Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

5 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Has anyone got any hints and tips for getting to Stuttgart between on the Friday before the game and returning on the Monday? As a group we were waiting to see how the tickets would play out before finalising all the plans. Prices have went up a tad! 

Easyjet Edinburgh to Paris and train to Stuttgart. Train only takes 3 hours. Flights would be a lot cheaper flying out Thursday and coming back Tuesday. Another option is Easyjet Edinburgh to Basle and train via Karlsruhe, also about 3 hours.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Easyjet Edinburgh to Paris and train to Stuttgart. Train only takes 3 hours. Flights would be a lot cheaper flying out Thursday and coming back Tuesday. Another option is Easyjet Edinburgh to Basle and train via Karlsruhe, also about 3 hours.

Aye, that first option was what I'd landed on, reassuring that you came to the same conclusion though, thank you. 👍 

Apologies if this has been answered aswell, but with regards to trains what website is best? 

https://www.sncf.com/en - Is what I think the trains are, however they're not released for another month 

https://www.raileurope.com/en-gb However are selling tickets, is this more of an aftermarket rail site that'll just buy tickets off the first site when they become available? 

55 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye, that first option was what I'd landed on, reassuring that you came to the same conclusion though, thank you. 👍 

Apologies if this has been answered aswell, but with regards to trains what website is best? 

https://www.sncf.com/en - Is what I think the trains are, however they're not released for another month 

https://www.raileurope.com/en-gb However are selling tickets, is this more of an aftermarket rail site that'll just buy tickets off the first site when they become available? 

I find Deutsche Bahn best for buying train tickets, they're already selling tickets from Paris on your dates. Just found another option though, Gatwick to Strasbourg, only 1 hour 20 to Stuttgart from there.

Flying out Thursday and back Monday comes in at 175 euros. Means getting down to London and back of course. An advantage would be that you should find cheaper accommodation in Strasbourg if there's a late train back after the game. 

https://www.volotea.com/en/

P. S. If you go via Paris make sure you have plenty time for getting between the airport and train station, I know loads of people who have missed connections. 

Edited by welshbairn

10 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Has anyone got any hints and tips for getting to Stuttgart between on the Friday before the game and returning on the Monday? As a group we were waiting to see how the tickets would play out before finalising all the plans. Prices have went up a tad! 

After my interrail faux pas we’re now flying Glasgow - Brussels Charleroi (Friday - Monday return)and train to stuttgart which takes around 5 hours although going to stay overnight in Liege on the Friday as accommodation is a fair bit cheaper hotel stuttgart was booked sat/sun previously 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

I only have tickets to the Hungary game (via the ballot), but flying out to Stuttgart on Wednesday 19/06 from Edinburgh with Eurowings (£160 including hold luggage and seat upgrade). Flight gets into Stuttgart at 1700, so should be able to make it to the fan park for the Switzerland game in plenty of time.

I am meeting my brother (who I am going with) at Stuttgart Airport as he is going to Belgium/Netherlands for a bit first and driving to Stuttgart from there. We are getting the ferry back from Rotterdam to Harwich on the Monday and then driving back to Glasgow from there on the Tuesday morning (overnight ferry). His ferry is around £360 return.

Edited by BishyTON

On 29/01/2024 at 22:48, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Full b!own inter rail carstairs-munich-carstairs-stuttgart-carstairs 

Some of the prices for flights are horrendous 

So got the final arrangements sorted (hopefully)  

Germany game

Carstairs to Munich back to Carstairs all trains

never really travelled through Europe by train so quite looking forward to it,  sleeper down overnight so miss out England at night and maybe the same on the way back 

Hungary

fly to Charleroi train to/from stuttgart fly back to Edinburgh (probably have a night in Belgium on the Friday on way out) 

4 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

So got the final arrangements sorted (hopefully)  

Germany game

Carstairs to Munich back to Carstairs all trains

never really travelled through Europe by train so quite looking forward to it,  sleeper down overnight so miss out England at night and maybe the same on the way back 

Hungary

fly to Charleroi train to/from stuttgart fly back to Edinburgh (probably have a night in Belgium on the Friday on way out) 

How much is that costing for the Germany game. Thinking of flying to Charleroi then getting the train from there into Munich overnight. 

10 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

How much is that costing for the Germany game. Thinking of flying to Charleroi then getting the train from there into Munich overnight. 

We have bought the 4 day pass for inter rail (25% discount with Euro24 tickets) 2 days used there and back, but on top of that the sleeper down supplement (seat is free, bed is extra) and the Eurostar reservation too. We'll then use the remaining 2 days for the Hungary game to and from Stuttgart 

Booked yesterday. Only going for the Switzerland game in Cologne (no tickets mind).

Managed to get a flight to Cologne Bonn via Stanstead from Edinburgh (leave at 16.50) on Monday 17th for about £140. Gets there at 22.25.

Flying back same route on the Friday. A substantial wait at Stanstead but accounting for boarding and security etc then a few episodes of a TV series and/or a book will pass the time quick enough. Leave Cologne Bonn at 11.25 and get to Edinburgh at 16.30. Slightly cheaper than the outbound (again, two bookings).

A bit more expensive than I would have liked but leaving it so late it's decent compared to other prices kicking around and so much less hassle.

Flying from Manchester and staying in Düsseldorf for a week from the 18th to the 25th.

Looking at getting to Stuttgart from Düsseldorf on the 23rd, I don’t have any match tickets and the train is looking like it’s going to be £100 plus which is obviously pretty steep but I’ll pay it if o have to. Just wanted to check if there aren’t any cheaper tickets or something I’m missing to get there. Any help appreciated.

Edited by Ocelot1877

19 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Flying from Manchester and staying in Düsseldorf for a week from the 18th to the 25th.

Looking at getting to Stuttgart from Düsseldorf on the 23rd, I don’t have any match tickets and the train is looking like it’s going to be £100 plus which is obviously pretty steep but I’ll pay it if o have to. Just wanted to check if there aren’t any cheaper tickets or something I’m missing to get there. Any help appreciated.

This is a direct, albeit slow train.

Screenshot_20240214_122411_Chrome.jpg

12 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

This is a direct, albeit slow train.

Screenshot_20240214_122411_Chrome.jpg

Thank you! I was planning on getting this train, I should have said in my original post was looking to get a return back to Düsseldorf after the game has finished, those trains seem to be the pricy ones 

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Could anyone who's used Flix trains in Germany tell me about any downsides to them? They can be a lot cheaper.

This is 2nd hand opinion but I've been told a few times that they're totally fine.