QP v Arbroath - Arbroath v QP

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

Reference Spider's Talk, Marjin Becker talked of wide crosses having a goal success rate of 1 in 20. Gaston is a decent 'keeper and while I appreciate Fox stating previously he'd like to get a few more goals via headers and, much as I like him, Tizzard doesn't seem to have posesd much of an aerial threat so far, I'd have thought that given our style of play, more use would have been made of shorter corners played to feet to keep the pressure on. 

I was thinking about that comment/stat this morning. I took it as a reference to crosses from open play rather than dead balls but it might have been both, although you’d expect better deliveries from a dead ball. We had a lot of crosses yesterday, mostly low balls, from wide play. Sadly, mostly of the type of placing the ball into a zone rather than looking up for a specific player. They’ll get more out of Paton when they start getting the ball to his feet.

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

I like Tizzard a lot. He’s quite clearly not the finished article which is expected but immediately after a couple games, he’s got the raw attributes to be a very very good defender at this level. I think the booking early doors affected his game a bit and taking him off after Arbroath’s equaliser was probably the right decision. It was key to not have players on the pitch with their head gone in that moment

Thought Fox was exceptional yesterday and looks back to the player we all know he is. Knowing he’s now tied down for 2 years is superb 

Agree fully on the Fox part, not so much on Tizzard. I spotted his poor position immediately and he seemed completely unaware of the lad who pushed forward. He was also ballwatching after that and missed the player who scored. Plus the bizarre passback incidents. Not a great day. I’d like to see Bannon and Reid getting a share of the time. 

On the upside, Ben McPherson stepped in to the game like he’d been playing with us for a full season. Friends at Celtic tell me he’s very effective both defending and attacking. As I mentioned previously, Robson’s attacking game is a good fit for this team as we saw yesterday and I’d expect these two to start regularly in either a 442 or 343 set up.

I reckon most opponents had figured us out in the second quarter of last season. This season, I doubt if any team in this league can adapt to our way of attacking. The transition play from back to front is spectacular and will only get faster. Ball retention, accuracy of passing and ball recovery all very good already. And the bonus of having younger players is they don’t bring the baggage that some elders being with them. Increase the conversion of opportunities and we’ll do very well this term. 

46 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I was thinking about that comment/stat this morning. I took it as a reference to crosses from open play rather than dead balls but it might have been both, although you’d expect better deliveries from a dead ball. We had a lot of crosses yesterday, mostly low balls, from wide play. Sadly, mostly of the type of placing the ball into a zone rather than looking up for a specific player. They’ll get more out of Paton when they start getting the ball to his feet.

On reflection it probably was, given in open play it's unlikely, (unless you have a monster/unit of a number 9 egHately, Sutton, Haaland etc to aim at), that either of the CB's will have made it up that far....other than at corners.  Either way, it'd have been nice to see a bit of variation. 

20 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Agree fully on the Fox part, not so much on Tizzard. I spotted his poor position immediately and he seemed completely unaware of the lad who pushed forward. He was also ballwatching after that and missed the player who scored. Plus the bizarre passback incidents. Not a great day. I’d like to see Bannon and Reid getting a share of the time. 

On the upside, Ben McPherson stepped in to the game like he’d been playing with us for a full season. Friends at Celtic tell me he’s very effective both defending and attacking. As I mentioned previously, Robson’s attacking game is a good fit for this team as we saw yesterday and I’d expect these two to start regularly in either a 442 or 343 set up.

I reckon most opponents had figured us out in the second quarter of last season. This season, I doubt if any team in this league can adapt to our way of attacking. The transition play from back to front is spectacular and will only get faster. Ball retention, accuracy of passing and ball recovery all very good already. And the bonus of having younger players is they don’t bring the baggage that some elders being with them. Increase the conversion of opportunities and we’ll do very well this term. 

Thought Reid played really well against Livvy, when paired with Tizzard, he looked really comfortable playing out from the back, (albeit there were some 'interesting' moments in that match between the GK and CB's)....I hope he gets some game-time soon.  

You're quite right, (and it's gone un-noticed/un-commented on so far), Robson looked back to his best, like he did last year pre-Murray's departure...his link up play with Dom Thomas was really eye-catching and they both deserved at least a goal each.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Is the old statistic that only 2% of corners that are crossed in end up as a goal?

5 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Great highlights. We’re well on track to scoring some very sexy goals this season…

Didn’t realise quite how far out of position Tizzard was for the goal - not even close to playing him offside. Hooked straight away and looked to me like he huffed straight into dressing room. One to watch there.  

I was sitting right in line with him at the time and noticed it straight away, he seemed to just be ball watching as they broke forward and played the number 14 miles onside. Then neither he or McPherson either looked to see where the number 9 was until it was too late and he was getting his shot away.

I did wonder if that's why he was subbed as I hadn't noticed Bannon getting ready beforehand.

I'm sure this will be highlighted when they watch it back, and they'll learn from it and be more aware the next time.

Other than that, it was a very encouraging performance all round.

3 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Is the old statistic that only 2% of corners that are crossed in end up as a goal?

Dug this out from the EPL. Might be higher due to the physical nature of that League. I’d be more interested in the number for attacking wingers tbh. 

Corner-kicks Over the last 18 seasons, corner-kicks have produced between 9.8 per cent and 14.2 per cent of all Premier League goals. During 2021/22, that figure stood at a healthy 13.6 per cent, the second-highest share in a decade. Overall, 146 goals were scored from corners this season, a rise of 12 from 2020/21 and the joint second-highest on record.

3 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

You're quite right, (and it's gone un-noticed/un-commented on so far), Robson looked back to his best, like he did last year pre-Murray's departure...his link up play with Dom Thomas was really eye-catching and they both deserved at least a goal each.

Tommy got a bit of a raw deal last season. Coyle switched Dom to the right to compensate for the weakness in the RB position and consequently Tommy’s flank partner was a lucky dip each week with players who weren’t even close to Dom’s level. With McPherson in place and better looking options from Hepburn, Healy or Rocco in front of him it looks like the Tommy and Dommy show is back in town. Goals will come soon.

Feeling very encouraged by what the team are showing these last few games. We may not be firing on all cylinders in front of goal yet but the momentum is clearly building.

I'm trying not to sound over- confident but we already had some really useful players and all of the latest additions to the squad are making us look like a team that is going to be both entertaining to watch and hopefully competing at the right end of the table come next May. Jack Spong's link-up play has been great to see. I reckon Ruari Paton could end up scoring (think of a number, then add on your birthday) goals this season! 

Off the pitch, a wee bit of additional signage has made a limited improvement to the appearance of Stanley Kubrick's gazebo, but saying that, thankfully we won't have to look at it again for quite some time!

1 hour ago, Spider Rico said:

So no access to terracing for QP fans on Saturday.

Does this often happen for smaller supports? 

Usually find when this happens it just means there is no segregation. Should be able to stand behind the goal you are shooting to in both halves.

7 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Usually find when this happens it just means there is no segregation. Should be able to stand behind the goal you are shooting to in both halves.

Really?

There’s definitely segregation, QP are getting 2.5 sections of the stand and enter through turnstyle 1. There will be a fence at the side of the stand stopping them going onto the terracing. Same for the Cove games last season.

20 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Really?

There’s definitely segregation, QP are getting 2.5 sections of the stand and enter through turnstyle 1. There will be a fence at the side of the stand stopping them going onto the terracing. Same for the Cove games last season.

Trust this is true and you are not being petty.

8 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Trust this is true and you are not being petty.

Petty?

As far as a can recall, the last time we had a non segregated league game was the opening game of season 21/22 v ICT and there was some minor crowd trouble.

The following is straight from the horse’s mouth:

162DE06F-4C0D-4388-BEFC-26739365C0B6.png

Edited by Tattie36

6 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Segregation is fair enough but I don't think I can ever remember Arbroath not giving us access to any of the terrace, even back in the days when the entire home and away crowd could have fit in the stand.

Understand that it’s nice to have the option but we got to the situation 2/3 season’s ago where we were giving half the ground to supports sometimes numbering no more than 100-300. This annoyed many of us as traditionally we would swap ends at half time.

Now a team with a larger support - so this season probably only United, Dunfermline and maybe Partick, will get 50/50 terracing with a small part of the stand; some with smaller but still a few hundred travelling supports will get behind the goals and part of the stand. That leaves teams that won’t bring more than 100-200, so probably only QP and maybe ICT this season, and Cove and Accies last season, only getting part of the stand.

Can’t see why it would be an issue for anyone as most grounds shoehorn visiting fans into corners or parts of stands etc anyway.

I always thought we were far too generous - it’s our home game after all and our fans should be priority.

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Understand that it’s nice to have the option but we got to the situation 2/3 season’s ago where we were giving half the ground to supports sometimes numbering no more than 100-300. This annoyed many of us as traditionally we would swap ends at half time.

Now a team with a larger support - so this season probably only United, Dunfermline and maybe Partick, will get 50/50 terracing with a small part of the stand; some with smaller but still a few hundred travelling supports will get behind the goals and part of the stand. That leaves teams that won’t bring more than 100-200, so probably only QP and maybe ICT this season, and Cove and Accies last season, only getting part of the stand.

Can’t see why it would be an issue for anyone as most grounds shoehorn visiting fans into corners or parts of stands etc anyway.

I always thought we were far too generous - it’s our home game after all and our fans should be priority.

Absolutely agree that Arbroath are well within their rights to do that, it's just very disappointing as a visiting fan. I always enjoyed the old terrace, it was my favourite part about the trip to Gayfield, and (not that I expect anyone to care) I'm now in two minds about going at all given we have 3 away games in a row.

Edited by Zanetti

4 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Absolutely agree that Arbroath are well within their rights to do that, it's just very disappointing as a visiting fan. I always enjoyed the old terrace, it was my favourite part about visiting Gayfield, and (not that I expect anyone to care) I'm now in two minds about going at all given we have 3 away trips in a row.

Totally get that. What we’ve done in the past, including the last game v Accies last season and occasionally before that, was give part of the stand and the uncovered terrace adjacent to it, up to the corner flag. It’s a good compromise and gives fans the option of standing if they prefer.

Maybe it’ll be that on Saturday although the post from the club indicates that it’s just the stand.

In an ideal world there would be no segregation and we could all move around freely as in the past, but with being in the Championship and with our home support having trebled in recent years it’s not going back to that anytime soon… hopefully.

Edited by Tattie36