Roger Water's DSOTM Redux

btb

IIRC the studio version is the only Floyd song Syd Barrett and Dave Gilmour both played on.

29 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not DSOTM but why not?

Edited by btb

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Unpopular opinion but TDB would be in my top 5 Floyd albums. 

It'd be there or thereabouts for me. 

I'm not keen on pre-Gilmour Floyd. I know many are but the Barrett era just sounds like 60s pop to me, indistinguishable from loads of other acts at the time. 

I'd have The Division Bell above The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Endless River (which was just musak). It's on about the same level as Meddle or Animals if I were to make a list. 

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It'd be there or thereabouts for me. 

I'm not keen on pre-Gilmour Floyd. I know many are but the Barrett era just sounds like 60s pop to me, indistinguishable from loads of other acts at the time. 

I'd have The Division Bell above The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Endless River (which was just musak). It's on about the same level as Meddle or Animals if I were to make a list. 

Not a massive fan of AMLOR. It's okay but that's all. TFC is Waters best solo album IMO.

Animals would be near the top of my list if I was to make one.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Floyd's debut album The Piper At The Gates of Dawn (Chapter 8 (?) of Wind in the Willows)  is a stand-out album of British psychedelic music with far trippier lyrics than most of their contemporaries and a full blown freak-out track Interstellar Overdrive. 

For me the weakest spell in Floyd history was the period immediately after Barrett left when the others were all trying to write Syd-like hit singles, it took about 3/4 years before they finally coalesced on their classic 70s sound on Meddle.

Floyd also refer to Barrett/Piper on many of their subsequent albums including The Division Bell.