Heart of Midlothian in Europe 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

10 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Typically, the crowd's response is shaped by the events on the field. 

Try telling that to the PAOK supporters and other European clubs who’re still noisy as f**k even when there team got behind or are struggling.

Pains me to say it but Hearts supporters are particularly guilty of going flat quick quickly if things aren’t going right on the park 

Edited by Unleash The Nade

24 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I felt you battered PAOK at times. Battered is perhaps too strong, but certainly on the offensive much more.

Ok, so if we “ battered “ then at times what’s to stop us doing it again over there ?

This is the kind of defeatist mentality I’m talking about 

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Keep seeing comments like this and other threads on how “Scottish Clubs don’t do well in Europe “

Personally I think a lot of this is to you with the amount of fucking negativity displayed by supporters before the game which is tbh is a Scottish trait .

Many of the comments on this thread had us defeated last night before a ball was kicked .

They were no great shakes and like I said earlier , imo a weaker team that Rosenborg.

Far too many sweetie wrapper rustling cnuts at the football these days who don’t get behind their team and are too interested in sooking through their pack of Weathers Originals instead of voicing their support .

Negativity breeds negativity and this  was apparent in some parts of the game last night when the crowd went totally flat 

They were miles better than Rosenborg. Rosenborg were rubbish apart from the young boy in midfield and the Canadian forward who missed the second leg. PAOK knocked the ball about nicely when given the chance, and defence aside clearly had superior players to Hearts, but Hearts managed to play the game on their own terms which is exactly what they needed to do.

27 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Ok, so if we “ battered “ then at times what’s to stop us doing it again over there ?

This is the kind of defeatist mentality I’m talking about 

Because it's a different prospect going away to Greece to a more talented team than it is playing at home at Tynecastle.

It's not impossible that you will get a result but the likely result is that you'll be out. Not earth shattering stuff here.

2 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Keep seeing comments like this and other threads on how “Scottish Clubs don’t do well in Europe “

Personally I think a lot of this is to you with the amount of fucking negativity displayed by supporters before the game which is tbh is a Scottish trait .

Many of the comments on this thread had us defeated last night before a ball was kicked .

They were no great shakes and like I said earlier , imo a weaker team that Rosenborg.

Far too many sweetie wrapper rustling cnuts at the football these days who don’t get behind their team and are too interested in sooking through their pack of Weathers Originals instead of voicing their support .

Negativity breeds negativity and this  was apparent in some parts of the game last night when the crowd went totally flat 

Sorry, too thrown by the fact you seriously thought that PAOK team was weaker than Rosenborg to really engage with the idea that professional football players will play poorly in games and are more likely to lose if fans are negative before the game is played.

54 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Sorry, too thrown by the fact you seriously thought that PAOK team was weaker than Rosenborg to really engage with the idea that professional football players will play poorly in games and are more likely to lose if fans are negative before the game is played.

The negativity shown by many before the game , grows arms and legs and the people start believing it’s a forgone conclusion before a ball  is kicked .

This is the reflected by the support during the game, which transmits to the players .

Its a Scottish thing 
We’re eternal pessimists 

Edited by Unleash The Nade

6 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

1530701170292.jpeg

Glad to see you have found your sense of humour again after last nights red dotting session.

I just cant see it with Boyce (in the same way I cant see it with certain Hibs players that others appear to rate).

Its not a Hearts thing - e.g. I think that boy you had from Wigan - the tattooed freak - was a better target man type than Boycie.

Just my opinion tho.

Good luck in Greece

12 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Glad to see you have found your sense of humour again after last nights red dotting session.

I just cant see it with Boyce (in the same way I cant see it with certain Hibs players that others appear to rate).

Its not a Hearts thing - e.g. I think that boy you had from Wigan - the tattooed freak - was a better target man type than Boycie.

Just my opinion tho.

Good luck in Greece

Humphrys wasn't a target man at all - no back to goal game whatsoever and very rarely used his physicality. He was a decent finisher and had a bit of pace but that was about it.

Boyce frustrates at times when he hangs onto the ball too long but he's a smarter player and much more likely to make the ball stick up front than Humphrys.

Didn't watch the match but going by the highlights Hearts appeared unfortunate to lose against a good POAK side. Shankland should have done better to stay onside for his disallowed goal. That Vargas lad looks a good player. Great strike to win it.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Because it's a different prospect going away to Greece to a more talented team than it is playing at home at Tynecastle.

It's not impossible that you will get a result but the likely result is that you'll be out. Not earth shattering stuff here.

Not earth shattering, but also a negative , defeatist , attitude.

Why waste time playing European clubs at all, instead of just giving them an automatic bye?

On 25/08/2023 at 14:21, Unleash The Nade said:

The negativity shown by many before the game , grows arms and legs and the people start believing it’s a forgone conclusion before a ball  is kicked .

This is the reflected by the support during the game, which transmits to the players .

Its a Scottish thing 
We’re eternal pessimists 

This is one of the least defendable claims on here recently, imo - and not even applicable to the PAOK game even if it were true (which it isn't), where the support were roaring Hearts on from the start.

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

This is one of the least defendable claims on here recently, imo - and not even applicable to the PAOK game even if it were true (which it isn't), where the support were roaring Hearts on from the start.

The game lasted 90 minutes plus.

Yes the support were very vocal at times but also sat on their hands at other times .

I can understand a support going quiet when their teams getting pumped , but we weren’t and we’re at home where we should’ve taken full advantage .

If you want an example of what I’m talking about , watch the return leg on Thursday night . 

Last year's defensive issues seem to be this year's midfield issues. Absolutely no idea what we're going to do in there tomorrow given we've left Grant out of the squad. Do we have to play Halliday?

17 hours ago, DC92 said:

Last year's defensive issues seem to be this year's midfield issues. Absolutely no idea what we're going to do in there tomorrow given we've left Grant out of the squad. Do we have to play Halliday?

Leaving Grant out when Haring, Nieuwenhof and Beni weren't fit is plain stupidity.  He might not be your top choice but it forces us into either Halliday or a defender in the middle which simply isn't good enough. 

17 hours ago, DC92 said:

After Cochrane and Sibbick getting a shot at CM he will probably try Rowles there, he cant be any worse than he is at CB at the moment !!!