Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

Any word on fanzone, will they be ticketed ? We have pretty much won a watch with flight to Cologne on 13th and accommodation booked months ago but we have a 12 pointer, an 11 pointer and AN other so highly likely we wont all get tickets for each Scotland game. Have got some matches in the previous ballot and will see how SSC goes for 11 pointer this week but just planning for worst case scenario. 

Completely changed my bookings up after initially just being booked in Frankfurt. 

I arrive the morning of the opening game into Frankfurt, so booked Ingolstadt for three nights as you seem to be able to get a direct train there from Frankfurt Airport - on to Bonn for four and then Mannheim for three nights. 

Now just need to work all the trains out!

5 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

When do we think train tickets will be available to book? 

If you go on bahn.de and put in for the day you're wanting to book it tells you when it will be on sale, most dates in June go on sale this month

If you're going to have tickets for matches there's going to be deals for the ICE trains so it depends as well so you could wait on the full details of how that works.

10 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

When do we think train tickets will be available to book? 

Jan 17th for special offers, think I'll go for the interrail pass, gives you more flexibility with timing.

https://www.deutschebahn.com/en/presse/press_releases/Fan-offers-and-additional-seats-for-UEFA-EURO-2024-12531580

If you don’t board the outgoing flight of a return journey, do they cancel the return leg? Originally booked Amsterdam return as staying in Cologne, but will now ditch the outgoing on and go the day before to Munich. But ideally then just get the return flight home from Amsterdam.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

If you don’t board the outgoing flight of a return journey, do they cancel the return leg? Originally booked Amsterdam return as staying in Cologne, but will now ditch the outgoing on and go the day before to Munich. But ideally then just get the return flight home from Amsterdam.

Depends on the airline, Ryanair are fine about it, others like BA cancel the return leg if you don't board the flight out.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Jan 17th for special offers, think I'll go for the interrail pass, gives you more flexibility with timing.

https://www.deutschebahn.com/en/presse/press_releases/Fan-offers-and-additional-seats-for-UEFA-EURO-2024-12531580

So basically with the inter rail pass you choose say five set days you are going to travel within that month and then you can just jump on and off whatever trains you want?

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

So basically with the inter rail pass you choose say five set days you are going to travel within that month and then you can just jump on and off whatever trains you want?

I think so but you're probably better off booking the ICE trains during the Euros. Means you can hang around the next day after a game and travel when you want.

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think so but you're probably better off booking the ICE trains during the Euros. Means you can hang around the next day after a game and travel when you want.

Cheers, assuming you can just book a specific ICE train with your inter rail pass then!

Head is bursting with the different hotel bookings and variations this morning 😂

Edinburgh-Stansted-Memmingen on the 13th, booked pretty much the second we were drawn so got it for about £90. Will likely base ourselves in Memmingen or Mannheim then find somewhere to stay in Cologne for the Switzerland game. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Cheers, assuming you can just book a specific ICE train with your inter rail pass then!

Head is bursting with the different hotel bookings and variations this morning 😂

I stupidly drank a load of Ouzo yesterday waiting for the draw, and went into panic mode booking everything. Only had a couple of things to change this morning, I had the same idea as you about flying into Berlin, dumping my bags at the hotel, and straight on the train to Munich on the 13th. Then I looked at the logistics and thought it would be too much of a faff so I changed my flight in to Munich on the same day. Was able to delay my hotel room in Berlin till the 15th so it won't cost a fortune.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I stupidly drank a load of Ouzo yesterday waiting for the draw, and went into panic mode booking everything. Only had a couple of things to change this morning, I had the same idea as you about flying into Berlin, dumping my bags at the hotel, and straight on the train to Munich on the 13th. Then I looked at the logistics and thought it would be too much of a faff so I changed my flight in to Munich on the same day. Was able to delay my hotel room in Berlin till the 15th so it won't cost a fortune.

Nice when it works out like that! 

It’s all worked out pretty perfectly for me, as group A was my only possibility of seeing all three games. 

I've got 4 hotel rooms in central Cologne for sale, Thursday 13th June for 1 night. 

Change of plans means we're heading straight to Munich instead.

Paid £70 for each room. They are now selling on booking.com at £300 per room for the same date. 

Anyone want a bargain room (or 4)? Selling at original price of £70 a room.

Probably jumped the gun a bit with flights and now won't really save anything versus just booking flights to munich / from stuttgart. But I'm looking forward to the scenic route on the way over and should be comfy at least.

Only got to book the train from London to Augsburg now which can be done on the 18th of December.

All in should be a kick in the arse over £600 for travel to/from Germany and appartments near to the three host cities which I'd have bitten your hand off for before I booked anything.

Should be around €45 for the trains between Augsburg/Cologne & Cologne/Stuttgart which is nothing really.

All in relatively pleased how its worked out.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, ApeHands said:

I've got 4 hotel rooms in central Cologne for sale, Thursday 13th June for 1 night. 

Change of plans means we're heading straight to Munich instead.

Paid £70 for each room. They are now selling on booking.com at £300 per room for the same date. 

Anyone want a bargain room (or 4)? Selling at original price of £70 a room.

I'd be interested in how you get on changing the name of the bill payer, I've got a similar problem.

As mentioned previously, mate booked us flights and accommodation for Stuttgart as a base. 

Managed to book a room in Munich and Colonge for night of games via Airbnb (told hosts why we are coming and they are ok with just using it to crash).

Will take early train from Stuttgart, dump bags, watch games on big screens (doubt will get tickets).  That way we will not have to worry about fannying about getting late/early back.  Will do a bit of touristy stuff day after game then a late train back to stuttgart.

Discussed possibly taking a train from Stuttgart to Zurich at some point for a day/night as never been to Switzerland.  Will be great if we have pumped them so can swan aboot think we are erchie. 😁

Managed to sort tickets for Hungary, ex colleague got lucky in the first ballot and I got lucky that his luck turned out to be that game.

3 hours to Stuttgart on the train, means I won’t even need to take the Monday off work.

We booked Edinburgh Prague on the 12th for £90 and then a £20 Flixbus to Munich on Saturday night, got as far as 4 nights in a hotel in Munich for our group, one of whom is coming home the day after the opening game but the rest of the trip is still up in the air

Certainly not booking a return flight at this stage