Elgin v Dumbarton 16/9/23

I would have tried to make this one if I wasn't going to be busy on Saturday. Really liked Elgin away.

Tough game. We didnt really build on the impressive first half at Stenny, although we did get 3 league points. I wasn't overly happy with the Kelty match - We'd struggle to score in Lupinenstrasse. We really need to find a settled line up that can actually score goals.

I'm a firm believer that, if you create chances, then the goals will come. Last season I think we had the seventh or eighth highest number of shots in the league. And ultimately that lack of firepower cost us. This season we've had the most shots in the league and have scored four more goals than every side, apart from Bonnyrigg who netted five last time out. We absolutely have to be more clinical, but a team wasting chances is an easier issue to solve than one not creating any.

I've absolutely no idea what our strongest team looks like though; so lets go for something like this tomorrow.

Brett Long

Mark Durnan Sean Crighton Matty Shiels

Kalvin Orsi Finlay Gray Blair Malcolm Carlo Pignatiello Greig Young

Michael Ruth Declan Byrne

There are, admittedly, a few bold calls in there. It's harsh on Jinky Hilton, Ross MacLean and Aron Lynas especially. But I've liked Shiels in defence and a left-footed player there gives us a good balance. Kalvin Orsi is a livewire and one of our biggest attacking threats, so I'd like to try and get him in if we can. He will create openings.

And if we need to be clinical then two out and out centre-forwards is the way to go. Michael Ruth and Declan Byrne were excellent for 55 minutes last week before they tired, and both could easily have scored doubles on another day. Lets see how they do together against a side in our own division.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I get that it worked once against Stenny but this having 3 strikers on the bench and none on the pitch does absolutely nothing for me. Didn’t Ruth score a goal and generally impress against Kelty last weekend? 

Yes. I was very surprised that he hasn't started today. We've only really played well in one half so far this season. I'm hoping it's the second half's turn this week.

There's not been a lot in it so far. We've had a lot of the ball, but only really threatened a handful of times. Jinky Hilton missed a one-on-one in the best opening we created, a few minutes before Elgin bundled in from a corner.

Since the goal we've been rushed and panicked and Elgin have been the better side. Just feels like we're just lacking a bit of sharpness and threat at the moment.

I'd like to see Mikey Ruth on soon. Jinky is dropping deep into midfield and MacLean is being left completely isolated a bit too often for my liking.

How is Ryan Blair doing?

I don't think we can play him in situations where we need to be attacking. He slows the game down far too much. The difference between him and Blair Malcolm is really clear - Malcolm is always looking to either carry the ball forward or play it forward. Malcolm gives us far more urgency.

Would subbing Ryan Blair for Michael Ruth give Maclean a proper partner up front and give us a bit of urgency in the middle?

Just now, BallochSonsFan said:

Would subbing Ryan Blair for Michael Ruth give Maclean a proper partner up front and give us a bit of urgency in the middle?

As soon as I saw today’s team I said to my mates I’d get Blair to f**k, drop Hilton into midfield and start Ruth up front. We don’t need two CDMs, Malcolm is more than adequate to do the dirty work and can actually move quicker than a snails pace.