Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

9 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

Interesting to see what everyone’s views are, if everyone fit and on form come June ( which is a big ask, after a long season ) 

The Players that are pretty much on that Plane IMO are - 

Goalkeepers

1. A.Gunn

2. C.Gordon

3. ?????? 

Defence

4. A.Robertson

5. K.Tierney

6. A.Hickey

7. R.Porteous

8. G.Hanley

9. J.Hendry 

10. ????? 

11. ????? 

Midfield

12. J.McGinn 

13. B.Gilmour 

14. C.McGregor 

15. S.McTominay 

16. L.Ferguson 

17. S.Armstrong 

18. ????? 

19. ?????

Forwards 

20. L.Dykes 

21. C.Adams 

22. R.Christie 

23. ????? 

There's no chance Gordon goes if he's not playing club football by at least March.  There's no chance Clark doesnt go if he is. One of them will go for sure. If the other doesnt play much in the 2nd half of the season McCrorie or Kelly will be the 3rd.

There's also next to no chance Patterson and McLean dont go. McKenna will go if he's playing regular football (which means he'll need a move this month). 

Jack's likely to be the other midfielder but its not impossible someone else forces their way in, especially if his fitness is questionable.

Shankland's ahead of Brown probably for the last spot but that may change.

Of course injury will likely deprive someone.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/01/2024 at 02:13, Skyline Drifter said:

There's no chance Gordon goes if he's not playing club football by at least March.  There's no chance Clark doesnt go if he is. One of them will go for sure. If the other doesnt play much in the 2nd half of the season McCrorie or Kelly will be the 3rd.

There's also next to no chance Patterson and McLean dont go. McKenna will go if he's playing regular football (which means he'll need a move this month). 

Jack's likely to be the other midfielder but its not impossible someone else forces their way in, especially if his fitness is questionable.

Shankland's ahead of Brown probably for the last spot but that may change.

Of course injury will likely deprive someone.....

I can’t see Ryan Jack making the plane or another squad soon, he was a great player but injury/form have & unfortunately curtailed any call up soon 

22 minutes ago, BroraBoy said:

There is more chance of Elvis being alive than McBurnie making the plane for Germany! 

Ah-haw-haw.

If he scored a dozen goals between now and May, then sure. But he won't, it's as simple as that. There is a useful player in there and he has that bit of niggle in him that can be useful to unsettle opponents, but his career and form have been patchy as feck for years now. 

14 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

The only way McBurnie is on that plane is if he retrains as a pilot, and there's surely not enough time for that between now and the summer. 

I think even if that happened and McBurnie piloted the plane, despite some promising test flights at low altitude around the Sheffield area he'd fall disappointingly short for Scotland and miss his destination, landing in Belgium by mistake.

18 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Ah-haw-haw.

If he scored a dozen goals between now and May, then sure. But he won't, it's as simple as that. There is a useful player in there and he has that bit of niggle in him that can be useful to unsettle opponents, but his career and form have been patchy as feck for years now. 

I don't think McBurnie making it is completely out of the realms of possibility. It's unlikely but he's a player Clarke has used and trusted before. He's got Chris Wilder back at Sheffield United again, he's fit, he's getting Premiership game time and scoring the odd goal (mostly penalties so far right enough). We all know there will be at least three forwards on the plane. Barring injury or something dramatic, Adams and Dykes will be two of them. The third is up for grabs. In October we all thought Jacob Brown was in pole position, then across Xmas we all thought it would be Shankland, and he's still in the box seat now, but if McBurnie hits say 10 goals between now and season's end in the EPL he'll rightly be in the conversation. I don't think he'll do that, or go to Germany, but it's far from out of the question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2024 at 10:54, 2426255 said:

Strikers "Goalscoring Form" for the month of December (24-Nov ~ 31-Dec). Lawrence Shankland leads the way followed by Kevin Nisbet and then Oli McBurnie if viewed through minutes on the pitch per goal. Adams, Fraser and Conway also doing reasonably well.

Strikers "Goalscoring Form" for January (1st ~ 31st).

Top 3 are: Che Adams, Ryan Hardie and Ryan Fraser in that order according to minutes/goal. McBurnie and Shankland aren't far behind, but Conway and Nisbet have dropped off.

Spoiler

image.png.5bf513644c838e4beb17d7ebf1b53460.png

The total adding December and January together reveals a top 3 of: Lawrence Shankland, Che Adams and Ryan Fraser/Ryan Hardie/ Oli McBurnie who are level in third place, although McBurnie and Hardie have taken penalties. The rest (including Dykes, Conway and Nisbet) are taking over 200 minutes to score.

Spoiler

image.png.ab548ece71c663a60531aa6f0ffd275c.png

23 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Strikers "Goalscoring Form" for January (1st ~ 31st).

Top 3 are: Che Adams, Ryan Hardie and Ryan Fraser in that order according to minutes/goal. McBurnie and Shankland aren't far behind, but Conway and Nisbet have dropped off.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5bf513644c838e4beb17d7ebf1b53460.png

The total adding December and January together reveals a top 3 of: Lawrence Shankland, Che Adams and Ryan Fraser/Ryan Hardie/ Oli McBurnie who are level in third place, although McBurnie and Hardie have taken penalties. The rest (including Dykes, Conway and Nisbet) are taking over 200 minutes to score.

Hide contents

image.png.ab548ece71c663a60531aa6f0ffd275c.png

Dykes isn't currently playing as a striker for QPR. They're using him in a deeper, almost midfield, role with a striker or two ahead of him.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dykes isn't currently playing as a striker for QPR. They're using him in a deeper, almost midfield, role with a striker or two ahead of him.

I want to see how important "goalscoring form" is. How the fan view tallies with the final selection. At the moment I'm just recording the basic data without caveats.

I stated at the outset that I don't believe it's significant. The point made regarding Dykes role at QPR is a good example of why. To fans generally it seems to be a decisive factor.

Edited by 2426255

21 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I want to see how important "goalscoring form" is. How the fan view tallies with the final selection. At the moment I'm just recording the basic data without caveats.

I stated at the outset that I don't believe it's significant. The point made regarding Dykes role at QPR is a good example of why.

To fans generally it seems to be a decisive factor.

Yeah, I appreciate that. Was just making a comment to partially justify his current scoring average. At the end of the day though he's never been a particularly heavy scorer (his record with Scotland is better than any of his club records I think) and he's playing in a relegation haunted side. He's not going to be anywhere near the top of any scoring stats.

38 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I stated at the outset that I don't believe it's significant. The point made regarding Dykes role at QPR is a good example of why.

To fans generally it seems to be a decisive factor.

It’s an area I’m concerned about - Striker/Forward and also a quality CB (that’s another thread) 

L.Dykes goal tally for QPR has been poor of late but he’s done well for Scotland so he’ll occupy a place in the squad, from the others I’d say C.Adams is getting more game time at Southampton and another selection. 
Looks like L.Shankland will merit a squad selection but does S.Clarke really rate him? 

R.Christie no longer occupies the attack minded role at Bournemouth as Kluivert tends to fill that role, think he has enough credit surely. 

R.Fraser has looked really sharp for Southampton when he’s played and scored a few and chipped in with assists, does S.Clarke forgive+forget?? 

K.Nisbett has pretty much fallen off the radar and without checking, not sure if he is getting much game time? 

J.Brown imo will not not make the Euro’s - hasn’t quite got it, was poor against Norway ( does he deserve one more chance?? ) 

Late to the party could be Tommy Conway, he needs to show a bit more between now and March friendlies and think he’ll be called up to see what he can give. 

And totally left field - A.Gordon & H.Barnes from Newcastle, Southgate certainly won’t select either for going forward, possibly S.Clarke makes enquiries and see where it takes us! 

Edited by BroraBoy
Typo

36 minutes ago, BroraBoy said:

It’s an area I’m concerned about - Striker/Forward and also a quality CB (that’s another thread) 

L.Dykes goal tally for QPR has been poor of late but he’s done well for Scotland so he’ll occupy a place in the squad, from the others I’d say C.Adams is getting more game time at Southampton and another selection. 
Looks like L.Shankland will merit a squad selection but does S.Clarke really rate him? 

R.Christie no longer occupies the attack minded role at Bournemouth as Kluivert tends to fill that role, think he has enough credit surely. 

R.Fraser has looked really sharp for Southampton when he’s played and scored a few and chipped in with assists, does S.Clarke forgive+forget?? 

K.Nisbett has pretty much fallen off the radar and without checking, not sure if he is getting much game time? 

J.Brown imo will not not make the Euro’s - hasn’t quite got it, was poor against Norway ( does he deserve one more chance?? ) 

Late to the party could be Tommy Conway, he needs to show a bit more between now and March friendlies and think he’ll be called up to see what he can give. 

And totally left field - A.Gordon & H.Barnes from Newcastle, Southgate certainly won’t select either for going forward, possibly S.Clarke makes enquiries and see where it takes us! 

I see it differently. Dykes, Adams and Christie are certainties. They're well established and understand how the team functions.

There is decent competition beyond that should we decide to include another striker and we've seen McGinn perform that role also.

21 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I want to see how important "goalscoring form" is. How the fan view tallies with the final selection. At the moment I'm just recording the basic data without caveats. I stated at the outset that I don't believe it's significant. The point made regarding Dykes role at QPR is a good example of why. 

On the subject of strikers and "Goal Scoring form" Steve Clarke said this in a recent interview:

A lot of the strikers that I play: Lyndon Dykes, Che Adams - whoever it is upfront, whichever one it is: always seem to get a little bit of stick because they don't get enough goals.

The way we play, the way the team is structured is for that striker to help the midfield boys to score goals. As long as Scott's chipping in, John McGinn chips in with goals, Callum McGregor has a couple for us. As long as those boys are scoring from midfield we don't really care about who gets the goals as long as we get them.

Steve Clarke

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/13035632/scotland-steve-clarke-discusses-euro-2024-qualification-scott-mctominay-squad-selection-dilemas-for-germany

It is something that is observable through statistics or just from watching our games. I mentioned previously that in the build up to Billy Gilmour's goal against France he showed zero interest in finding Che Adams and was only looking to cut the ball back to Lewis Ferguson in that case.

Spoiler

Cut-back-2.png.c1e209b3f6c16b49bc3268096f5a687f.png

Look at Stuart Armstrong's goal against Norway. 

Spoiler

Cut-back-1.png.aa0118994116d679d6a99a2d8fab276e.png

Cut-backs to midfielders have been a strategy that we've used for a while and had huge success with so I'm not overly concerned if strikers are scoring loads at their club or for Scotland. I also don't really understand why fans obsess over strikers and their "goal-scoring form". 

Edited by 2426255

21 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

I'm not sure what makes you think Anthony Gordon's "certainly" not going be picked by Southgate? He can't be far away from it.

Otherwise though, the big questions are:

1. Do you really constantly go around referring to people by first initials and surname? and
  2. How special is Tommy Conway that he didn't get "T.Conway" but his full name?

Shankenstein scoring again tonight in the league.

We tend to channel goalscoring opportunities for our midfielders, but as the Georgia away game showed, there can certainly be a need for a change of approach. Surely Shankland has to be in the squad with that in mind?