QP v Arbroath - Arbroath v QP

19 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

On Saturday there was virtually no pressure put on Tizzard, Fox and McKenna and QP seemed to fairly comfortably control midfield.  

I agree and yet Arbroath had one shot - one goal, a poor one to lose from our point of view. 

Hopefully, a lesson learned, and we earn our first clean sheet of the season. 

2-0 for the Queen's as we have enough about us to win comfortably. 

Thinking about the lineup for Saturday, think the only change that’ll be made would be McPherson in for Longridge. Again, Longridge has done absolutely nothing wrong but if McPherson is going to be right back across the season, we need him starting in these types of games to see how he copes. I really liked what I seen of him on Saturday. 

Given that Robbie Ure is training with us, hopefully he’ll be signed up before Saturday. Desperately need another option up top to relieve some pressure off Paton as the season progresses 

14 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Thinking about the lineup for Saturday, think the only change that’ll be made would be McPherson in for Longridge. Again, Longridge has done absolutely nothing wrong but if McPherson is going to be right back across the season, we need him starting in these types of games to see how he copes. I really liked what I seen of him on Saturday. 

Given that Robbie Ure is training with us, hopefully he’ll be signed up before Saturday. Desperately need another option up top to relieve some pressure off Paton as the season progresses 

Ure would be an incredible signing given the only reason he didn't end up with AZ Alkmaar was down to not meeting the wages required to get a permit. 

I wonder if the big story of the week re numerous English clubs showing interest in Callan McKenna will be enough to reinstate Ferrie for this one. McPherson certainly to start but maybe with Healy as his wing partner. Other than that, no tinkering required.

Weather looks fair and I’d expect the Gayfield pitch to be healthy at this time so anything less than victory would be a disappointment.

Planning to bring my snare drum, hi-hat and cowbell…I’m sure Arbroath stewards will be groovy about it. Nice!

18 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I wonder if the big story of the week re numerous English clubs showing interest in Callan McKenna will be enough to reinstate Ferrie for this one. McPherson certainly to start but maybe with Healy as his wing partner. Other than that, no tinkering required.

Weather looks fair and I’d expect the Gayfield pitch to be healthy at this time so anything less than victory would be a disappointment.

Planning to bring my snare drum, hi-hat and cowbell…I’m sure Arbroath stewards will be groovy about it. Nice!

Unless he’s agreed terms and about to go, I’d imagine every game we choose to start McKenna would be increasing the number the club are hoping to get for him.

18 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

To be fair I have made a habit of looking up the weather days to a week before every fixture at Gayfield and it’s never the most reliable. Especially for the 3pm kick offs, evening fixtures the weather definitely seems to usually be calm but never know what’s gonna happen 3pm Saturdays. Kind of hoping it’s terrible, would take any advantage I could.

13mph winds gusting up to 24 could actually be pretty windy. Depends on how gusty it is. Shouldn’t be too bad though

It is usually a farce whenever anything over 20mph with gusts up to mid 30s is forecast. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Ure would be an incredible signing given the only reason he didn't end up with AZ Alkmaar was down to not meeting the wages required to get a permit. 

Yeah on the face of it, I’d be incredibly satisfied to have Ure and Paton as our strikers especially if we could get Ure on a multi year contract like Paton. 

Hopefully the development fee isn’t too high but given he’s training with us, i’m assuming the club are already aware of the potential figure, therefore hopefully willing to pay it 

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be fair I have made a habit of looking up the weather days to a week before every fixture at Gayfield and it’s never the most reliable. Especially for the 3pm kick offs, evening fixtures the weather definitely seems to usually be calm but never know what’s gonna happen 3pm Saturdays. Kind of hoping it’s terrible, would take any advantage I could.

13mph winds gusting up to 24 could actually be pretty windy. Depends on how gusty it is. Shouldn’t be too bad though

It is usually a farce whenever anything over 20mph with gusts up to mid 30s is forecast. 

Would the wind necessarily be an advantage for Arbroath, given we tend to play relatively short, quick passes along the deck? The ball is very rarely in the air, and I'm sure we could adjust and limit that even further if necessary. Our corners are already terrible so that's not much of a concern...

I wonder if longer grass at Gayfield might be an issue for us? Dick and at least one of his players commented that the well watered, quick pitch at Lesser suited our style of play. Surely Arbroath wouldn’t leave the grass on the long side to slow the game down?

13 minutes ago, el jubilado said:

I wonder if longer grass at Gayfield might be an issue for us? Dick and at least one of his players commented that the well watered, quick pitch at Lesser suited our style of play. Surely Arbroath wouldn’t leave the grass on the long side to slow the game down?

You could argue that we keep our pitch in normal condition, and its QP who deliberately overwater and unethically cut their grass too short.  

55 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Would the wind necessarily be an advantage for Arbroath, given we tend to play relatively short, quick passes along the deck? The ball is very rarely in the air, and I'm sure we could adjust and limit that even further if necessary. Our corners are already terrible so that's not much of a concern...

Last season the wind was pretty strong for one of the games. I was surprised that we coped better than Arbroath. 

1 minute ago, spiders4ever said:

Last season the wind was pretty strong for one of the games. I was surprised that we coped better than Arbroath. 

Yeah the weather was horrific during the game just before Christmas and we still managed to play some really nice football that night 

I guess its my turn to make the usual match thread Arbroath fan statement.

Gayfield isn't that windy.  It gets the occasional windy day, but they really aren't that frequent.  There's maybe a game or two per season that is comically windy, but that is about it.  Its not like a plastic pitch or choosing to play every Friday for sporting advantage, when the home team have familiarity on their side, our team does not train up at Arbroath, and we are not playing in a gale every week.  Most games at Gayfield are played in barely a breath of wind.

6 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Yeah the weather was horrific during the game just before Christmas and we still managed to play some really nice football that night 

That was a masterclass in how to play in adverse conditions.

I remember thinking at half time that we had a chance as we had the wind in the second half. However QP keep the ball on the ground and just passed and moved us off the park. What did we do - hoof it, route 1 pish.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

It tends to make the game more of a lottery anyway. 

But f**k knows. I’m clutching at straws.

We’ve got plenty of players that can play football but we decide not to for some reason. 

The pitch on Saturday was a bit of a joke to be honest, genuine puddles on it and players falling about all over the place. Was soaked through and some genius thought it would be a good idea to put the sprinklers on again at half time

Edited by 1320Lichtie

One thing I would  say / nobody seems to have commented on - the amount of times our players lost their footing and slipped on Saturday , versus the amount of times QP players did. It was non stop for us . Obviously the watering of the pitch plays a massive part in this but surely does boot / stud selection. Nobody seemed to remedy this and it was same players slipping in second half again ?