2, is it? Looked like they'd turned it round for a couple of weeks, but recent results haven't been so good again. 

Iwaki FC have had a tough run of games against teams at the top of the J2 table over the last few weeks and have done well to make themselves very hard to beat. But we really need a win tomorrow against fellow strugglers Roasso Kumamoto to edge away from the relegation zone.

Oh, and if you're into betting, maybe best to avoid Thespakusatsu Gunma on your coupon. For the second week running, their game has been called off at short notice due to a lightning storm!

Saw Ryotaro Meshino, formerly of Hearts, started for Gamba Osaka at the weekend, which set me thinking about current SPFL players that have played in the J.League and vice-versa.

Currently in the J.League, as far as I can see there is:

Alex Schalk - Urawa Red Diamonds, formerly Ross County

Yosuke Ideguchi - Avispa Fukuoka, on loan from Celtic

Ryotaro Meshino - Gamba Osaka, formerly Hearts

Koki Mizuno  - still going strong for Iwate Grulla Morioka, formerly Celtic 

Wikipedia also tells me that David Moberg Karlsson of Urawa Reds played 4 games for Kilmarnock in 2014, although I'd be lying if I said I had any recollection of him in Scotland. There may well be others too.

Conversely, in the SPFL there is:

Kyogo Furuhashi (FC Gifu, Vissel Kobe), Daizen Maeda (Mito Hollyhock, Matsumoto Yamaga, Yokohama F Marinos), Reo Hatate (Kawasaki Frontale), Tomoki Iwata (Oita Trinita, YFM), Yuki Kobayashi (Vissel Kobe, Machida Zelvia, Yokohama FC) - all Celtic

Yutaro Oda (Vissel Kobe), Kyosuke Tagawa (Sagan Tosu, FC Tokyo) - both Hearts

And, bizarrely, Esmael Goncalves - formerly Matsumoto Yamaga, now Livingston

Again, there may well be others!

There will be plenty historically too I'm sure. Off the top of my head, Shunsuke Nakamura had a long career back in Japan after leaving Celtic, and Pieter Huistra went to Hiroshima from Rangers. Plus recently Riku Danzaki had a short spell at Motherwell after Consadole Sapporo. Steve Paterson also played for Yomiuri (now Tokyo Verdy) before the J.League was set up, and Austin MacPhee played non-league football in Japan as well.

Was in Sendai for 3/11 so a bit of a blast from the past to see Fukushima as a poster's location. Nothing quite like watching Japanese television really late at night when you can tell that there is close to complete panic at a press conference over a nuclear power station fairly close to where you are but your Japanese language skills are not up to diciphering what is being said. Fun times. See Vegalta are in J2 now. Too bad. Big support who know how to really get behind their team but the club never seems to get anywhere.

22 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Was in Sendai for 3/11 so a bit of a blast from the past to see Fukushima as a poster's location. Nothing quite like watching Japanese television really late at night when you can tell that there is close to complete panic at a press conference over a nuclear power station fairly close to where you are but your Japanese language skills are not up to diciphering what is being said. Fun times. See Vegalta are in J2 now. Too bad. Big support who know how to really get behind their team but the club never seems to get anywhere.

Was watching 'The Days' on Netflix recently, which was a good reminder of just how scary things were in those few days after the tsunami. Wasn't in Japan myself at the time, but can remember the complete panic and confusion at the press conferences. There was (and still is) clearly a big impact on the coastal region of Fukushima, but it could have been a lot, lot worse. In my 'day job' I spend a lot of time working with marine researchers and fishing communities in Fukushima so am out there for extended periods most years. 

That's also how I ended up following Iwaki FC, who were founded after the disasters in part to give the local region hope and support the recovery efforts and have shot up the leagues since. This is the first year they've really faced relegation trouble given they're up against much bigger teams with more experienced squads in J2, although like Vegalta Sendai they are hopefully edging away from the drop zone now.

You're right about Vegalta being well supported, I mind going to a game in Tokyo - might even have been before the 2011 disasters - when they were in J1, and they brought a huge travelling support down.

Had to check where Iwaki is. If you are based in Sendai there's not much reason to go down the Joban line rather than take the shinkansen to Tokyo. Suspect I must have been there at some point though because I did occasionally do that and stop along the way to do some sightseeing but don't have any memories of it. I know the Fukushima city side of that prefecture much better.

I knew the perenially underachieving Mito Hollyhock were from down the Joban line, but didn't know Fukushima prefecture had more than one J league club now. Interesting to see how Iwaki FC have shot up through the divisions so quickly and that J3 now has pro-rel going with the JFL, at least if Honda FC or a club like Sony Sendai don't get in the way. Never understood how JFL clubs can sustain travel across Japan on crowds of 500 but guess some of them do have corporate sponsors like those two.

Only got to Vegalta games a few times because it was a bit of a trek by public transport from where I lived. Quite high up and well away from the coast fortunately, but it felt like I almost would have been quicker taking the train over to see Montedio Yamagata. Think a lot of Scottish people would get a bit of an eyeopener from the playing standards and how Japanese fans can generate an atmosphere without being antisocial and trying to start some aggro

On 30/08/2023 at 09:20, LongTimeLurker said:

I knew the perenially underachieving Mito Hollyhock were from down the Joban line, but didn't know Fukushima prefecture had more than one J league club now. Interesting to see how Iwaki FC have shot up through the divisions so quickly and that J3 now has pro-rel going with the JFL, at least if Honda FC or a club like Sony Sendai don't get in the way. Never understood how JFL clubs can sustain travel across Japan on crowds of 500 but guess some of them do have corporate sponsors like those two.

A lot of Iwaki's backing comes from Under Armour (or at least their Japanese concession), who have invested in the team and supporting infrastructure quite heavily. Their story has been quite similar to Cove in Scotland in that they've shot up the divisions but hit a bit of a wall in J2, which is to an extent understandable as you suddenly start coming up against some very big and well-resourced teams in J2. Like you say, the distances some of these teams travel in J3 and the JFL is wild given that there's no regionalisation until you get to the lower level. Maybe not surprising that some of the more peripheral teams, like Shimane last year and Kochi this year, run into financial trouble given that the costs of just competing must be huge.

On 30/08/2023 at 09:20, LongTimeLurker said:

Only got to Vegalta games a few times because it was a bit of a trek by public transport from where I lived. Quite high up and well away from the coast fortunately, but it felt like I almost would have been quicker taking the train over to see Montedio Yamagata. Think a lot of Scottish people would get a bit of an eyeopener from the playing standards and how Japanese fans can generate an atmosphere without being antisocial and trying to start some aggro

That's it exactly. Of course, like football everywhere in the world, there are the odd few arseholes in every fanbase (Urawa Reds more than most 😉 ) but for the most part the atmosphere at Japanese games is brilliant even at games with 1-2000 people in the crowd thanks to the singing sections.

Saw on the Tartan Army board that the Scotland 150th anniversary tops were back on sale, which reminded me of this from the other day. If you think £90 for a 150th anniversary Scotland top is expensive, J3 side Kataller Toyama have just launched their 15th anniversary limited edition shirt, with prices starting at 19,800 Yen (about £100) and going all the way up to 26,620 Yen (about £145) for a version with player name and number 🤯 I suppose it's money going into a local club and not to a big corporation, but prices for Japanese club shirts are crazy even at lower leagues.

15th記念ユニフォーム FP

• 3 weeks later...

...and meanwhile in J3, half the league are separated by just seven points in the chase for the second promotion spot, with ten games left to play. Could be a wild final day if things don't start to spread out over the next few games.

image.thumb.png.e461c68dd2bed3320e8d4426a8a0d62a.png

I have recently  moved to Japan, and took in a game at my local J league team on Saturday

Kashiwa Reysol v Avispa Fukuoka. 

Kashiwa 3rd bottom of the J league with Fukuoka sitting 8th

First off , got tickets out of a machine at the local convenience store. Could buy tickets for the whole league, concerts museums, theme parks etc. so convenient!  

A cool little stadium , about 15,000 capacity. Had to walk through a forest to get to it which was unusual. had a half time beer and box of noodles, the toilets were probably the nicest I have been at a football ground. 

A noisy ultras section who sang all game at one end, and a safe standing away section behind the other goal. A tidy little ground

Non stop singing and bouncing from both ends but no hint of aggro, a good family atmosphere, lots of families with kids etc, reasonably priced and a good fun evening.

Level wasn’t too great but pretty direct and plenty of chances for each team. Kashiwa started well and played with a lot of aggression which saw them to a deserved 1-0 half time lead. 

Fukuoka showed good patience and quality in the 2nd half, hitting 3 times on the break with some lovely football and good finishing to send the visiting fans back on their 700 mile trip home delighted . 

I will definite go back, a very pleasant way to spend an evening. F9C2AAF6-23B2-4124-B9B2-66214BE54767.thumb.jpeg.5c282b31fb6c15c92ef067ec8b3d40ea.jpeg

EFA356C2-0493-4715-95B2-0991D00A773A.jpeg

B3218AD1-17CC-4CA3-87CC-43035699F95E.jpeg

Edited by Merkie84
Spelling

Brilliant stuff @Merkie84, thanks for sharing. The fact that J.League games manage to have a brilliant atmosphere, yet without any aggro, is definitely what I find most different to games in Scotland. That and being able to have a beer at your seat while watching the game 😉 Hope you're settling in well in Japan!

Yes it is great! Everything is so clean and convenient! Before the game we went to a “hub” pub which is a British theme bar. I thought it would be tacky and a Disney land version of a pub but was very much like a pub at home!

On the way home found a very cute iziyaka bar,l to have a few drinks, only just big enough for the 10 of us and that was it. 

I might get the fixtures for next season and use it as an excuse to see some other places. I want to watch a game in Yokohama where the 2002 World Cup final was and a few other random places. 

Shinji Ono, who played for Japan at the 1998 World Cup, has announced his retirement from Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo at the age of 44:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20230927/p2g/00m/0sp/075000c

His appearances this season have mainly been restricted to cup games, but it's still one hell of an innings. 

• 2 weeks later...

Big win for Ventforet Kofu in the Asian Champions League against Buriram United the other day. They moved the game to the national stadium in Tokyo and still their fans managed to create a great atmosphere. They've got an excellent chance of getting out of their group now.

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.2622cccb808aa2b4004a0110f60ec547.png

Winter in Hokkaido sounds like great fun

The J. League said Wednesday it will push ahead with the idea of starting its soccer season in August, instead of February as it does now, a move that would bring it into line with top competitions in Europe.

The league relayed the stance in a meeting with representatives from the 60 clubs in its top three divisions. It intends to make a final decision by the end of the year.

The J. League had maintained an impartial position while holding talks with the clubs on the potential change, which would come into place in 2026 at the earliest.

There have been calls for a shift to the summer start following the reformatting of the Asian Champions League, which moved its start to September from this season.

"I've conveyed a message that we as a league are positive about the season rescheduling," J. League executive Shinji Kubota said.

The J. League expects the shift to help raise the level of performance on the pitch as fewer matches will be played in the severe summer heat. It also anticipates an increase in transfer fees by running the season in parallel with European leagues.

One of the major arguments against the move has been the impact it would have on clubs based in areas with heavy snowfall during the winter months.

A source familiar with the matter said there were a few clubs who opposed the idea.