Scotland squad October

Craigieboy

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I would expect to see Cooper come back in and Anderson drop out, and there's a chance that Tierney and Jack will be called up despite their injuries. Shankland the other one most likely to drop out. I also wouldn't be massively shocked to see Doak get called up for this camp, or Jacob Brown might get a recall. 

Doak has already been named in the U21 squad.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well yes, but only if there are injuries to forwards. What I meant was he obviously isn’t going to be named in the squad if he’s already been named in the U21s. 👍

Why not?

2 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Nothing against Doak but hasn't he just had 2 underwhelming starts for Liverpool? Not sure why he'd be considered for the main squad, particularly as we don't really play with wingers.

Not really - one where he wasn’t really too involved in a generally awful Liverpool performance and then a good performance against Leicester.

He played up front for the 21’s and was excellent at getting the team up the park. I imagine if he was to get game time it would be in one of the roles off of the striker - obviously dependent on how we set up.  Personally, still don’t think it is a bad thing to have the option of some real raw pace to bring off the bench. Hoping he gets a start again this Thursday!

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Not really - one where he wasn’t really too involved in a generally awful Liverpool performance and then a good performance against Leicester.

He played up front for the 21’s and was excellent at getting the team up the park. I imagine if he was to get game time it would be in one of the roles off of the striker - obviously dependent on how we set up.  Personally, still don’t think it is a bad thing to have the option of some real raw pace to bring off the bench. Hoping he gets a start again this Thursday!

Fair play, sort of like when Ryan Fraser played in behind the striker?

I've nothing against him but i always worry about the shouts for players to get into the main team when they've not played much senior football. A lot more players end up like Islam Feruz than Billy Gilmour.

Edited by ilostmyself

4 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Fair play, sort of like when Ryan Fraser played in behind the striker?

I've nothing against him but i always worry about the shouts for players to get into the main team when they've not played much senior football. A lot more players end up like Islam Feruz than Billy Gilmour.

Yeah, that sort of idea!

I’m not actively clamouring for him to be called up or anything, Clarke knows best! I would just like to see him in there as feel he offers something a bit different. 

Thankfully, he is already miles ahead of Feruz but ultimately we don’t know if he develop to a good Premiership level yet. 

12 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Nothing against Doak but hasn't he just had 2 underwhelming starts for Liverpool? Not sure why he'd be considered for the main squad, particularly as we don't really play with wingers.

I just wonder if Clarke might see it almost as a response to last month's issue with Anderson. He said something along the lines of he likes Doak but thought it was the right time to bring in Anderson, so I wonder if, with Doak getting more game time and Anderson likely to drop out, he might see it fit to essentially try again with another good prospect. Plus there's a very slight chance that we might play with wingers in these games given what happened the last time we were missing one of Robertson/Tierney.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well yes, but only if there are injuries to forwards. What I meant was he obviously isn’t going to be named in the squad if he’s already been named in the U21s. 👍

Pretty sure that has happened in the recent past (as back to front as it seems).

Edited by Gordopolis

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Why not?

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Pretty sure that has happened in the recent past. 

Sorry, are you saying there has been cases of players being called up to the main squad after being named in the U21 squad, without there being any injuries in the main squad?

Seems unlikely otherwise why name them in the U21 squad in the first place?

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sorry, are you saying there has been cases of players being called up to the main squad after being named in the U21 squad, without there being any injuries in the main squad?

Seems unlikely otherwise why name them in the U21 squad in the first place?

Yes, I remember it being discussed on here at the time(s). Just can't remember the details.

Maybe it was early or pre Clarke*, but the pattern was that the u21 squad would be selected completely independently by Scotland Gemmil, then the top team manager would select the main squad, and pluck out any u21s he wanted/needed.

*Hoping SC has actually erased such disjointed thinking on one hand, but on the other if it sees Doak into this squad then I don't mind too much.

The most recent example of a player being in the under 21s squad announcement and then also in the first team squad a few days later was Calvin Ramsay v Turkey.

u21 announcement on 4th November

First team announcement 9th November

Hickey was already injured and Clarke already knew Celtic weren't allowing Ralston to be released by the time both squads were announced which probably rules out it being a replacement for someone getting injured in between the 2 announcements. Gemmill then called up Max Johnston as a replacement so it was probably out of the blue for him too.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

I didn't actually realise it was as recent as that. I remembered it happening with John Souttar in August 2018 when he made his debut, then an iffy one in March 2022 where Hickey refused a call-up for the u21s before getting named in the senior squad a few days later. If Hickey hadn't refused then he presumably would've been called up for both. 

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I just wonder if Clarke might see it almost as a response to last month's issue with Anderson. He said something along the lines of he likes Doak but thought it was the right time to bring in Anderson, so I wonder if, with Doak getting more game time and Anderson likely to drop out, he might see it fit to essentially try again with another good prospect. Plus there's a very slight chance that we might play with wingers in these games given what happened the last time we were missing one of Robertson/Tierney.

You mean ...

We will play a back four !!!!

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Back four is a must with KT out. Playing the back three without him has been a disaster in the past.

Gunn

Hickey-Porteous-Hendry-Robertson

McTominay-Gilmour-McGregor

Christie-Adams-McGinn

Surely it depends who we are playing, it’s definitely not ideal against a country worse or similar to us but the back three system will be absolutely fine for Spain I think. If our game plan is the same in terms of allowing them space out wide to fire crosses in, then McKenna (for example) will obviously defend that well. 

There is also the option of Patterson coming in and Hickey/Robertson playing the left hand side roles. The team has came on a lot since we last played without Tierney IMO. 

Yeah I was thinking the same, against Norway, Georgia or Cyprus without Tierney you'd be looking to revert to the back four, but away to Spain and France is a totally different scenario. Even if we were normally a back four team then there would be a case for playing a three in games like those to just get an extra defender in there. Something like McKenna-Hendry-Porteous still has just about enough football in it to not have to completely change our approach, even if you are losing a lot of the attacking impetus that Tierney could bring from that role.