Thistle vs Dundee United - 21 October 2023

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Any relation to Mark Walton, former Norwich keeper? Possibly his son? Damn, I feel old 😕

No relation as far as I know, but strangely, and probably well forgotten by many United fans, Ivan Golac brought Mark Walton in on loan from Norwich for a wee while in 1994, but he never got game time.

There were quite a few goalkeepers passing through Tannadice that season, Alan Main, Guido van de Kamp, Stuart Garden, Michel Pageau, Paul Shepherd (?), Brian Flies and as mentioned Mark Walton, brought about due to Alan Main's serious injury in November '93 when he'd just been called up to the Scotland squad.

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

No relation as far as I know, but strangely, and probably well forgotten by many United fans, Ivan Golac brought Mark Walton in on loan from Norwich for a wee while in 1994, but he never got game time.

There were quite a few goalkeepers passing through Tannadice that season, Alan Main, Guido van de Kamp, Stuart Garden, Michel Pageau, Paul Shepherd (?), Brian Flies and as mentioned Mark Walton, brought about due to Alan Main's serious injury in November '93 when he'd just been called up to the Scotland squad.

As someone who cannot remember what he did yesterday I admire your recall.

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Can't remember anything at all about Flies, Walton or Shepherd and had no idea Pageud was at us on trial before going over the road. We had some goal keeper issues the following season too when we went down, with O'Hanlon/Jorgensen and letting Main go to the Fermers. Goalie troubles and relegation you'd think we'd have learnt something over the years.

14 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Can't remember anything at all about Flies, Walton or Shepherd and had no idea Pageud was at us on trial before going over the road. We had some goal keeper issues the following season too when we went down, with O'Hanlon/Jorgensen and letting Main go to the Fermers. Goalie troubles and relegation you'd think we'd have learnt something over the years.

I'm sure that Pageud played for us as a trialist in the game we beat the fun 13-0 in a reserve game at dens 

Goalies that played for Thistle and United?

I can only think of Billy Thompson and Paul Gallagher.

Any others? We might have had a wee guy on loan around 2001/2002? Can't remember his name though.

33 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Goalies that played for Thistle and United?

I can only think of Billy Thompson and Paul Gallagher.

Any others? We might have had a wee guy on loan around 2001/2002? Can't remember his name though.

Andy Stewart on loan in 1997, one of the worst ever. 

Cammy Bell (see above) 

On 18/10/2023 at 14:34, Tap in 94 said:

I'm sure that Pageud played for us as a trialist in the game we beat the fun 13-0 in a reserve game at dens 

He definitely played for the Fun when Billy McKinlay scored a hat-trick against them at Dens, including  one of the best volleys I’ve ever seen. I was right behind it on the T C Keay terracing. 

14 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

can thank all dundee utd fans for buying docherty. I hope you can put him to work in one of yer burger vans, then not a total waste of money.....

will screw that up, though will no doubt get a well done for his off the burger work by the thistle fudds on here

We (United fans) didn't actually sign Docherty - that was the club- and the club didn't buy Docherty - he arrived on free transfer. And he's been excellent. It beggars belief that someone can have watched the guy for any period of time and not realise what a good player he is. Does the dirty stuff very well, passes the ball on constructively and generally organises the play and players around him.

Can't comment on his suitability for mobile catering but I've no reason to believe that he wouldn't put a good shift in, if required.

23 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Any chance of this game being postponed due to the weather? Hopefully not a problem as would much prefer a saturday game to a midweek trip

Never say never. Winds pretty hefty but no more rainfall so should be sound. Not purchasing ticket till hour before ko however. 

31 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

We (United fans) didn't actually sign Docherty - that was the club- and the club didn't buy Docherty - he arrived on free transfer. And he's been excellent. It beggars belief that someone can have watched the guy for any period of time and not realise what a good player he is. Does the dirty stuff very well, passes the ball on constructively and generally organises the play and players around him.

Can't comment on his suitability for mobile catering but I've no reason to believe that he wouldn't put a good shift in, if required.

Shhhh. Dont encourage him/her.

Treat them like a screaming kid before nap time. They'll eventually shout at the wall long enough to tire themselves out.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Rating Docherty (at Championship level) is fast becoming one of my litmus tests of whether soneone knows what they’re talking about or not.