Queens v Alloa

The referee on Saturday was awful. Inconsistent and incapable of using common sense. Okay refs get it wrong sometimes, often in the case of the one on Saturday, but it's the lack of consistency that annoys fans. Crawley, who I like, should have been booked, or red carded, for laying his hands on the referee (not in the biblical sense!) when he awarded the second penalty. But he got off with that and an earlier bad foul not long after a Queens player had been carded for an innocuous push. And Assistant Referees are of little help. Most don't award a throw in until they see what the referee is going to give. 

31 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm an old git now so my eyes do deceive me a bit at the games (and I'm far too lazy to read the detail of the rule book - happy for you guys out there to correct me), but looking at the video Todd is just about to pull the trigger when Virtanen (?) takes him out and the keeper is nowhere near favourite to get there.  If that's not a DOGSO (shooting opportunity in the middle of the box when through on the keeper) then I don't know what is.  I'm unclear about the double jeopardy reference there - maybe you can explain it to me.  A red might have affected the outcome, who knows - possibly not as we were just so utterly pish in defence and we got what we deserved - zip.

I have already agreed that our second penalty is a complete joke - the defender did his best to keep his hands down but at that range what else could he do?  I'm sure the ref did what the rule book tells him to do, but still a daft rule, has to go.  Needs to be a positive, intentional movement of the hand to the ball.

Don't think Todd is. It's a deceiving ball through and I think it goes beyond Todd close to Ogayi before contact is made. Immaterial anyway as @Homer Thompsonhas pointed out, double jeopardy is getting penalised with a penalty and a sending off. You don't get that anymore - it's either a red outside the box or a penalty and a yellow inside. The ref didn't even do what was in his rulebook which says about handballs:

considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.

After the opening to our season I was surprised at just how comfortable in that game we were. Long may it continue especially against Stirling on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Rules were changed last year (or year before) - if it’s DOGSO in the box then a penalty and yellow card should be awarded IF the player has made a genuine attempt at the ball. 

Basically if it looks like you’ve tried to make a genuine tackle it should be yellow but if you rugby tackle the guy then it should still be red. Unfortunately, that bit goes down to referees interpretation of the challenge although he was spot on with Virtanen’s one. 

Thanks for the explanation, cheers.

Personally, I think its another daft rule - if a player gets chopped down in the box preventing a clear GSO and there is no other defender providing cover then that should be a red, genuine attempt or not.  Not what the rules say, OK I get that now.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Noticed on a few occasions on  Saturday that Alloa players playing the ball over our defence for wide men to run on to managed to shape it or put spin on it to take the bounce out on landing. Don't know if its something they work on or are just good at it. We constantly overhit passes for front men to run on to. 

Wait? You're telling me thumping the ball forward isn't the answer to our problems?! The East Stand won't be happy with this news...

14 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

The referee on Saturday was awful. Inconsistent and incapable of using common sense. Okay refs get it wrong sometimes, often in the case of the one on Saturday, but it's the lack of consistency that annoys fans. Crawley, who I like, should have been booked, or red carded, for laying his hands on the referee (not in the biblical sense!) when he awarded the second penalty. But he got off with that and an earlier bad foul not long after a Queens player had been carded for an innocuous push. And Assistant Referees are of little help. Most don't award a throw in until they see what the referee is going to give. 

One of my pet hates with linesmen is when they give a throw-in when the ball partially goes out of play. It happened twice on Saturday, one for Alloa and one for ourselves. The ball was nowhere near being fully out yet the throw-ins were given. 

7 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don't think Todd is. It's a deceiving ball through and I think it goes beyond Todd close to Ogayi before contact is made. Immaterial anyway as @Homer Thompsonhas pointed out, double jeopardy is getting penalised with a penalty and a sending off. You don't get that anymore - it's either a red outside the box or a penalty and a yellow inside. The ref didn't even do what was in his rulebook which says about handballs:

considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.

After the opening to our season I was surprised at just how comfortable in that game we were. Long may it continue especially against Stirling on Saturday.

Still don't see the keeper as "favourite" to get there - but we'll have to agree to disagree on that (which is fine, that's fitba).

Alloa were decent, no argument and Rodden was MOTM - but we were a total shambles defensively in that first half.  You're not going to come up against that level of defensive incompetence in the other 35 games (I hope - in the case of 3 of them anyway ...).

39 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

That's just not true.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wait? You're telling me thumping the ball forward isn't the answer to our problems?! The East Stand won't be happy with this news...

One of my pet hates with linesmen is when they give a throw-in when the ball partially goes out of play. It happened twice on Saturday, one for Alloa and one for ourselves. The ball was nowhere near being fully out yet the throw-ins were given. 

😁      

"Get the baw up the pitch!"

"Get rid of it!"

Two of Pep's favourite coaching phrases.

Yeah, normally I stick up for the ref and assistants (mainly because they are right nine times out of ten), but this certainly happens quite regularly. I suspect it's an unofficial instruction to avoid fans screaming that the ball is out when it's only, say, 80% over the line. 

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

😁      

"Get the baw up the pitch!"

"Get rid of it!"

Two of Pep's favourite coaching phrases.

Yeah, normally I stick up for the ref and assistants (mainly because they are right nine times out of ten), but this certainly happens quite regularly. I suspect it's an unofficial instruction to avoid fans screaming that the ball is out when it's only, say, 80% over the line. 

I thought the officials were just about OK, a couple of things I didn't agree with but that's fitba. I also didn't agree with the first penalty card colour or the award of the second penalty but as has been pointed out on here the ref was just following the rules as laid out so can't blame him for that.