Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So it would seem Hickey ISN'T on the plane. More chance of a Barron or whoever being so.

Yeah. He's been injured for 6 months, and for all intents and purposes, his injury was a really bad one. There was no chance Hickey was going to get called up.

Barron, for me, is a cert.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Yeah. He's been injured for 6 months, and for all intents and purposes, his injury was a really bad one. There was no chance Hickey was going to get called up.

Barron, for me, is a cert.

Well there clearly was a chance. As recently as early April he was said to be "running on grass" whilst Neil Macfarlane was quoted as saying he was "doing everything" to make it and he was "positive". But yeah, its been a bad one and he apparently hasnt made it.  Losing Patterson in addition therefore is horrendous luck, except for Ralston and likely McCrorie anyway.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well there clearly was a chance. As recently as early April he was said to be "running on grass" whilst Neil Macfarlane was quoted as saying he was "doing everything" to make it and he was "positive". But yeah, its been a bad ibe and he apparently hasnt made it.  Losing Patterson in addition therefore is horrendous luck, except for Ralston and likely McCrorie anyway.

It was a very rare injury

From what i heard his hamstring was disattached from the bone. It was severe.

That's why he's been out for 7 months.

35 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

That was a rumour on a Brentford fans forum, don't think if was ever publicised on record and Brentford have been rather coy about the whole thing so I can see why people thought there was a chance of Hickey making the tournament

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

Well yes, but none of that changes what I said. However rare or serious it was, if he was running on grass a month ago it was legitimate to hope he was going to make it. "There was no chance" just isnt true. If there was no chance we'd have known that a month ago. There was a chance, it just hasnt happened.

Anywho. Not going to waste my time on semantics.

Doak and Hickey have been been out for 7 months.

Both are training and "running on grass" (like it's some sort of recovery marvel of science) and have been since April.

There was zero chance of them recovering in time for the Euros. Even if, by some miracle they were fit, both are severely lacking in conditioning and match fitness.

Both need rested up till they can get a good pre-season under their belts.

Posted (edited)

So the end of the English & Scottish Premiership + Norwich's season ending this weekend has confirmed a few other bits and pieces in terms of availability unless guys manage to injure themselves in training.

Season Over and Fit as Far as We Know
Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Porteous, Ross McCrorie, Lawrence Shankland, Craig Gordon (but lacking much game time), Zander Clark, Grant Hanley (but lacking game time), Kenny McLean, Angus Gunn, Liam Kelly, Max Johnston, (Elliot Anderson), Billy Gilmour, Andy Robertson, John McGinn, Ryan Christie, Connor Barron, Kevin Nisbet

Season Over and Not Back from Injury
Aaron Hickey, Ben Doak, Jacob Brown, Nathan Patterson,

Season Not Yet Over but Currently Fit
Kieran Tierney, Anthony Ralston, Greg Taylor, Calum McGregor, Scott McTominay, Liam Cooper, Ryan Fraser, Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry, Josh Doig, Ryan Jack (but not played in 3 months), Ross Stewart (but barely played in a year)

Season Not Yet Over but Unfit As far As We Know
Stuart Armstrong, Che Adams, John Souttar

Listed Adams as currently injured as he missed both legs of Southampton's play off semi final but they seem to think he'll be available for the final and presumably not an issue for Scotland unless he gets hurt again in the Final.

We've had no update on Armstrong since Russell Martin ruled him out for the domestic season but thought he had a 'good chance' of making the Euros. I guess we'll only know where he's at on Wednesday.

There's a few highly fringe names on that list obviously.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just now, edinabear said:

Max Johnston must be in with a decent shout of being starting right back now 

On what basis? He's played less than 450 minutes of league football for Sturm Graz this season.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

On what basis? He's played less than 450 minutes of league football for Sturm Graz this season.

Didn't realise it was as little as that. I just saw the 26 appearances this season 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So the end of the English & Scottish Premiership + Norwich's season ending this weekend has confirmed a few other bits and pieces in terms of availability unless guys manage to injure themselves in training.

Season Over and Fit as Far as We Know
Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Porteous, Ross McCrorie, Lawrence Shankland, Craig Gordon (but lacking much game time), Zander Clark, Grant Hanley (but lacking game time), Kenny McLean, Angus Gunn, Liam Kelly, Max Johnston, (Elliot Anderson), Billy Gilmour, Andy Robertson, John McGinn, Ryan Christie, Connor Barron, Kevin Nisbet

Season Over and Not Back from Injury
Aaron Hickey, Ben Doak, Jacob Brown, Nathan Patterson,

Season Not Yet Over but Currently Fit
Kieran Tierney, John Souttar, Anthony Ralston, Greg Taylor, Calum McGregor, Scott McTominay, Liam Cooper, Ryan Fraser, Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry, Josh Doig, Ryan Jack (but not played in 3 months), Ross Stewart (but barely played in a year)

Season Not Yet Over but Unfit As far As We Know
Stuart Armstrong, Che Adams

Listed Adams as currently injured as he missed both legs of Southampton's play off semi final but they seem to think he'll be available for the final and presumably not an issue for Scotland unless he gets hurt again in the Final.

We've had no update on Armstrong since Russell Martin ruled him out for the domestic season but thought he had a 'good chance' of making the Euros. I guess we'll only know where he's at on Wednesday.

There's a few highly fringe names on that list obviously.

John Souttar has missed the last two games due to an injury picked up in the Old Firm. So he is maybe better placed in the 'Season Not Yet Over but Unfit As far As We Know' column. I don't how severe an injury it is. Apart from that I'd agree broadly with the rest.

Edited by 2426255

Here goes. I do not expect this to be the squad, which is why I'm not putting it in the squad prediction thread, but would probably choose this if I were in charge. 

1. Angus Gunn
  2. Anthony Ralston
  3. Andy Robertson
  4. Scott McTominay
  5. Grant Hanley
  6. Kieran Tierney
  7. John McGinn
  8. Callum McGregor
  9. Lyndon Dykes
  10. Che Adams
  11. Ryan Christie
  12. Craig Gordon
  13. Jack Hendry
  14. Billy Gilmour
  15. Ryan Porteous
  16. Scott McKenna
  17. Stuart Armstrong
  18. Lawrence Shankland
  19. Ryan Fraser
  20. Greg Taylor
  21. Zander Clark
  22. James Forrest
  23. Kenny McLean
  24. John Souttar
  25. Ben Doak
  26. David Watson

Just went for a To Hell With It approach with 25 and 26. It could have been them, Jack, Cooper, Barron, Johnston, Conway, Miller or one of the McCrories, but, while I've been quite critical of Doak, he still is the standout youth player so I'd call him up if fit, and Watson seems to be in the mould of the likes of McGinn/McTominay/Ferguson which you could either say is a negative or makes it likely that he'd fit in well as a long-term option. I suppose he's Ferguson's replacement in my squad, though I don't really have any strong feelings about picking him. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

John Souttar has missed the last two games due to an injury picked up in the Old Firm. So he is maybe better placed in the 'Season Not Yet Over but Unfit As far As We Know' column. I don't how severe an injury it is. Apart from that I'd agree broadly with the rest.

Fair enough. Wasn't aware. Will edit.

Scott McKenna is the only player with a game before the squad is announced on Wednesday. Bologna play tonight - a direct face off with Juventus in a battle for 3rd place, but Lewis Ferguson is unfortunately injured as we all know.

Have they confirmed how many players will be permitted in the matchday squads? It was 23 from 26 at the last Euros, but I'm sure it was 26 at the 2022 World Cup.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Have they confirmed how many players will be permitted in the matchday squads? It was 23 from 26 at the last Euros, but I'm sure it was 26 at the 2022 World Cup.

Good question.

I don't know. If I were to guess I'd say 23 (with 5 subs allowed, 6 if the match goes into extra time) like it was in the previous European championship.

A real bugger about Hickey as he'd been excellent for us recently. With that being said, I do think that we're still in a better position as far as RB is concerned compared to the last euros. We had Stephen O'Donnell with a very young and mostly untested Nathan Patterson back then. Now, the best options seem to be:

Ralston - at the very least an improvement on SOD as much as I love the guy

Johnston - not played a great deal of minutes, but is at least playing at a decent standard for a team that has just won a league/cup double, is a couple of years older than Patterson was and I've been impressed whenever I've seen him play

McRorie - Championship starter and seems to be a fairly reliable option. Added to that, he can cover a couple of positions.

Compared to having Hickey and Patterson fit, it's definitely a downgrade, but in comparison to the last euros it's not too bad.