Glasgow United, you know who, and GCC

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Not really the topic in question, but can someone fill me in on why Shettleston rebranded as Glasgow United? 

My granda grew up there and supported them as a kid, so I'd always kept half an eye on how they were doing. And once a year or so we'd make a pilgrimage for a game and he'd tell me stories from 19-oatcake when he was growing up watching them.

Obviously they can now GTF, but I'd been meaning to ask for a while why on earth they ditched a name rich in history and representative of an area for something straight out of the Glasgow and District U14s league.

I think it was to make the club more appealing to wider public ie east Glasgow, rather than just Shettleston and to present a non-sectarian outlook. I don't think it was really necessary on either front really and might have lead to a loss of identity. It can only have come from the owner/committee because, as has been pointed out, there's not many supporters.

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Not really the topic in question, but can someone fill me in on why Shettleston rebranded as Glasgow United? 

My granda grew up there and supported them as a kid, so I'd always kept half an eye on how they were doing. And once a year or so we'd make a pilgrimage for a game and he'd tell me stories from 19-oatcake when he was growing up watching them.

Obviously they can now GTF, but I'd been meaning to ask for a while why on earth they ditched a name rich in history and representative of an area for something straight out of the Glasgow and District U14s league.

Hugh Kelly who runs them thought changing their name to Glasgow United would give them a broader appeal. In reality all it has meant are loads of people having to answer "they used to be Shettleston " when asked where Glasgow United came from.

Edited by peasy23

31 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Hugh Kelly who runs them thought changing their name to Glasgow United would give them a broader appeal. In reality all it has meant are loads of people having to answer "they used to be Shettleston " when asked where Glasgow United came from.

"Broader appeal" that's the words I was looking for.

"Lads, let's change our name for a broader appeal!"

'Good idea!'

"Lads, let's sign a rapist!"

'Won't that absolutely shatter the appeal of the club?'

"No, we're simply offering him the same support we give any community member with issues."

'Uh..."

40 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think it was to make the club more appealing to wider public ie east Glasgow, rather than just Shettleston and to present a non-sectarian outlook. I don't think it was really necessary on either front really and might have lead to a loss of identity. It can only have come from the owner/committee because, as has been pointed out, there's not many supporters.

What was sectarian about Shettleston?

Not sure if this signing Coup will help deliver the new generation of fans they hoped for.

They'll probably have to settle for a few Twitter follows from the Men's Rights activist bros and middle aged Gammon dickhead demographics.

25 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

"Lads, let's change our name for a broader appeal!"

'Good idea!'

"Lads, let's sign a rapist!"

'Won't that absolutely shatter the appeal of the club?'

"No, we're simply offering him the same support we give any community member with issues."

'Uh..."

I was out yesterday so missed some of the news, I imagine this will have been covered already. I would say their unnamed spokesperson giving quotes to the media is doing far worse than that now.

"David Goodwillie has never been charged for this offence.

"He has no criminal record and has never appeared on any offenders' register.

"How can he show contrite or remorse for something he staunchly claims he did not do."

and

"This witch hunt has gone on for far too long and the use of any person's life as a political football is unacceptable."

https://news.sky.com/story/david-goodwillie-glasgow-united-wont-walk-away-from-rapist-footballer-12926624

52 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I was out yesterday so missed some of the news, I imagine this will have been covered already. I would say their unnamed spokesperson giving quotes to the media is doing far worse than that now.

"David Goodwillie has never been charged for this offence.

"He has no criminal record and has never appeared on any offenders' register.

"How can he show contrite or remorse for something he staunchly claims he did not do."

and

"This witch hunt has gone on for far too long and the use of any person's life as a political football is unacceptable."

https://news.sky.com/story/david-goodwillie-glasgow-united-wont-walk-away-from-rapist-footballer-12926624

They also claimed they were supporting him with 'mental health issues' - totally not his fault...

I just couldn't really work everything into that post.

The rebrand seems strange to me, Shettleston Juniors were probably as well known as a junior club in Glasgow could be, and the whole reason behind a rebrand like that seems to be in contradiction with a controversial (big understatement)  signing such as Goodwillie. None of the weirdos online applauding them for their stance on DG will actually be attending a game. 

28 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Maybe I overstated that bit but United being included was to indicate unity for all races and religions.

O.K.