St Mirren V Dundee

17 minutes ago, Lalo said:

Was definitely an exaggeration on my part but the majority of people I know from Lochee are Celtic/kiddy on Celtic fans. Unfortunately a few of them do definitely call it Little Tipperary, probably in jest but it is in reference to how the area was known historically. 

True, ironically I know a few Celtic fans who drink in there

Unfortunately the Dee Club is not the hotbed of Dundee fans that it once was. I've seen them taking anything from 8-10 busloads of fans to away games in the past (admittedly normally during good cup runs and not league games)

1 hour ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Well we're already two points clear of you! 

Just think, if we win this and Dundee lose, we'll be FIVE points ahead of them after just two games. 😄  Hopefully Hibs beat youse, too... 

Calm down my good sir. We all know that Dundee are winning this game and we will beat Hibs to restore the natural order. We shall never again accept a season finishing below our Paisley chums. 

Who was the Dundee player who was in my opinion dealt with extremely harshly by the SFA for some religious proclamation after scoring at the Love St end?

Yet the SFA and the SPFL turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the bigots supporting the OF?

8 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Who was the Dundee player who was in my opinion dealt with extremely harshly by the SFA for some religious proclamation after scoring at the Love St end?

Yet the SFA and the SPFL turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the bigots supporting the OF?

Juan Sara perhaps?

Edit: it was...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/1151753.stm

Edited by johnnydun

For avoidance of doubt.

All non-OF fans are welcome to have a beer pre or post match in Paisley alongside Saints fans regardless of the score. 

Have a safe trip through to Paisley.

We just hope you leave………….

IMG_3507.thumb.jpeg.450a294ec97f06b0ceae0f7f07eb0fef.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Molotov said:

For avoidance of doubt.

All non-OF fans are welcome to have a beer pre or post match in Paisley alongside Saints fans regardless of the score. 

Have a safe trip through to Paisley.

We just hope you leave………….

IMG_3507.thumb.jpeg.450a294ec97f06b0ceae0f7f07eb0fef.jpeg

As a Motherwell fan i know that non OF fans claim is not true. I’ve had more than a few ropey visits to Paisley. Scottish cup game back in the day when Charlie Adam scored sticks in my mind. Back when they sold tickets out of an old burger van at the away end.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

Very close. We got seriously into debt after dispensing with the services of Alex Smith in 1988. 
Sold Ian Ferguson to Rangers and Smith was not given the opportunity to reinvest. 
What was to follow was a car crash. 
I do wonder whether things would have worked out differently had we stuck by Smith. 
Hey ho. 
Water under the bridge. We will never know.
It took us decades to recover and without selling Love Street in a remarkable deal we could have gone down the route of other clubs regard’s administration or worse. 

That isn’t true.

Smith signed the likes of Brian Martin and Mike Conroy immediately after we sold Ferguson and was sacked not long after in order to try and avoid relegation with 3 games to go (which we did by beating Hearts at Tynecastle)

We then sold Winnie, Hamilton and Cameron for big money as well and, along with the Fergie money, had about £2 million in the bank. 

Tony Fitzpatrick wasted most of that on the likes of Wishart, Manley, Stickroth, Archibald, Victor, Kinnaird, Weir, etc (Torfason being one the few decent signings). We also seated the North Bank

He was then sacked and we had the opportunity to appoint Alex McDonald. Instead we appointed Davie Hay while McDonald ended up  at Airdrie. Hay wasted what was left plus more on the likes of Elliot, Charnley, Aitken, Reid and Baillie and we were relegated.

We didn’t come straight back up and we’re then in deep shit.

The final straw was building the new Caledonia Street stand with Bill Barr threatening to call in the debts.

Stewart Gilmour stepped in and him and his new board saved the club with a rights share issue.’

But we still had debts and didn’t get back on an even keel until we sold Love Street

Edited by Captain_Sensible

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

How on earth did we manage to beat that Dundee side with that side?

McKenzie, Rudden and Bowman must rank as one if the worst midfield line ups in our history!

Balatacha in defence and Quitongo up front with a fat Yardley, jeez! 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

11 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

How on earth did we manage to beat that Dundee side with that side?

McKenzie, Rudden and Bowman must rank as one if the worst midfield line ups in our history!

Balatacha in defence and Quitongo up front with a fat Yardley, jeez! 

Paul Rudden was very unlucky not to make it in the game. Believe he got badly injured in a freak accident on holiday with a mirror falling that wrecked several nerve endings in his back and he was never the same again.

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

That isn’t true.

Smith signed the likes of Brian Martin and Mike Conroy immediately after we sold Ferguson and was sacked not long after in order to try and avoid relegation with 3 games to go (which we did by beating Hearts at Tynecastle)

We then sold Winnie, Hamilton and Cameron for big money as well and, along with the Fergie money, had about £2 million in the bank. 

Tony Fitzpatrick wasted most of that on the likes of Wishart, Manley, Stickroth, Archibald, Victor, Kinnaird, Weir, etc (Torfason being one the few decent signings). We also seated the North Bank

He was then sacked and we had the opportunity to appoint Alex McDonald. Instead we appointed Davie Hay while McDonald ended up  at Airdrie. Hay wasted what was left plus more on the likes of Elliot, Charnley, Aitken, Reid and Baillie and we were relegated.

We didn’t come straight back up and we’re then in deep shit.

The final straw was building the new Caledonia Street stand with Bill Barr threatening to call in the debts.

Stewart Gilmour stepped in and him and his new board saved the club with a rights share issue.’

But we still had debts and didn’t get back on an even keel until we sold Love Street

You forgot to mention the directors in the mid-nineties re-mortgaging their houses to stave off the debtors.

There was a period then when the Clydesdale bank threatened to pull the plug on the club weekly.

Archibald was on £5K a game FFS!

I'm sure we paid £400K for Stickroth too.

Edited by FTOF

52 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Paul Rudden was very unlucky not to make it in the game. Believe he got badly injured in a freak accident on holiday with a mirror falling that wrecked several nerve endings in his back and he was never the same again.

Yeh, it was more McKenzie and Bowman who were hopeless 

We had another boy at that time,  Colin Drew, who I thought was going to be a player but ended up having to give up through injury

I remember these guys coming through along with McNamee and O’Brien? It was a decent group! 

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Yeh, it was more McKenzie and Bowman who were hopeless 

We had another boy at that time,  Colin Drew, who I thought was going to be a player but ended up having to give up through injury

I remember these guys coming through along with McNamee and O’Brien? It was a decent group! 

Colin Drew was unlucky as well. He wasn't as talented as footballer as Paul Rudden but would have made a good career for himself. 

Chris Kerr was also in that group, another promising player who had his career ruined by Tokely.

Its only now you realise how important the youth system in the 90s was. Fees for guys like Lavety, Gillies, O'Brien/McNamee kept us solvent.

Not to mention the home grown players in the millennium champions squad like McGarry, Murray etc.

I really hope Robbo starts to blood a few more in the months to come. 

14 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Chris Kerr was also in that group, another promising player who had his career ruined by Tokely.

Its only now you realise how important the youth system in the 90s was. Fees for guys like Lavety, Gillies, O'Brien/McNamee kept us solvent.

Not to mention the home grown players in the millennium champions squad like McGarry, Murray etc.

I really hope Robbo starts to blood a few more in the months to come. 

Jamie Fullarton, Brian Hetherston, Paul Archdeacon and even Chris Iwelumo! 

4 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Any nonsense spouted about the stand being on the site of a former dairy is that, complete and utter nonsense.

I've never heard anyone say Dens was on the site of a former dairy but rather that the dairy was to the south (southwest really), where the DPM (Dundee Pasteurised Milk) Park is now. Ergo the south stand/terrace became the dairy end.

image.thumb.png.08a6a3afb6fa4111695f9f1b85c87b39.png

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

I've never heard anyone say Dens was on the site of a former dairy but rather that the dairy was to the south (southwest really), where the DPM (Dundee Pasteurised Milk) Park is now. Ergo the south stand/terrace became the dairy end.

Should be singing “hello hello we are the Dundee bakery boys” going by the map 😆

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

There’s a bakery nearer to Dens than the dairy. Your stand should surely be the pain-o-chocolat almond croissant stand.