Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Could anyone who's used Flix trains in Germany tell me about any downsides to them? They can be a lot cheaper.

I've used them a few times in Germany, it's no frills and usually mobbed because it's cheap but I had no real complaints. Maybe slightly less comfortable if travelling long distance than DB standard class and one of the trains I got in the summer had no air con but the windows opened so wasn't a big deal.

The major downside to them is on most lines they won't run more than a train or two a day so if they cancel you're either not getting to your destination that day or at best you might get a spot on one of their buses unlike DB where a cancelled train opens up the possibility of any route to get where you need to be. I wouldn't rely on it if I needed to be somewhere that day but I've always just been travelling about and been fairly flexible so it wouldn't have been the end of the world if it was cancelled.

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone flying into Paris on the 12th/13th of June?

No a couple of boys going that route ,I'm sure they are booked on a  overnight bus to Munich from there 

19 hours ago, doulikefish said:

No a couple of boys going that route ,I'm sure they are booked on a  overnight bus to Munich from there 

We're staying the night in Paris then getting a train down to Augsburg. 

Two of us going over but have no tickets.  Awaiting on portal reopening like so many others.

We fly in to Stuttgart the night before the Germany game.  Staying in hotel near Stuttgart Airport and will be based in Stuttgart the two weeks.

Going to get an early morning train from Stuttgart to Munich.  Got an Airbnb for the night of the game.

On way back to Stuttgart, plan to take train to Lichtenstein, stop for a few hours then carry on to Zurich in Switzerland for a night.  Then train back to Stuttgart next day.

For game in Cologne it will be a train from Stuttgart and back the following day as got an Airbnb.

All I have to do is plan the trains.  Don't know where to begin!

Never heard of flixtrain but if like flixbus which I have used in Germany and other countries I would assume it would be OK.

7 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Two of us going over but have no tickets.  Awaiting on portal reopening like so many others.

We fly in to Stuttgart the night before the Germany game.  Staying in hotel near Stuttgart Airport and will be based in Stuttgart the two weeks.

Going to get an early morning train from Stuttgart to Munich.  Got an Airbnb for the night of the game.

On way back to Stuttgart, plan to take train to Lichtenstein, stop for a few hours then carry on to Zurich in Switzerland for a night.  Then train back to Stuttgart next day.

For game in Cologne it will be a train from Stuttgart and back the following day as got an Airbnb.

Never heard of flixtrain but if like flixbus which I have used in Germany and other countries I would assume it would be OK.

Only problem I've heard with flixtrain is there aren't many of them, so if one's cancelled and you're in a hurry you could end up paying a lot for a last minute DB train. Could be a risk worth taking though as they can be a whole lot cheaper.

Not strictly travel related but interested to know what people are doing for spending money. I have a credit card with zero fees abroad that I usually use but would rather set what I have beforehand than run up a huge bill to pay off.

Tempted to get a monzo account or similar, although I’ve heard a lot of Germany still prefers cash.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Not strictly travel related but interested to know what people are doing for spending money. I have a credit card with zero fees abroad that I usually use but would rather set what I have beforehand than run up a huge bill to pay off.

Tempted to get a monzo account or similar, although I’ve heard a lot of Germany still prefers cash.

I use Chase pretty much exclusively abroad. Fee free cash and transactions at full bank rate plus 1% cash back on transactions. Will have some cash for tips, small bills etc. Been ok using card when been in Germany before but if a lot of places are cash only (I suspect stadiums and fan zones more likely to be card only) will just lift some at ATMs

When I travel (visited 55 countries) I have my fees free bank card but also have some cash in local currency on me just in case. But I always pay in local currency when I can whether that is card or cash.

If some are happy just taking cash then worth shopping around for best rates and not leaving it to last minute, as it can save you a pretty penny.

Maybe you can load money on to you credit card and offset most of the bill so it is smaller/non existent when back.  Any excess money you can spend as normal here. 

Look at money saving expert about best cards, cash and speding aboroad. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/destinations/ 

I think the other thing about Germany is a lot of shops used to be closed on Sundays but not sure if that is still the case.

Edited by Sugar_Army

I use a revolut card which I believe is widespread in Germany so could be handy for some last minute tickets trading or swapping, especially if we get through to the knockouts. A handy thing is you can transfer money with a codename so no need to swap bank details or email addresses if it's an in person trade. Obviously if it was an online trade you'd want serious background and id info before agreeing to anything.

On 03/03/2024 at 07:21, lubo_blaha said:

Monzo for me for each Scotland trip. Tend to just fire money into that account each month so I’ve got a bit squirrelled away. The interest rate is decent, plus it’s handy for splitting bills. 

On 02/03/2024 at 11:55, Sugar_Army said:

Try using omio.com as it gives train, bus and flying options.

For example, Stuttgart to Munich on the 14th gives these results...

https://www.omio.com/app/search-frontend/results/ED80D4E68AB3942F1B84B54B7565080EC/train?locale=en

On 03/03/2024 at 07:21, lubo_blaha said:

Revolut is the best card I've used while overseas, although too good at indicating the time of your drink purchases!! I relied on it for all my trips to Aberdeen and Scotland last year.

In Frankfurt, I noticed several places that only accepted cards when I travelled with the Dons. Berlin was the same the previous year. 

Edited by betting competition

19 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Revolut is the best card I've used while overseas, although too good at indicating the time of your drink purchases!! I relied on it for all my trips to Aberdeen and Scotland last year.

In Frankfurt, I noticed several places that only accepted cards when I travelled with the Dons. Berlin was the same the previous year. 

Good to know. I’ve read that quite a lot of places are still cash only as well which is really helpful.

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

Really? I've been surprised in Germany about the amount of places that were cash only. Last time I was in Berlin was just before Covid, so maybe it's changed since. I was in Munich at the end of last year and a lot more places were taking card, but nowhere was card only.