Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Weird question, but how does P&B think our current goalkeepers match up to Alan Rough?

He was our first choice when I was a wee boy, but the only thing I remember about him was that people didn't think he was very good.

Not as good as Goram , Gordon , McGregor etc

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The UEFA website has Shankland as #9 and Conway as #19 for this friendly. They are quite slow at updating it all throughout the day. Armstrong is still showing as #32 and John Souttar doesn't have a number, but you can have a look here if you want to see for yourself

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/friendlies/match/2040003--scotland-vs-finland/lineups/

I think it will be roughly similar to the Euros squad numbers, but not exact.

I'm sure there is a deadline of 24 hours prior you have to name your squad for the game, and then the official starting XI and named subs are announced 90 minutes prior to the match starting.  The actual teamlines will be submitted even ahead of that, but 90 minutes is standard for it being published.

Friendlies have more relaxed rules (I'm sure I've seen 60 minutes in the past?), but each competition has its own stipulations.  Even the Juniors have it, but it's not very well enforced.

Of course, any injuries that occur prior to the match but after the official teamlines are published can mean the whole thing changes.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

1 hour ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Not as good as Goram , Gordon , McGregor etc

Better than Gunn, Clark, Kelly...?

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm a year out, you're right. Memory's going. He was here at 18 then, not 17. I'm not saying we did have 'any role in his youth football development', and to be fair I missed the word "youth" in your original post but he was hardly a complete player leaving school at 18 though. I'd claim Scottish football did claim a significant role in his development as a player. That's not the same as the likes of Brown, Adams, Conway and Brown coming to it as senior players.

Sure. My point is that since the 1990s we've done a terrible job in developing young players and have papered over the cracks with players who grew up elsewhere. A handful of our clubs have saved us from even worse. We could go into the reasons why in another thread. But we've had the academy system for 14 years now and it's achieved very little, so I don't have much hope for the future. 

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Henry Smith was actually backup to Goram (only 2 keepers in that squad). Presumably during Jim Leighton's post-Man U slump.

Good point, true. My abiding memory of Henry Smith is him flapping at crosses like he was trying to shoo away a cloud of midgies. 

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I'm sure there is a deadline of 24 hours prior you have to name your squad for the game, and then the official starting XI and named subs are announced 90 minutes prior to the match starting.  The actual teamlines will be submitted even ahead of that, but 90 minutes is standard for it being published.

Friendlies have more relaxed rules (I'm sure I've seen 60 minutes in the past?), but each competition has its own stipulations.  Even the Juniors have it, but it's not very well enforced.

Of course, any injuries that occur prior to the match but after the official teamlines are published can mean the whole thing changes.

Does that affect what UEFA have to do in terms of publishing the information on their website as it's changed throughout today.

On 22/05/2024 at 11:53, Skyline Drifter said:

Hanley's every bit as influential as Cooper. Suspect he may captain if on the pitch and Robertson isn't. I think he has before. Honestly think if he was considering dropping a centre back it would be Souttar

On 22/05/2024 at 11:57, CM. said:

Agree with your point on how influental Hanley is but McGregor then McTominay/Tierney would be next in line for captaincy behind Robertson I reckon

On 22/05/2024 at 11:59, Pie Of The Month said:

It's McGinn that's been captain when Robertson goes off or doesn't play and I think even McTominay before McGregor.

So in a good week for me in reading Stevie Clarke's mind weeks in advance, lets add this. 

Hanley took over as captain when Robbo went off despite McGinn, McGregor, Tierney being on the pitch. McTominay wasnt but I doubt that's relevant. I guess that was partly a gesture towards his 50th cap but I'm not sure its solely that.

I'd say in starting Hanley this week twice Clarke's confirming he wants him starting in the Euros. Looks like he'll get the nod ahead of Porteous next week. Hanley's clearly still one of the first names on the sheet. Which is good news for QoS at least. 🙂

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So in a good week for me in reading Stevie Clarke's mind weeks in advance, lets add this. 

Hanley took over as captain when Robbo went off despite McGinn, McGregor, Tierney being on the pitch. McTominay wasnt but I doubt that's relevant. I guess that was partly a gesture towards his 50th cap but I'm not sure its solely that.

I'd say in starting Hanley this week twice Clarke's confirming he wants him starting in the Euros. Looks like he'll get the nod ahead of Porteous next week. Hanley's clearly still one of the first names on the sheet. Which is good news for QoS at least. 🙂

Aye good shout. In comparison I've been way off with a few things :lol: Including the squad numbers with Shankland indeed moving to 9.

I like Hanley (Blackburns my English team and he was a good servant for them too) and have no problem with him starting at the tournament but I just can't fathom what Porteous has done to be dropped. Strong competition for places a good problem to have though.

Edited by CM.

Porteous, Hendry and Tierney would be my three starting centre halves.

Tierney is of course a stick-on. I think Clarke has a preferences for Hendry and then depending on fitness, sharpness, and opposition that dictates the decision to play either Hanley or Porteous. Looks like Hanley is being geared up for the Germany game. 

18 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Henry Smith was actually backup to Goram (only 2 keepers in that squad). Presumably during Jim Leighton's post-Man U slump.

We had a Gunn, Money, Smith . Maxwell Marshall and Maxwell as 3rd choices in the mid to late 80s early 90s, and it was a disgrace that Money wasn't capped

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

Weird question, but how does P&B think our current goalkeepers match up to Alan Rough?

He was our first choice when I was a wee boy, but the only thing I remember about him was that people didn't think he was very good.

He was a clown,  a total disgrace of a keeper, Jock Stein blamed him for the 82 exit, and vowed he would  never play for him again,  but he did.

How he was getting  capped in the early 80s ahead of Leighton. Billy Thomson,  Hamish  McAlpine, just beggars belief

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think my post was anything to do with Hanley so not sure why you're quoting me. 

Gordon got the armband with McGinn still on the pitch too so I'm not really sure you can look into anything that happened last night in terms of the captaincy at all.

4 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Hanley did not look match fit or sharp at all.

Aye, he was a total bombscare when he first started picking up caps, but it eventually became clear why successive managers stuck with him. Finland was a bit of a step back to the old days and he doesn't look ready at all.

Unless something miraculous happens up front, we'll need to be tight at the back to make it out of the group, so hopefully Hanley's game improves quickly. He's very good when he's on it.

4 hours ago, Willie adie said:

He was a clown,  a total disgrace of a keeper, Jock Stein blamed him for the 82 exit, and vowed he would  never play for him again,  but he did.

How he was getting  capped in the early 80s ahead of Leighton. Billy Thomson,  Hamish  McAlpine, just beggars belief

I think George Wood was better option over Rough in the the 1970s too.

Rough played well in the match in Belfast that qualified us for 1982, and brought are very calming influence when brought on a half time during the match in Cardiff when Stein died.

However, he wasn't international standard and it's puzzling why he managed to reach 53 caps.

Quite nice if Dykes is tagging along too. They'll know what kind of personality he has, and he doesn't seem the type to be moping about. It must have been a pisser for him to realise he wasn't going to be playing.

4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I don't think my post was anything to do with Hanley so not sure why you're quoting me. 

Gordon got the armband with McGinn still on the pitch too so I'm not really sure you can look into anything that happened last night in terms of the captaincy at all.

It was about who captains if Robertson is off the pitch. On reflection though, given what Clarke said post match about making a big thing of Hanley's 50th and Gordon's 75th caps it maybe was just to commemorate the occasion and McGinn remains 2nd choice.