Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Dykes being out is a shiter. He's hardly our best player, but we've no decent like-for-like replacement and he's done very well for us. He'd likely have played a part in every game, and he's bound to be a bit miserable. Thankfully it's not Adams, I suppose, as we've nobody to do what he does.

Sir Steve is probably as well taking a punt on an unknown quantity and hoping they can take everyone by surprise, though it's a fair question to ask why it's been left to the eve of the tournament to blood someone new. Starting the tournament with Adams, Shankland, and Doak as our forward options seems like a terrible idea.

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2024 at 11:47, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't really understand the Doak pick unless either the sparse info coming out from Liverpool about his fitness was just miles wrong and he's way ahead of what they were saying or Clarke's fully expecting everyone else to be fit and is just bringing him along for the ride for the friendlies and will jettison him from the final 26.

A fit Ben Doak makes a lot of sense in this expanded squad regardless of whether he's playing first team football or not. A player who hasn't played a game in 2024 and has supposedly done one training session, does not.

Late to the party with today's news having just returned from Portugal so forgive the 'I told you so's' now.

I didnt understand the Doak pick in the first place. There was much sense in picking a fully fit Doak who had been playing games. Picking one who hadnt even trained properly in over 5 months smacked of utter desperation. The outcome is entirely predictable. We may as well have picked Hickey and hoped too! 

At least he broke down in time to be replaced. Conway may or may not be ready but at least he's fit. Properly fit. Which Doak, Brown, Stewart, Nisbet and probably McBurnie (as well as Dykes obviously) aren't.

Surely to God one of Kelly / Gordon is the other to drop out and we're done. 

The timing of the Finland game relative to squad finalisation is a bit daft. I presume the squad needs to be formally named sometime during the working day on Friday, so before we play Finland. Performances there are too late to matter. And anyone injured in the game (please NO! ) will need replaced after already being formally named. He's clearly going to have 'the conversation' with the unlucky one before the game, probably Thursday night. Would be better if the game had been Thursday.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The Conversation will be a piece of piss. 

"Hi Liam, you won't be named in the official squad tomorrow, but you'll still be a member of the travelling team. You'll be involved in training every day and I trust you to be ready should anything happen to one of the other goalkeepers. See you in Germany, shagger."

50 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

"Hi Liam, you won't be named in the official squad tomorrow, but you'll still be a member of the travelling team. You'll be involved in training every day and I trust you to be ready should anything happen to one of the other goalkeepers. See you in Germany, shagger."

Broadly agree with this. When the original squad was named I assume the plan was to drop one keeper and one CB but Clarke wanted a look at the keepers and Souttar/Cooper in training. He also said at the time that the 21s were his standby list which I take as a green light for anyone outwith the u21 squad to go out and get pished and eat kebabs in Ayia Napa.

Since then:

Dykes out, Tommy Conway promoted from the 21s.

Now Doak is out. Do you stick to the announced policy and call someone up from the 21s, call up someone else, or just take all 7 CBs or all 4 keepers?

The 21s options in that area of the park are guys like Lewis Fiorini, Rob Apter, David Watson and Lyall Cameron. I’m not sure anyone would suggest any of these options are anywhere near ready to represent Scotland in a senior major tournament, so is there any point bringing one of them along for the experience and also pissing off a CB who’s been in and around the squad already? It especially holds true if you consider that Doak was surely an extra pick for the 26 man squad anyway and wouldn’t have gone in a 23, so I don’t think it’s quite so necessary to replace him as it was with Dykes.

If there was someone out there that’s willing to accept a call up like Ryan Fraser, Elliott Anderson, Harvey Barnes or Danny Armstrong or one of the MLS guys then I’m open to that. But the first three would surely have already been considered if at all possible and as I alluded to earlier, those who thought their season is over might not exactly be match fit or at a playing weight at this point.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

If you read anything at all into squad numbers, I think it’ll be Gordon who misses out.  

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Agreed.

Steve Clarke will probably take Craig Gordon as a reward for his loyalty to Scotland over the years.

Whereas Liam Kelly has put the kibosh on his Scotland career by agreeing to sit on the Rangers bench in what should be his best years.

4 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Agreed.

Steve Clarke will probably take Craig Gordon as a reward for his loyalty to Scotland over the years.

Whereas Liam Kelly has put the kibosh on his Scotland career by agreeing to sit on the Rangers bench in what should be his best years.

Nothing to do with loyalty, if Kelly was any good he would get in as second choice but he is pretty average.

Clark is ahead of Gordon because Gordon ain't going to be around much longer after this tournament and we will need a replacement for Gunn if he gets injured so I believe Stevie Clarke has settled on Clark to give him as much gametime as possible for Scotland in friendlies to build his experience. 

I don't particuarly rate Gunn that much either, he's decent enough and the best we have at the minute but hopefuly we have some young keepers coming through as we are seriously short in quality in this area .

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

If you read anything at all into squad numbers, I think it’ll be Gordon who misses out.  

I don’t think you should be reading into that at all.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

You might be right but the squad numbers have tended to stay the same since 2021. Kelly's been 12 for a while (I don't know how long) so that's just his number. If Gordon makes the squad then he'll probably be 12 even if Clark's ahead of him in the pecking order.

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

You might be right but the squad numbers have tended to stay the same since 2021. Kelly's been 12 for a while (I don't know how long) so that's just his number. If Gordon makes the squad then he'll probably be 12 even if Clark's ahead of him in the pecking order.

Probably.  But it’s a fun wee guessing game.  I’d use your logic to argue the squad is quite predictable and the players with slightly unusual numbers may be the ones at risk. 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

I had a dream that Elliot Anderson joined the squad. Make of that what you will.

I dreamt last night that we won the opening game of the Euros 3-0.

For some reason we were playing Slovakia though, so not sure how much to read into it. 

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

This squad shambles is a joke.

What the punchline?

It’s not Clarke’s fault that Scotland doesn’t produce enough international class players. Especially forwards.

False 9 it is then.

On 04/06/2024 at 17:29, BFTD said:

Dykes being out is a shiter. He's hardly our best player, but we've no decent like-for-like replacement

Do we not? I've got a couple of old fence poles in the garage. Thinking a small motor on the bottom and just have it go round in a circle.

Given enough time eventually the balls gonna bounce off it and go in. And then the fence poll has proved its point.

Wether its eligible or not is the real question?

8 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

What the punchline?

It’s not Clarke’s fault that Scotland doesn’t produce enough international class players. Especially forwards.

False 9 it is then.

Jesus! He pick a teenager who hadn't kicked a ball in months, then that player withdraws from yëthe squad. How incompetent do you want manager to be?