Johnstone Burgh statement

16 minutes ago, Shanner said:

You reckon there's a chance this approach will be sustainable beyond the interest of the folk chucking the money in?

I genuinely don't know, but surely a club located in a town the size of Johnstone has some potential for growth? You or I may not like it but throwing money at football clubs sometimes works. The obvious comparison is Darvel, for all the criticism of them (much of which could be averted by putting a muzzle on John Gall), they won their league the season before last, and gained one of the biggest Scottish Cup shocks ever this year; both of which are more than 95% of non-league clubs can ever hope to achieve. So perhaps it's worth a gamble, and the guys involved with Johnstone are (presumably) spending their own money rather than that of others; so it's their choice.

You can sign players today, but can't build something overnight.

"As part of the drive towards sustainability and progress, the consortium intends to purchase the stadium, redevelop the club-house and stand, along with the installation of state-of-the-art astroturf facilities. Talks have been ongoing in the background for several months now, with a focus on how, and indeed if, the current site can be developed, an issue on which we hope to update soon. "

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I genuinely don't know, but surely a club located in a town the size of Johnstone has some potential for growth? You or I may not like it but throwing money at football clubs sometimes works. The obvious comparison is Darvel, for all the criticism of them (much of which could be averted by putting a muzzle on John Gall), they won their league the season before last, and gained one of the biggest Scottish Cup shocks ever this year; both of which are more than 95% of non-league clubs can ever hope to achieve. So perhaps it's worth a gamble, and the guys involved with Johnstone are (presumably) spending their own money rather than that of others; so it's their choice.

Flinging money at football is often the quick way to success but bringing short term success isn't the same as operating sustainabley. If Darvel had to rely on non-sugar daddy income streams their squad would look markedly different. I'd say that basing a long term operating strategy on income from blow in fans who will just as quickly bolt when the trophies dry up is badly flawed.

26 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Flinging money at football is often the quick way to success but bringing short term success isn't the same as operating sustainabley. If Darvel had to rely on non-sugar daddy income streams their squad would look markedly different. I'd say that basing a long term operating strategy on income from blow in fans who will just as quickly bolt when the trophies dry up is badly flawed.

Again, I think it's too early to judge in Johnstone's case, arguably in Darvel's too. If supporting your local team proves to be a more rewarding experience (however you define that) than following your local or not so local "big" team, some may stick with it. Off the top of my head, I don't know if Johnstone have ever been very successful in terms of trophies, so any form of success will be a big step forward for them.

ETA

On consulting Wiki I see that Burgh are both a newer club and a more successful one than I would have thought, but haven't done much of note in the last two decades. 

Edited by Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd agree with this. If a big money investor came into the Sons (if anyone is reading this with several million kicking about, my DMs are open) then the first thing I'd want would an infrastructure put in place; astro park and improvements to the stadium to get it back up to scratch. That's worth far, far more than spending a grand a week (or whatever, the amount is irrelevant) on a 36-year-old player in the longer term. Even if Lafferty and Dorrans might help get some extra interest and bodies through the door.

Fwiw, Johnstone's U20s won their Development League last year I think, so there's clearly plenty of young talent coming through. It would be a shame if they get punted out for guys coming in on big bucks.

astro park and improvements to the stadium = sustainable and long-term

£x 000 per week on guys filling their pension pots before leaving the club with existing pitch/seats/clubhouse/cover/replacements = unsustainable & short-term

58 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The idea that if a bunch of Walter Mitty investors spend their own money, 'it's their choice' and not subject to criticism is utterly risible. 

The obvious comparison is with Darvel - and Gretna too. Another 'gamble' well worth taking, as opposed to running a club for any other purpose than the self-aggrandisement of rich 'investors'. 

6 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

"the consortium intends to purchase the stadium"

Doesn't alarm bels start ringing as soon as you read these words?

Prime site for housing development are you thinking? 
Without knowing who owns the park at present it's hard to judge, but surely you can't expect the consortium to pump thousands into the infrastructure without owning it, Astro turf and the new facilities will not be cheap. 
Keanie park is in need of a full refurbishment anyway so surely they would need some future securities etc

Any Burgh fan on here able to confirm who presently owns the ground? 

Although wasn't that long ago a certain benefactor took over the old Bellshill fc ground sold it for housing and built them a nice new stadium a few miles away only to fall out with the club and kick them out if their home. So I suppose their is always a risk when it comes to investors. 

36 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

"the consortium intends to purchase the stadium"

Doesn't alarm bels start ringing as soon as you read these words?

That was the part that stood out for me as well as:

"Talks have been ongoing in the background for several months now, with a focus on how, and indeed if, the current site can be developed, an issue on which we hope to update soon."

Safeguards need to be put in place to ensure that Johnstone Burgh FC and its supporters aren't left with nothing.  

44 minutes ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

Any Burgh fan on here able to confirm who presently owns the ground? 

Although wasn't that long ago a certain benefactor took over the old Bellshill fc ground sold it for housing and built them a nice new stadium a few miles away only to fall out with the club and kick them out if their home. So I suppose their is always a risk when it comes to investors. 

Park is owned by former manager and Burgh legend that is George Walker.

The problem is that the ground was built on the site of and old rubbish tip and the land is contaminated. Consequently to develop for housing, the decontamination works have proved prohibitive in terms of cost.

Whether or not the level of works for developing to Astro, adding floodlights etc I have no idea, but explains why the statement has words along the lines of “if it can be developed”

I’d imagine alternative sites have been looked at in the event Keanie Park cannot be developed.

Just now, Johnstonian said:

The problem is that the ground was built on the site of and old rubbish tip and the land is contaminated. Consequently to develop for housing, the decontamination works have proved prohibitive in terms of cost.

Whether or not the level of works for developing to Astro, adding floodlights etc I have no idea, but explains why the statement has words along the lines of “if it can be developed”

I’d imagine alternative sites have been looked at in the event Keanie Park cannot be developed.

Ah , there's a blast from the past! Wasn't sure if George still owned it. Does he still have any involvement in the club or just owns the park? He was a character and a half! 

1 minute ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

Ah , there's a blast from the past! Wasn't sure if George still owned it. Does he still have any involvement in the club or just owns the park? He was a character and a half! 

Still comes to the odd game. George is a great guy 👍🏼

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The idea that if a bunch of Walter Mitty investors spend their own money, 'it's their choice' and not subject to criticism is utterly risible. 

The obvious comparison is with Darvel - and Gretna too. Another 'gamble' well worth taking, as opposed to running a club for any other purpose than the self-aggrandisement of rich 'investors'. 

Darvel (as unloveable as their owner undoubtedly is) have yet to do a Gretna, and neither have Burgh. I didn't say they shouldn't be criticised, but judging them on their actions, when those actions occur, is surely fair.

59 minutes ago, Johnstonian said:

I saw some local faces measuring up the pitches at Stoddart in Elderslie while walking ma dug. George will want a good price for Keanie I would imagine 

1 hour ago, Uncle Scan said:

I saw some local faces measuring up the pitches at Stoddart in Elderslie while walking ma dug. George will want a good price for Keanie I would imagine 

Funnily enough, were George to have sold KP for housing, stoddarts was where he was proposing moving the club to.

There are still a few potential sites in Johnstone, but not sure as to how feasible they’d be