Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

4 minutes ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Anyone else staying in Bonn ahead of game in Cologne?

Yes we're travelling up from Augsburg match day staying Bonn overnight then back to Augsburg following day. 

15 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Really? I've been surprised in Germany about the amount of places that were cash only. Last time I was in Berlin was just before Covid, so maybe it's changed since. I was in Munich at the end of last year and a lot more places were taking card, but nowhere was card only.

I was in Munich for a stag do last April and most places we went to took cash and cards. Never had any issues in bars and restaurants. 

The wife and I have a Halifax credit card that we only use for holidays. So I used that.

It offers no fee ATM withdrawals or point of sale transactions. I just top loaded it before I went and I don’t think there was much if anything to pay when I came back. I can only remember withdrawing Euros once when we were there 4 nights. I think that was to give somebody a sub.

The Post Office do a decent holiday pre-pay Mastercard too,  Just load it up with Euros and away you go. 

I've used Revolut loads of times but generally for 2 or 3 day trips.

The standard card allows for only £200 of ATM withdrawals and £1000 total usage per month before adding on a 2% fee.

Since I'm going to be spending a lot more than that on a 10 day trip I'll have some money on Revolut as a back up but my main card will be Chase.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Thought I was smart booking a flight to Amsterdam but now struggling to find a train to Bonn on 17th June. 

Anyone got any advice of alternative ways of getting to Bonn from Amsterdam? Tried via Utrecht but can get to Utrecht but Utrecht to Bonn is sold out. 

Just to add flight doesn't get to Amsterdam till 1725

Edited by underdogunderdog underdog

9 minutes ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Thought I was smart booking a flight to Amsterdam but now struggling to find a train to Bonn on 17th June. 

Anyone got any advice of alternative ways of getting to Bonn from Amsterdam? Tried via Utrecht but can get to Utrecht but Utrecht to Bonn is sold out. 

I just looked at Amsterdam to Cologne on that day on thevDB site, there are plenty of trains available.  Once in Cologne get a S-Bahn train to Bonn.

Screenshot_20240305_211407_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I just looked at Amsterdam to Cologne on that day on thevDB site, there are plenty of trains available.  Once in Cologne get a S-Bahn train to Bonn.

Screenshot_20240305_211407_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for reply.

I've been on there tonight but can't get anything booked for after I arrive. It shows as if they are available but when I go to book part of journey is not available 

2 hours ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Flixbus goes direct from Amsterdam to Cologne/Bonn airport.

On 06/03/2024 at 00:23, lubo_blaha said:

Flixbus goes direct from Amsterdam to Cologne/Bonn airport.

Just find yourself a route to Cologne or even Dusseldorf and there local trains to get you into Bonn. Much easier from Cologne of course but from Dus is possible direct too.

On 05/03/2024 at 21:02, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Some Amsterdam to Cologne trains aren't available to book yet. Here's DB a few months back replying to someone asking similar about Amsterdam and Brussels trains and further down the thread they suggest it might not go on sale until 3 months before so I'd suggest trying again later in the month and seeing if you get any joy.

On 03/03/2024 at 07:21, lubo_blaha said:

Not strictly travel related but interested to know what people are doing for spending money. I have a credit card with zero fees abroad that I usually use but would rather set what I have beforehand than run up a huge bill to pay off.

Tempted to get a monzo account or similar, although I’ve heard a lot of Germany still prefers cash.

I was in Berlin in November and I barely dipped into the 50 euros cash I had with me. There might be the odd place that is cash only, and perhaps it's more common in smaller places, but I'm planning to be relying on my fee-free credit card and just having a small amount of cash handy just in case.

2 hours ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Nice one. Going yourself or with a group?

No, myself and my better half.  The rest of the group will be in Cologne, easy enough to get the train up there..

21 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Booked to stay provisionally in Garching on the outskirts of Munich for the Germany game, seems to be decent transport links if not overly exciting,. anyone been there or staying there too?

You're not far from. the Allianz Arena and about 25 minutes from Marienplatz by U-Bahn.

1 hour ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Booked to stay provisionally in Garching on the outskirts of Munich for the Germany game, seems to be decent transport links if not overly exciting,. anyone been there or staying there too?

I'm staying there, it's a University town so hopefully some decent bars.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm staying there, it's a University town so hopefully some decent bars.

I'd expect there to be plenty in Garching itself, but as said above you're in a perfect location for the Allianz arena, 20ish minutes from the city centre at Marienplatz by direct u-bahn train but also all down that underground line (U6) there are plenty of places to eat/drink. Quite a studenty area right down the west side of the Englischer Garten - if you jump off the train at Studentstadt, Alte Heide or Munchner Freiheit you'll be within seconds of a decent boozer.

If the weather's decent a wee afternoon in the Englischer Garten with a beer and a currywurst is *very* pleasant.