Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Just now, Lyle Lanley said:

Quite a lot of seething on social media about Gauld not being called up. 

Superb. I'll need to get myself over there then.

You can call up replacements until the first game. There’s loads of other teams playing friendlies across this weekend. I don’t know why some people are making out we’re disorganised for playing right before the “deadline”.

I'm pleased we've added another attacking option, I think we were one too light as it stood and it makes sense to replace Doak with another guy who can play wide and is relatively quick and dynamic. He offers miles more value to the squad than having a 7th centre-back in there, which is the position you'd assume will be dropping out.

On 20/05/2024 at 21:44, craigkillie said:

Lewis Morgan is maybe a left-field shout, I think he has a better chance than some think, Clarke picked him before, he's quite flexible as a player and he is in reasonably good form.

45 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You can call up replacements until the first game. There’s loads of other teams playing friendlies across this weekend. I don’t know why some people are making out we’re disorganised for playing right before the “deadline”.

To back this post up: You can replace an injured/ill player between the squad announcement and Scotland's first match at the tournament, but needs to be authorised by UEFA. Goalkeepers are an exception can be replaced after the first game, but also require UEFA approval.

Should listed players or goalkeepers become seriously injured or ill, they may only be substituted if both their team doctor and a doctor from the UEFA Medical Committee confirm that the injury or illness is sufficiently serious to prevent them from taking part in the final tournament. Subject to the final approval of the UEFA administration, they may be replaced on the list of players registered for the final tournament, as follows:

1. players and goalkeepers may be replaced before their team's first match in the final tournament,

2. goalkeepers may also be replaced before their next match during the final tournament.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-48-Player-lists-Online

That's from 3rd-May.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'm pleased we've added another attacking option, I think we were one too light as it stood and it makes sense to replace Doak with another guy who can play wide and is relatively quick and dynamic. He offers miles more value to the squad than having a 7th centre-back in there, which is the position you'd assume will be dropping out.

At the moment we have

• 4 goalkeepers.
  • 11 who can play in the back-5 [4 full-backs. 6 centre-backs. + 1 that can do both (Tierney)].
  • 13 who can play in the front-5 [3 Strikers] [3 central midfielders. 4 attacking midfielders. + 3 that can do both (McGinn, McTominay, McLean].

A few who could fill in across both areas in an emergency. (McTominay, Jack, Forrest or McLean). I'd say we're currently better stocked for attacking options given the recent additions of Morgan and Conway, but in terms of the squad it's looking quite an exciting balance at the moment with 28 players and great coverage in terms of positions.

Edited by 2426255

Just noticing Maddison cut from the England squad. Crazy to think that if he had stuck it Elliot Anderson would almost certainly be on the plane with us. Seems a bit of an irrelevance now although I hope he wins the world cup for us at some point.

57 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

At the moment we have

• 4 goalkeepers.
  • 11 who can play in the back-5 [4 full-backs. 6 centre-backs. + 1 that can do both (Tierney)].
  • 13 who can play in the front-5 [3 Strikers] [3 central midfielders. 4 attacking midfielders. + 3 that can do both (McGinn, McTominay, McLean].

A few who could fill in across both areas in an emergency. (McTominay, Jack, Forrest or McLean). I'd say we're currently better stocked for attacking options given the recent additions of Morgan and Conway, but in terms of the squad it's looking quite an exciting balance at the moment with 28 players and great coverage in terms of positions.

The question now is, who’s off the Plane ?? 

2 Players to be told No are 

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Balance it out with the unhappiness of Gauld obsessives, even though Morgan plays a different position.

For maximum lols he could have called up Jordan Rhodes.

39 minutes ago, BroraBoy said:

The question now is, who’s off the Plane ?? 

2 Players to be told No are 

Including Tierney there are 7 central defenders in the squad for a maximum of 3 playing, and 8 midfielders for a likely 4 playing. Clarke picked 6 CDs in the Euro 2020 squad. I think a CD gets dropped but I'm not sure which one, I'd guess Cooper.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Daily Record reporting Gordon is the keeper being binned, which seems daft to me given that Liam Kelly is rubbish.

My congratulations to @Skyline Drifter if this turns out to be true. Never wavered, not for a second.

Don’t understand that decision at all unless he’s looked awful in training. Kelly is dreadful and just signed up to be a backup at Rangers. Surely you at least take him as a good dressing room guy and mentor for the younger guys. 

2 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Don’t understand that decision at all unless he’s looked awful in training. Kelly is dreadful and just signed up to be a backup at Rangers. Surely you at least take him as a good dressing room guy and mentor for the younger guys. 

Kelly hasn't actually signed for Rangers despite the constant comments that he has. It does seem likely though. Apparently he is a popular character in the changing room too - bear in mind Gordon is basically a decade older than the rest.

Still wouldn't have been my choice.

If you take sentiment away, Gordon being dropped is the sensible decision. Gunn, Clark and Kelly have been first choice at their clubs all season while Gordon has played about half a dozen games. While I agree that Gordon is a better keeper than Kelly, you can't be sentimental.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, microdave said:

If you take sentiment away, Gordon being dropped is the sensible decision. Gunn, Clark and Kelly have been first choice at their clubs all season while Gordon has played about half a dozen games. While I agree that Gordon is a better keeper than Kelly, you can't be sentimental.

It’s not sentimental to take the better keeper. You could argue taking Kelly is more sentimental if it’s because he’s turned up through qualifying.

Clark is clearly second choice anyway so not worth getting worked up about the third choice. It’s surprised me though.

Edited by eez-eh