Scotland squad October

Craigieboy

On 13/09/2023 at 13:13, TheScarf said:

Craig is deaf. Try and remember that when he starts threads in the future. 

Apologies for my ChatGPT crack as well Craigieboy. I realise that was out of order and I’m sorry. 

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yeah I was thinking the same, against Norway, Georgia or Cyprus without Tierney you'd be looking to revert to the back four, but away to Spain and France is a totally different scenario. Even if we were normally a back four team then there would be a case for playing a three in games like those to just get an extra defender in there. Something like McKenna-Hendry-Porteous still has just about enough football in it to not have to completely change our approach, even if you are losing a lot of the attacking impetus that Tierney could bring from that role.

Yeah I agree with most of this tbh.

I think McKenna is a decent replacement but I don’t think he was in Forest’s most recent squad (against Brentford) so I hope that was just because they have about a million players to try and keep happy and not because he’s injured as well,

Tierney is a massive miss though. I feel sorry for him as he was just getting things turned round and doing well at Real Sociedad.

40 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Think this confirms that there's been some truth in the Anderson speculation.

Yeah, it's pretty much as expected really.

Some folk really had their head in the sand about that one. Was very obviously some truth in it.

8 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Anyway, I’m already see people elsewhere moaning about Liam Cooper coming back in. It’s a good way of knowing who is absolutely clueless.

Probably the same people that complain that there's not enough Rangers players in there.........

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Think this confirms that there's been some truth in the Anderson speculation.

Yeah, it's pretty much as expected really.

Don't think there's was ever any doubt about that. The "injury" was convenient and vague, he played for Newcastle the next weekend and if the stories in the press had not been true he'd have very quickly publicly denied them. Only Clarke will know how far the bridges are burned but for me I'd forget about Anderson now. I'm not one for the whole "if Scotland's not your first love get lost" approach. I've no real issue with people taking their time to decide and changing their mind once. But flip-flopping constantly isn't on. Anderson's been in the Scotland set up for years. He left us once already for England then came back. If he's still not sure then I'd make the decision for him. We need committed players, not guys who don't know what they want to be next week.

Compare and contrast with the likes of Dykes, Adams and Gunn who may not have immediately been sure but have never looked back from the minute they came in. It may be that playing with one of England's biggest clubs has led Anderson to think he can do better than them with England and those three all playing in the second tier makes them value international involvement more (although Adams was a regular in the Premier when he committed to us, albeit with a smaller club and nowhere near the England set up).

9 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I know Shankland hasn't been in great form, but what Brown offers is beyond me. 

Brown will be looked as as a replacement for Dykes, he is more physical than Shankland and quite possibly more mobile. I'm not sure I would have made the same choice as Clarke but I can get what he is thinking.

10 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I know Shankland hasn't been in great form, but what Brown offers is beyond me. 

I think there’s a group of players that are on the fringes of the squad, not automatic picks for every window but also never a surprise to see them in the squad. I actually think Clarke makes a genuine attempt to pick these players at least once every 2/3 windows to keep them interested and keep them as fairly regular faces in the camp so that if we get injuries and they become more important players then they’re ready to go at a moment’s notice.

Brown, Shankland and Nisbet fall into this category amongst the forwards but also the likes of Greg Taylor, Ralston, McKenna, Cooper, all the sub goalies 

5 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Jacob Brown gets a hard time from fans on here. He's in a similar boat as Lewis Ferguson with respect to his position within the squad and game time. 

I don’t have an issue with Brown being in the squad but I think the big difference is that Ferguson is genuinely really unlucky to be stuck behind guys like McGinn, McGregor, Gilmour and McTominay. None of the guys who play ahead of Brown are world beaters but he still doesn’t really deserve to be ahead of any of them. 

40 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I think there’s a group of players that are on the fringes of the squad, not automatic picks for every window but also never a surprise to see them in the squad. I actually think Clarke makes a genuine attempt to pick these players at least once every 2/3 windows to keep them interested and keep them as fairly regular faces in the camp so that if we get injuries and they become more important players then they’re ready to go at a moment’s notice.

Brown, Shankland and Nisbet fall into this category amongst the forwards but also the likes of Greg Taylor, Ralston, McKenna, Cooper, all the sub goalies 

It's particularly unfortunate that we didn't end up with a 6th seed, otherwise we would have been able to give these guys time.

Norway organised friendlies against Jordan and The Faroes, and we went with England and France.  Good reasons no doubt, but it really limits how much rotation you can make.

Even if we qualify next week, through whatever results make it happen, we still need to take points from Georgia and Norway to help our seeding in Germany.  That's another limitation to what Clarke can do with the team (unless we're cantering to a win in either game of course).

There's a chance of 2 friendlies in March, and another 2 in June.  Though they'd be in preparation for the Euros, we could at least play a couple of games that would allow for some changes.